• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operencia: The Stolen Sun coming to Xbox One & PC (now exclusive to the Epic Games Store)

Shin

Banned
Operencia: The Stolen Sun, ZEN Studios’ first-person dungeon RPG, will be released for Xbox One as a console exclusive in 2019 alongside the previously announced PC version, which will now be released exclusively through the Epic Games Store, the developer announced.
The Xbox One version will also be available on Xbox Game Pass.

Official annoucement:
Everyone here at Zen was at the edge of our seats watching Operencia debut to the world at the Kinda Funny Games Showcase in December, and all of us were glad that the reception was very positive from the RPG community.
Since then we have put even more work into the game, and did a closed beta event to make Operencia even better by incorporating ideas provided by the testers.
This dedication to quality caught the eye of our friends at Microsoft and Epic, which quickly led to mutual cooperation that will help us elevate Operencia in a way we would not be able to by ourselves.
We really believe the game deserves this, and this is a fantastic opportunity to share the vision of the team with a lot of players.

If you are hearing about the game for the first time, the land of Operencia is an unconventional fantasy world where history meets legend – a faraway land referenced in countless Central European folktales told for hundreds of years.
For the first time ever, these stories all occur in the context of one single universe. Adding further depth, real-life historical figures populate the game, such as more legendary versions of King Attila and his wife Réka.
You’ll explore a variety of locations from fairy tale settings (e.g., castles, tombs and forests) to fantastical versions of storied landmarks anyone can physically visit today.

The talented team behind Operencia: The Stolen Sun has gone to great lengths to ensure that everything in the game feels familiar to RPG players, yet still modern and novel.
Through a classic tile-based movement system, you will explore the far reaches of the land, engaging in strategic turn-based battles at every turn.
The entire quest to free the abducted Sun King, Napkirály—thereby saving Operencia from endless days of night—comes rife with malevolent monsters, devious traps and mind-bending puzzles. Perhaps even a three-headed dragon…

Credit / Source: Gematsu & Operencia (pdf file)

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Interesting game coming from Zen. I love these Dungeon Master-esque type games though, so color me intrigued.

Dunki

They are already getting hammered on social media and steam for this. Perosnally I think it is even more scummy than what Deep Silver did because they used Steam as beta platform aswell.

Also Shin Shin sorry for not seeing your thread before creating a new one.^^

Shin

Banned
All good D Dunki , I'm all about the news so doesn't matter who posts it as long as they put effort into it and it's interesting :)

CuNi

I think this was a good move for them. Who would have known about this game without it?

Do you really think more people will buy this now?
It looks like a very niche game to begin with and to now even skip on Steam sales just boggles my mind.
It's like you actually don't want people to play your game.

dirthead

Banned
Do you really think more people will buy this now?
It looks like a very niche game to begin with and to now even skip on Steam sales just boggles my mind.
It's like you actually don't want people to play your game.

If it costs less than it would in Steam, it's better than Steam by a long shot.

Why are people loyal to fucking stores? All Steam is is vendor lock in.

DiscoJer

I think this is a case of a game that would get ignored on steam, since there's a lot of dungeon crawlers. Sometimes it's better to be a little fish in a little pond than a big pond

I think this is a case of a game that would get ignored on steam, since there's a lot of dungeon crawlers. Sometimes it's better to be a little fish in a little pond than a big pond

I disagree, the first Legend of Grimlock did very well on steam and this game looks to have production values that surpass that and the sequel.

There's really no other first person dungeon crawlers with those production values other than Might and Magic X and Ubisoft will probably never make another one of those.............

The competition for first person turn based dungeon crawlers is hardly nothing. Like there hasn't been a good first person dungeon crawler with a budget in nearly 5 years since Legend of Grimlock 2.

edit: Forgot about Vaporum but that one slipped by the wayside, still though grid-based movement first person dungeon crawlers is a very niche genre with little competition.

Last edited:

CuNi

If it costs less than it would in Steam, it's better than Steam by a long shot.

Why are people loyal to fucking stores? All Steam is is vendor lock in.

So steam, a place where I can buy the game online, in a multitude of local shops and key sites is a vendor lock, but epic who only provides one singular place to buy games is not a vendor lock. I never understood how this is a argument for epic in any way. Also if it costs less then the whole point is lost. If it costs less they make less money from the same amount of sales. They would make more by the sheer amount of steam users that could potentially buy this. Just look on the Twitter of Metro, it's all just negative feedback. Not even the parent company THQ Nordic nor the author of the books thinks its good to put the game on Epics store. And when a big company like THQ Nordic itself tells you in its PR language that this is not what they intended, then you can already see that its going to be just Indie titles there who think they know how to sell their game best but obviously actually don't.

dirthead

Banned
So steam, a place where I can buy the game online, in a multitude of local shops and key sites is a vendor lock, but epic who only provides one singular place to buy games is not a vendor lock. I never understood how this is a argument for epic in any way. Also if it costs less then the whole point is lost. If it costs less they make less money from the same amount of sales. They would make more by the sheer amount of steam users that could potentially buy this. Just look on the Twitter of Metro, it's all just negative feedback. Not even the parent company THQ Nordic nor the author of the books thinks its good to put the game on Epics store. And when a big company like THQ Nordic itself tells you in its PR language that this is not what they intended, then you can already see that its going to be just Indie titles there who think they know how to sell their game best but obviously actually don't.

Epic's vendor lock in too. That's why I always recommend GOG. But if Epic is cheaper than Steam, there's really no reason people shouldn't go with them over it.

bati

still though grid-based movement first person dungeon crawlers is a very niche genre with little competition.

Exactly, which is why I think this might be one of the rare cases where bad publicity is better than no publicity. I wasn't even aware of the game's existence before this and I'm someone who closely follows the rpg genre, including dungeon crawlers. But after the news broke the game came into a spotlight and I was able to mark it down for future reference.

cireza

I can't stand these kinds of PC huds, full of tiny icons with colors everywhere. And probably a shit-ton of stats to read for each icon, each line of information being in a different color than the previous one etc...

Hendrick's

Releasing tomorrow on Gamepass. I'm awfully excited to play this. Legend of Grimrock was OK, this is looking to bring me back to Dungeon Master greatness.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

First review is up: Gamespot - 8.0

THE GOOD
  • Wonderful art design with stunning visuals
  • Fluid turn-based combat that offers a lot of room for versatile play
  • Intriguing characters who work well even without dialogue choices

THE BAD
  • Some puzzles have arbitrary solutions that significantly hinder progress
  • The player character's move pool is far shallower than those of their companions

Top Bottom