• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Sony PlayStation 3

R6Rider

Gold Member
I still have mine hooked up, but don't use it very often. Same with my 360 which I got much later.

PS3 was definitely a mixed bag, but ultimately I was satisfied with it by the end. The blu-ray player carried a lot of the value, like it did on PS2. The system UI looked nice, but was slow and cumbersome and had issues at times. The main thing that always made it fun to own was the weird games they took a chance on like Echochrome, Tokyo Jungle, Folklore, Puppeteer and more. And their transformation of PS+ was huge in the 2nd half of the PS3 gen. MS had just raised the price of Live, and I think right after that, Sony countered with the start of free monthly games on PS+, which was the first time that was a thing.

They fought the console war with weird games and value (not counting the horrendous pricing at the start, which made me skip it for years).
I remember when Blu-ray and HD DVD media platforms went up against one another and I'm pretty sure Blu-ray won because of the PS3.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Honestly one of my favorite consoles, despite now being on my third PS3. Initially got a 60 gb launch model, and frankly just adored all the time I spent with it.

-MGS Collector's edition
-MGS4
-Ground Zeroes
- Resident Evil 5
- Resident Evil 6
- Resident Evil: Revelations
- Uncharted 1-3
- The Last of Us
- Dead Space 1-3
- the Kingdom Hearts collections
- Silent Hill Homecoming and Downpour
- Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy
- Red Dead Redemption

Just a fun ass time.

SkylineRKR

The PS3 is a must have in my opinion. And will only becoming more so over the years. Many of its games have been lost to time or relegated to streaming. I am very glad I bought one last summer for only like 60 bucks. I have a PSN account since 2007 so this means I had access to games such as Afterburner, Outrun 2, GTI club+, Tekken 5 DR, House of the Dead 4 etc. And I still had a copy of Ridge Racer 7. There is no other way, besides emulation, to play these games afaik.

I went on a buying spree soon after, and bought Resistance 2 and 3, DIRT 1, Virtua Tennis 3, Ridge Racer Unbounded, Infamous 2, Black Ops 2, NBA Street Homecourt, Sega Rally Revo and Motorstorm 2.

I must say many of those games hold up remarkably well. And many of those type of games don't get made anymore. Try to find something like Virtua Tennis 3 on PS5 for example. Its absolutely fucking glorious. I played its World tour mode a fuckton. The stupid minigames, and improving your stats.. I love it. Same goes for Homecourt, which I beat. It looks amazing (its a native 1080p game, but framerate is unlocked in this mode), and its fun doing tricks and breaking your opponents. I have nothing like this on PS5 as well. RR7 is self explanatory, Namco left this franchise for dead and RR7 is a looker still. Banger OST on top.

And Sega Rally Revo, absolutely great. Its an arcade circuit racer that has nothing to do with Rally but its graphics and mud effects are quite insane still. I like the simplicity of this game. Its just about choosing a car and rinse some tracks. No voice overs, no dozens of setups. Just race.

On top of that there is a wealth of gems on the JP store, PSone classics you can buy for like 600 yen. Einhander anyone?

I do hate some things about it, mainly its slow download speeds, its slow unpacking process etc. But once everything is installed its fine. Its a great console with a ton of diverse games.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I prolly spent more time updating the console and its software than playing some of its games.
I turned it on after a long while after 2020 and the damn thing still had some updates to download.
A friend recently lent me Little Big Planet. It was a good half hour before I could play the game.

I really hate the unkillable turn-on beep of this thing, and I never cared for its flimsy controller. I never got a second DS3 because they were never on sale until they were discontinued.

Still, I had a good time with it. I still have to finish (or even start) some PS3 games. And it was the last PlayStation that had something of real interest for me. I didn’t get a PS4, and I don’t think I’ll get a PS5 either.

SkylineRKR

For me, the original fat day one PS3 was the most impressive piece of gaming kit I'd ever seen up to that point.

I mean aesthetically, it looked so imposing and, dare I say, beautiful - like the great monolith from 2001.
I loved how luxurious and futuristic it felt, like it really was something special.

No piece of gaming hardware before had ever felt so sophisticated to me, or been so interesting to interact with.

The U.I was great, the controller felt like a clear step up from the PS2 and Xbox pad, and booting up the bundled games (PES and CoD 3) that first time, all in pin sharp HD, felt like a watershed moment.

Cynicism, age, all factored in to my feelings towards the more recent Sony offerings.
I wasn't particularly impressed with the PS4s styling - feeling it was rather bland looking.
Though, I did feel the original ps5 has a similar kind of eye catching chunkiness...but only my new top tier gaming pc has given me a wow factor comparable to the PS3.

This is true. I remember buying my first PS3 because my 360 was shitting itself again. I defected back to Sony. And when I unpacked the PS3, I was extremely impressed. It looked like twice the value of the 360, which I had hooked up with a separate wifi dongle and had no HDMI and only 20gb HDD etc.

The PS3 had all this included, with the back then cutting edge Blu Ray playback too. And I knew online play was going to be free. It felt like the right choice and the sixaxis, while trash with its shoulder buttons and no rumble, was a nostalgia rush to me since it was essentially a wireless PS2 controller. I felt I made the right choice, PS1 and PS2 were my systems of choice back then.

Basically I got a 160gb SATA, swapped the HDD out and I knew I was set for the rest of that gen. My legacy arcade stick and saturn pad also worked just fine with its USB. PS3 was in many ways very effective.

StereoVsn

Yeah, one of my favorite consoles. I got in on the Slim and it still works like a champ. Well, I put in 1TB SSD in there for faster access speeds.

I got a second backup Slim just in case and it came with some backup controllers. So yeah, love it and it’s still hooked up.

One downside is that it used to be decently snappy in its store UI but Sony butchered it and it’s annoying as hell.

Bry0

I prolly spent more time updating the console and its software than playing some of its games.
I turned it on after a long while after 2020 and the damn thing still had some updates to download.
A friend recently lent me Little Big Planet. It was a good half hour before I could play the game.

I really hate the unkillable turn-on beep of this thing, and I never cared for its flimsy controller. I never got a second DS3 because they were never on sale until they were discontinued.

Still, I had a good time with it. I still have to finish (or even start) some PS3 games. And it was the last PlayStation that had something of real interest for me. I didn’t get a PS4, and I don’t think I’ll get a PS5 either.
Gran turismo 6 updates literally took me all day, and you have to back out and load the game in between updates otherwise a bug breaks the game install and you have to start over. It’s insane lol

Top Bottom