• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines |OT| Cursed for Life

Hikami

ga6mL.png

199f1a73f9.png

Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines
Game, Avatars, and DLC available here (US store), EU
  • Genre: Japanese Role Playing Game (JRPG)
  • Players: 1
  • Developer: Japan Studio / Alfa System
  • Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
  • Platforms: Playstation Vita, Playstation TV
  • Price: $19.99 / €19.99 / £15.99
  • Download Size: ~2.8GB
  • Availability: Digital download only in US/EU, Asian English Version getting a Retail release.
  • Release date: [US]March 3rd, 2015 -- [EU]March 4th, 2015, [Asia] March 30th, 2015
  • Text Languages : English, French, German
  • Audio Language: Japanese
2e8129abb2.png

Reviews
GamingTrend - 90 / 100
Destructoid - 8.5 / 10
GameSpot - 8.0 / 10
Vandal (Spanish) - 8.0 / 10
Digitally Downlaoded - 4.0 / 5.0
Cheat Code Central - 3.8 / 5.0
Playstation LifeStyle - 4.5 / 10

dc759690c5.png

Overview
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines is a Japanese role-playing game. Set in ancient Japan, the game art is inspired by traditional brush paintings of the Heian era. You'll be exploring a beautiful, watercolor world filled with creatures based on Japanese mythology.
In Oreshika, you'll take control of a clan whose bloodlines have been struck with two terrible curses -- a Curse of Ephemerality, and a Curse of Broken Lineage.

The Curse of Ephemerality means that your clan members age rapidly with a maximum lifespan of around 2 years. As you explore labyrinths, defeat demons, and find treasures, the in-game clock is always ticking. No matter how skilled you are in battle or how strong your equipment is, your characters will face death and it's your job to make sure your clan's family tree grows new members to step up to the ranks.
The Curse of Broken Lineage means that your clan can no longer procreate. Luckily, you can turn to the gods for help. By performing the Rite of Divine Union with a god, a new clan member will be created. It's important to choose which gods you perform the Rite with as the genetic makeup will be a combination of the 'parent' clan member and the chosen god which affects stats as well as appearance. With well over 100 gods to meet in the game, there are a lot of deities to discover!

Gameplay and Features
The goal of the game is to guide your clan over multiple generations on an epic quest to lift a curse against your bloodline, battling cruel enemies and spectacular bosses.

- Planning
Oreshika advances one month at a time. You have to plan what you're going to do in that month. You can ask Kochin for help and she will come up with a plan for you, or you can ask her to make a plan with you and she will give you some options. Of course, you can just not ask for her help at all and do whatever you want. Planning can be anything from dungeon raids, training a unit, performing the Rite of Union, and so on. There are many different ways to spend a month doing things. Every year though, one specific month will have a feast. The game will tell you when that happens. The feast will happen at a random dungeon and you must go there to advance the story. Though it's not that easy, you have to find the shrine in the dungeon to take you to the feast. After that month, the shrine will disappear and you will have to wait another year to attempt it again. Which is why it's wise to try and go earlier before the feast and find the shrine ahead of time (it will be closed, but it will still be there). Don't worry if you miss it though, the game isn't over or anything. You just have to try again the next time it shows up.

- Dungeon Crawling
Oreshika’s general gameplay is going through dungeons, fighting enemies, and trying to reach the boss. (Though it’s not just Dungeon Crawling, there are Festivals, events, and story sequences throughout the game) The camera perspective is a fixed, third person view. Enemies are on-screen and you have to run into them to initiate a battle. Dungeon layouts are random for each player. Your specific dungeon may look different from another person’s. Once you have that layout though, it won’t change until you do another playthrough. Time is always passing in these dungeons. After a month passes by, you can decide to continue going through the dungeon for the next month or go back home. If you decide to continue on though, your party member’s may be too tired or injured to go on and may die earlier than they’re supposed to.
Here's a gif example of exploration in the game. You may notice the characters going at different speeds. You start off slow in the game, but later on you get to walk/run faster. This allows you to get more things done and reach the end of dungeons faster before the month is even over.
You have 3 bars assigned to Stamina (red), Technique (blue), and Vigor (green).
Stamina is just your HP, goes down when hit. It can also go down if you press O when in dungeons though. Pressing O will make your character run but, also drain their stamina. Technique is used for skills, it functions like MP in other RPGs. The green bar is the most important though. Vigor is your fatigue. It only goes down when your Stamina is below a certain percent. If your Vigor goes down low enough, your character may get sick or tired and die earlier than intended. To avoid this, just keep your characters healed.

-Battle system
The battles in Oreshika are turn-based. There are 8 unique classes and each have their own special qualities-- meaning no class is useless, they all are viable. When you run into an enemy, a battle is initiated. At the beginning of the battle, a roulette shows the items you will (or can) get from the battle. There is usually an enemy leader; it will be located towards the very front. If you defeat the leader, the battle will end early and you will receive the loot. However, you may not receive that much experience. To maximize experience, you’d want to defeat the other enemies first and the leader last.
Skills are acquired through scrolls that enemies drop. These can be learned at home automatically.
The layout of battles is as follows; there are 4 lines of units. 2 on your side, 2 on the other. You can take a maximum of 4 party members at once. They can be put in the rear guard or front line of your formation. The enemy will be similar, though they can have more than 4 units.
The character you assign as captain, you will have full control of. The other 3 will have a different system. They will suggest attacks or actions to use, if you pick these, their loyalty will go up. Though you can choose to ignore their suggestions and take control of them, but their loyalty will decrease. If their loyalty is too low, they may run away from the clan.
Each trade has their own specific normal attack, some hit a whole row of enemies, some only one. Skills are the same for everyone though. Certain skills can be Joint-casted. Your party members can join in and all cast the same skill, allowing for a powerful version of the skill to be used by everyone.
--Secret Arts
Secret arts are super-powerful skills your clan members will learn when their heart, mind, and body stats hit certain levels. Each trade has nine different secret arts, and each clan member can learn a maximum of four. Using them is costly though and will sap your Vigor. You can also do joint secret arts the same way you can with skills. Secret arts can also be inherited by children. Your characters do have a stat cap, but that cap is extended further down the family line,-- allowing your children to learn more powerful secret arts.
---Stats
Heart, Mind, and Body
The heart quality tells you what kind of personality someone has, the mind quality tells you how adept they are with skills, and the body quality gives you an idea of their basic physical attributes. These qualities are governed by the four elements, which each one is made up of.

-Reproducing
Note--Character Creation
You may be wondering what the purpose of this is, since your character is just going to end up dying. Since the character you create is at the top of your family tree, every other member will loosely resemble them.
You can even choose to use the Vita’s camera to take a picture of yourself and create a clan leader modeled after your own appearance who spawns generations of warriors throughout your quest.
To keep your family line going, you’ll need to reproduce. Since the Curse of Ephemerality means your clan members will die in 2 years maximum, you’ll need to replace them every now and then. But wait, there’s also the Curse of Broken Lineage.. meaning your clan can’t actually procreate. What happens now? You ask the Gods for help. By performing the Rite of Divine Union, you can have offspring to grow your family. The offspring will inherit the appearance of the parents (Specific character and the specific God/Goddess)
Note--The Rite of Divine Union
No, it isn’t some.. raunchy ritual like classmating in Conception 2 if you’re worried about that..
Here’s a .gif of how it works if you’re interested.
You may not feel any emotion or attachment to your current character but when you think back (you dont even have to think actually! You can check your family tree, and check every single clan member and it will show their accomplishments) to their parent, and their parents, and so on.. it’s a really special feeling that's unique to this game. The game is made of memories spent with those characters. You may get attached to a super-strong child and they’ll go accomplish great things like defeating a boss. Overtime though, they will grow weaker and die.. and you can’t do anything about it.
Does this mean there’s no character development? Not exactly, there are recurring characters throughout the game that you will run in to—but that would be going into spoiler territory.

Your children inherit stats from their parents and will of course, be stronger. They also can take the appearance of the parents. Some may even have rare qualities like horns or cat ears!
*I believe you may even mate with other clans but, it will not show up in your family tree.

-Online Features
Even though it’s a single player game, there are some online features you can experience if desired. "You can interact with your friends' in-game lands to buy exotic items and encounter rare gods to aid you in your adventure."
**These seem to broken at the moment.
***Now working how long will it last?

6ea519e65f.png

b7bace62b7.png

*These are called "Trades" in the game.
9ce4bdb807.png

A front-line fighter who can strike a single enemy at a time, and is able to equip heavy armor. Boasts a good balance between attack and defense.
6da3bb8c6b.png

Easy to use, and capable of equipping heavy armor. Can hit both opposing rows when in front, and still strike the enemy front line from the rear.
3055fd93c1.png

Can attack an entire row of enemies from anywhere but with the lowest attack power of any trade. Can use powerful skills, but only light armor.
d374150317.png

Can find the target every time, whether on the front line or in the rear. Next-best attack power after fencer. Can equip light and medium armor.
6803a9644d.png

Easy to use, and capable of equipping heavy armor. Can hit the entire enemy front line at once when in front, and can also strike from the rear.
27b5a6d1a7.png

Powerful attacks, but a high miss rate and the weakest skills of any trade. Deals crushing blows when in the front line, and can equip heavy armor.
942f9679c9.png

Can deal three blows at once when in front, and can also kick the rearguard hard. Only able to equip medium armor, but great at dodging.
dea11fbf5f.png

Can fire high-impact single-target bullets or shells that inflict damage over a wide area. Only able to equip light armor, which can be a problem.

f7ddd296a8.png

Videos
<<Launch Trailer | Opening video | Anime Trailer | Job Trailer | Gameplay Trailer>>

Screenshots
999aa80e44.png

Q: What does "Oreshika" even mean?
A: Oreshika is the abbreviated form of the original title; Ore no Shikabane wo Koete Yuke. Meaning something along the lines of “(Go Forth) Over My Dead Body” The title of this game is someone telling their offspring to walk over their corpse and continue in their footsteps.

Q: Will there be a demo for this game?
A: Japan actually got a demo for the game one week before it released. We didn’t..
Also, seeing as how Freedom Wars also had a demo, and we never got that either.. the chances of us getting the Oreshika demo are pretty low. But, who knows?

Seems like we're getting it after all, March 31st.
db4cc3f6e6.png

For a period of two weeks from launch, you’ll receive the gods Kiri no Mash&#363; and Tonkararin as a special bonus when you purchase the game! So make sure you don’t miss out on this chance to bag these two rare gods that can’t otherwise be unlocked through gameplay.
Now cost $0.99 each
Optional* DLC available here.
Items, power-ups, cosmetic changes. and such.

---
Credits
Thanks to SCEJ for the resources used to make up the graphics in this OT.
Thanks to the dafont website and the font creators of said site for having a nice selection of fonts to use.
Thanks to Playstation Blog and Gematsu for information on the game.
*I have no official affiliation to any of the above.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
For a period of two weeks from launch, you’ll receive the gods Kiri no Mash&#363; and Tonkararin as a special bonus when you purchase the game! So make sure you don’t miss out on this chance to bag these two rare gods that can’t otherwise be unlocked through gameplay.

I wonder if these will be offered later for paid DLC. Did Japan have them as DLC?

Shizuka

One suggestion would be to host all images on the same server. The ones hosted at Playstation aren't loading for me.

The battle system, lineage, and art style are all very appealing to me. I'm really interested in this game, which I was not at first. The commander/loot/experience setup of battles sounds clever and awesome.

Also $20 is super tempting.

Huh, didn't know that this series was developed by Alfa System. It's been a long time since Castle of Shikigami and I had no idea what they were working on all this time.

Aeana

I'm surprised this is finally coming out. It crept up on me. The original Oreshika on PSX was kind of cool, although incredibly rough around the edges. I never got around to playing the PSP remake or second one, so I'll pick this up and see. Very curious.

Arzehn

Excellent OP. Already learned more from this thread then any other resource. Shame Sony isn't marketing this game at all, most people outside of GAF don't know it's coming out tomorrow.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yes Japan had the same promotion, they were sold for 324 yen each after the 2 weeks.

Ok good to hear. Wasn't sure if it would be one of those rare one-time only deals or not, since I'm still deciding if I'm going to get it right away.

Great work on the OT, can't wait to start reading people's impressions tomorrow (as we Europeans have to wait an extra day until we're able to play it)

Ventara

Great OT! Shame how Sony is just sending this out to die. I'll be picking up the English Asian copy, but I'm debating whether I should get this now digitally. The price is great, but I've got my plate full, so maybe I should wait. I don't know. I actually don't know too much about the game, so maybe I'll read some reviews and decide from there.

Great job with the OT, definitely gonna sub. You did a great job explaining the game, now I get the jist of it. It's gonna be hard for me to let go of dying characters, I can already tell you that much :p

Mr-Joker

Banned
Kinda wish the game got a retail release instead of it being just digital only, I will probably get it when the price drops.

Great OT! Shame how Sony is just sending this out to die. I'll be picking up the English Asian copy, but I'm debating whether I should get this now digitally. The price is great, but I've got my plate full, so maybe I should wait. I don't know. I actually don't know too much about the game, so maybe I'll read some reviews and decide from there.

Is that a retail copy?

Eusis

Shame about the timing for me, too much other stuff this month I want nevermind the surprises that crept up. Had March been slower (for me anyway) I'd probably be more inclined to grab.

I'd also like either a 64 GB card or a physical copy, disappointing that the platform going the most digital beyond PC/mobile ALSO has the most expensive memory.

alexein

Nice OT
Wanted to try it , i'll buy this day one since its 20€ but i have a huge backlog and not even the free space on my vita 16g.

jzbluz

Nice! Can't wait to try and give the characters cat ears.

Wasn't there something important about the difficulty options? Can't remember... Oh well, you did great with the information we were given.

Top Bottom