• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original PSP content on the PS2?

Speevy

Banned
I was just curious about this since I just purchased the system. What are the chances that (for example) a PSP role-playing game would get a PS2 version? PS3? Or would it head to the PS3? Like Nintendo is making Wario Ware and Zelda Four Swords for the Gamecube. If an original game becomes successful on the PSP, would a PS2 version be likely?

Speevy

Banned
Unison said:
Haha, good one. There's very little original PSP content to begin with....

Well, even so, I'd hate to be deprived of a great game because I'm not into handhelds.

Speevy said:
I see little value in such things, so the phrase "Here's 300 bucks." would be necessary.
Which is basically what they said to Japanese purchasers of the standard pack.

ZING

PSP games are not equivalent to PS2 games. That's the answer. Making a PS2 version of a PSP title wouldn't merely involve porting the code, as it would look like fuckshit on a television. If they were to make a PS2 version of a game, it would be a brand-new title.

It's happened before; Kirby made the leap from the portable realm and I'm sure some other titles have. SaGa did. But rarely have they actually done an exact translation of a portable game for the home.

Lunar Walking School went from Game Gear to Saturn, right? But again, that was a much-upgraded version.

BirdySky

The Psp is the new PC. Refuge of the console port.
Pc gamers got sitffed by a dozen watered down xbox 'experiances'.

Now, psp users must suffer a similar fate..only watered down probably does not apply...at least not in the sense it could have been avoided.

That's why I hate the fact next gen consoles have similar apis.. We're talking portarama...portola. Portma. Porting the donkey...

This is something I've wondered, too. I made a topic a few months back wondering out loud about whether PSP->PS2 ports could fill out the declining years of the current generation. Considering the sort of shovelware that has arrived in the later years of PS1, and even ports of decent portable games like Final Fantasy 1+2, I doubt the fact that PSP ports would "look like fuckshit" would stop a company looking for an easy buck.

Kobun Heat said:
It's happened before; Kirby made the leap from the portable realm and I'm sure some other titles have. SaGa did. But rarely have they actually done an exact translation of a portable game for the home.

Lunar Walking School went from Game Gear to Saturn, right? But again, that was a much-upgraded version.
However, if instead of Game Gear Sega's had an even more expensive unit that was at least comparable to Saturn, would they have bothered? Game Gear to Saturn is a much larger jump than PSP to PS2.

Top Bottom