• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: Sony might anounce PS4 Price-cut tomorrow, in State of Play

Jason28

Has a tiny dick and smaller e-peen
Yesterday we found out that Sony sold 1,9 M PS4 consoles this quarter (April-June) . Last year, the same quarter they sold 3,2 M consoles.
I think it's time for a PS4 price-cut ($299 > $199), taking into consideration the PS5 launch in a few months, and tomorrow State of Play sounds like a great place for this anouncement.

What do you think, Gaf ?

Keep the price of the PS4 @ $299, launch PS5 with an entry price at $399, market it around why buy a PS4 @ $299 when you can play the same games at much higher fidelity on PS5 along with great exclusives at just $100 over PS4. Convert future PS4 owners to PS5 day one buyers.

JordanN

Banned
They have stock issues. So why make it cheaper if the console sells for $299 anyways?
Wasn't the PS2 $99 back in 2006? And yet it was still selling anyway.

Edit: It was 2009 they slashed it. But the PS2 wasn't officially ended untill 2013.

Last edited:

Kerotan

No chance. They could be selling millions more at the current €300 price but as we know they've shifted production to the ps5.

They couldn't have seen this coming but Imo Sony are suffering now because they refused to be brave and produce more ps4's to sell at €199. Let's say they kept production higher last year with the aim of permanently reducing the price to €199 this summer, they would of had millions in reserve and a better capacity to restock all through Covid.

They'd also be able to change their plan and just keep selling at €299. But they played it safe, decided they would never drop it pre ps5 to €199 and maybe never will after. Ultimately this is why the console won't do over 130M which it easily could have.

ACESHIGH

Banned
It's either a significant price drop or just stop producing PS4 at this point.

Soon the used market should be flooded of people selling their PS4 to get a PS5. Why waste money on a PS4 when you can get a PS5 with PS4 BC?

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
No chance. They could be selling millions more at the current €300 price but as we know they've shifted production to the ps5.

They couldn't have seen this coming but Imo Sony are suffering now because they refused to be brave and produce more ps4's to sell at €199. Let's say they kept production higher last year with the aim of permanently reducing the price to €199 this summer, they would of had millions in reserve and a better capacity to restock all through Covid.

They'd also be able to change their plan and just keep selling at €299. But they played it safe, decided they would never drop it pre ps5 to €199 and maybe never will after. Ultimately this is why the console won't do over 130M which it easily could have.

You can't just drop the price willy nilly, Sony needs to actually make money and are constrained by cost of producing the thing. As far as I know, the PS4 is still being produced in the same process node, they still have the hard drive, these things add cost and it just might not be possible to sell it for 199 permanently.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
gen001584.jpg

Soon the used market should be flooded of people selling their PS4 to get a PS5. Why waste money on a PS4 when you can get a PS5 with PS4 BC?
If they do drop the price of the PS4 it'll be soon since Sony has shown that they support each gen for at least 10 years. That goes back to PS1.

Didn`t they already confirm right in the announcement that they wouldn`t release any information on price/preorder etc tomorrow?

Keep the price of the PS4 @ $299, launch PS5 with an entry price at $399, market it around why buy a PS4 @ $299 when you can play the same games at much higher fidelity on PS5 along with great exclusives at just $100 over PS4. Convert future PS4 owners to PS5 day one buyers.
What about the PS4 pro?

It's crazy to see that consoles don't drop in price anymore. Otherwise I would be interested in buying a PSVR but not at this price.

Rather old tech sold at a premium price, it's quite hard to swallow.
The small sales volume means they had to sell it at a profit. The price will drop when the replacement get released. Overall it is still one of the cheaper VR option out there.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God

PS4 is too good on sales to stop producing now. A price drop comes because the parts get cheaper to produce, also, emerging markets gets more units with this. Also², not all games will be BC

Agent X

I believe a price drop will happen, but not this soon.

The likely scenario is that they'll reduce the price to under $200 for the holiday shopping season, like they did the last two years. This time around, the price drop will be permanent.

The generation gap will be distinct, and PS4 will be firmly entrenched in its new role as the go-to system for casual and budget-minded gamers.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It's crazy to see that consoles don't drop in price anymore. Otherwise I would be interested in buying a PSVR but not at this price.

No, its what happens as chip-set fabrication sizes shrink. Back in the day shifting down to a smaller node meant big savings as not only could they get many more chips per wafer, but all the related parts (power, cooling, etc.) dropped significantly cost-wise.

Now its barely worth the cost of re-fabbing because the gains are so much smaller.

Also thanks to the consoles being part of the standard x64 tech-tree, its easier to just replace with more performant parts at the same price every few years. So the "value" increases while overall cost stays more or less the same.

Dampf

I don't see a point in buying a dying console. Even for older games, I would rather wait and buy the PS5 to play these as well.

You'd have to set a price at $99 for me to consider it.

supernova8

Banned
Yesterday we found out that Sony sold 1,9 M PS4 consoles this quarter (April-June) . Last year, the same quarter they sold 3,2 M consoles.
I think it's time for a PS4 price-cut ($299 > $199), taking into consideration the PS5 launch in a few months, and tomorrow State of Play sounds like a great place for this anouncement.

What do you think, Gaf ?

They said they won't talk business (presumably of any kind) and that would include stuff like price cuts.

Not sure, as a listed company on the stock market, they're allowed to flat out lie.

Last edited:
I don't see a point in buying a dying console. Even for older games, I would rather wait and buy the PS5 to play these as well.

People who don't own a PS4 right now, are not the type of people who would rush out to buy a PS5 this year. Different buying habits, remember? Doesn't matter that you won't buy it now, because you likely already bought a current gen console years ago.

I hope not. I’m planning to sell mine for PS5 funds.
You really, really need to sell yours ASAP. Value is dropping by the DAY.
Because if $399 is a thing for PS5 DE, they have to lower Pro and Slim prices to fit that ecosystem, let's say:

PS5: $499
PS5 DE: $399
PS4 Pro: $299
PS4 Slim: $199
Why does so many enthuisiasts assume the stop gap mid gen upgrade have any chance of surviving? 1X is already dead, I thought people would have taken the hint by now. PS4 Pro is a waste of resources to produce any longer.

Neo Blaster

You do know there are extreme budget consumers that haven't bought a PS4 so far waiting for the lowest price, don't you? Why would they suddenly grab the most expensive system?

Neo Blaster

Why does so many enthuisiasts assume the stop gap mid gen upgrade have any chance of surviving? 1X is already dead, I thought people would have taken the hint by now. PS4 Pro is a waste of resources to produce any longer.
Dude, I totally agree with you, my assumption was based on Sony keeping Pro. Once next gen consoles arrive, mid-gen ones are no more premium choices, so they become pointless. They should just ditch Pro like MS did to 1X.

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
It would be a great idea lowering the price of the PS4 to 199€ just before next gen, actually. But only if there is accumulated stock, which I doubt because PS4 sales have been surpassing Sony's expectations for two years now.

Neo Blaster

Then when PS5 is cheap enough another system is about to launch. By your logic one will never get a console.

longdi

Banned
Sadly what's missing from ps4 is Sony stopped researching miniaturisation efforts.

A low cost ps4-tiny is missing from their line up

It feels they will see ps4 as it is and discontinue it suddenly.

Last edited:

farmerboy

Console hardware 9% of last qtr earnings.

I'd say a price cut would be good because if they sell more, it would help the other 91% of earnings (game sales, mtx, subs) grow more.

yurinka

What do you think, Gaf ?
I think a YoY in hardware sales was expected because of its late point in the life cycle of the console, but it became bigger because most physical stores were closed due to covid lockdown. For that same reason, game sales and particularly digital ones skyrocketed. So they shouldn't worry about that decline.

But as of now the console is $299 and the Pro $399, which is way expensive for this point on its lifetime, but since the console kept given them hystoric record hardware, software and services sales and revenue every year they didn't apply price cuts beacause they weren't needed.

Now that PS5 is coming, it would make sense to reduce the price to $199 for the main console and $299 for the Pro. This would push PS4 sales before most people shift their focus to next gen and after PS5 launch would help them to keep the PS4 as cheap entry point console specially to focus targets like families (and they would have for them Dreams, Sackboy Adventures, etc.) and developing countries where people has less budget for games and consoles have insane taxes.

Because if $399 is a thing for PS5 DE, they have to lower Pro and Slim prices to fit that ecosystem, let's say:

PS5: $499
PS5 DE: $399
PS4 Pro: $299
PS4 Slim: $199
It look nice, but I think it's more realistic to expect PS5 DE $449. They would be already making a big effort selling PS5 at 499 and DE at 449 way under their cost.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
OP, I believe your opinion is that should do so, not that they will.

The only way they can really justify another price cut as consoles are flying off the shelves, is if they were able to get a super-slim to market which reduces their production costs.

However, all the reports points to a massive manufacturing effort by SONY for the PS5 launch, so they can get as many sold under this pandemic as possible.

That doesn’t leave a lot of room for a new PS4 SKU.

OP, I believe your opinion is that should do so, not that they will.

The only way they can really justify another price cut as consoles are flying off the shelves, is if they were able to get a super-slim to market which reduces their production costs.

However, all the reports points to a massive manufacturing effort by SONY for the PS5 launch, so they can get as many sold under this pandemic as possible.

That doesn’t leave a lot of room for a new PS4 SKU.
They did it every other next gen launch. A tradition that started with PSOne. I am not sure what pandemic has to do with it, the strategy is the same like always. A Superslim will be made because it worked for them in the past. No point changing it now.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
They did it every other next gen launch. A tradition that started with PSOne. I am not sure what pandemic has to do with it, the strategy is the same like always. A Superslim will be made because it worked for them in the past. No point changing it now.

Let me reiterate:

1. There’s limited production at the moment
2. PS4 is selling incredibly well
3. Creating a new production line in the middle of the pandemic, with limited capacity to do so, is no feasible.
4. SONY is currently struggling to produce a record amount of PS5s for launch

If Sony dropped the price to $99, I'd buy one. I sold my PS4 Pro earlier this year, but at $99, I'd buy back in.

It's not going to happen.

LordOfChaos

PS3 went through more revisions. I wonder if a tail end PS4 Super Slim is in the cards, perhaps digital only to get the cost really low, emerging markets often gobble up past gen PS systems after the generations prime for cost reasons.

Top Bottom