• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guys help me out. The best game of each console and their respectively "best version".

Gp1

Guys help me out.

I'm trying to build an "emulation" drive to go with an EmulationStation build with only the best games and their respective best version from each console/generation. Or at least the best version that i can get my hands on for PC. Emulation included.
The idea is to go from the NES/Master System era all the way to Switch (PS3/X360/WIIU included), Arcade, portable, and even some PC games (later on).

So:

Eg. The SNES:
Chrono Trigger - Steam... or DS version?
FF6 - Another tough call, maybe the original.
Tactics Ogre - The Pc's remake is close enough to the original, so I'm going with remasters.
Front Mission - Same as TO.
Mario - All Star version for the sake of simplicity
etc.

eg. The top 25 Psone games
Castlevania Symphony of the night - (tough call, psone or psp collection)
MGS - Probably GOG PC? or maybe get the HD Collection and cross the entire series on every console.
OG FF7 - PC version
FF Tactics - Patched PSP version?
etc.

Saturn:
Together with the NeoGeo, another console that leans heavily on arcade ports. So a top 25 will be populated a lot of underrated gems like Astal, Dragon Force, Panzers etc. Point some of these here.

for N64:
Mario 64 - This one i'm going with PC's open port
Both Zeldas - Ships of Harkinian
Perfect Dark - I heard that PD is getting an open port so...
Goldeneye - 360 version???????
Killer Instinct 1/2 - Arcade or Xbox port.
Rogue Squadron - PC port
etc.

Top 50, 80's/90's/2000's arcade games:
eg.
Tekken 2-3 - PSone version
CPS 1, 2 and 3 - Arcade versions, except D&D collection (Steam) and Zero 3 that i'm going with one of the console versions. I was thinking about the 30th aniversary for Street Fighter, Capcom fight collection etc. but... i don't know yet.
Konami TNMT - Arcade or the Konami recent collection
MODEL 1, 2, 3 - Arcade, except maybe Daytona (PS3 version), Virtua Racing (Switch) and so on.
etc.

Dreamcast:
Shenmue 1/2 - Steam Version
VF3 TB - Model 3
Soul Calibur - A real exclusive here.
Crazy taxi - Another curve ball. Modded Steam or Og Dreamcast?
Skies of arcadia - PC HD
Grandia - PC HD
etc.

PS2:
ICO/SoTC - PS3 remaster
MGS 2/3 - PC Port / HD collection from PS3/X360
FFX and XII - PC
etc.

Gamecube:
A lot of Gamecube games received remasters on Switch so, a i'll probably go with Switch versions here.
But again, please point me out the gems. My last Nintendo console was the Snes.

PS3 / Xbox 360 / WiiU gen, top 10 each (for the sake of HDD space):
A bunch of games here received PC ports so it's an easy call in these cases. Here, i'll try go only for real exclusives/underrated games.
Last of US - PC remake
MGS 4 -True exclusive... yet.
GOW3 - Exclusive
VF5 - Best version i believe
Shadow complex - PC
All the Halos - Master Chief Collection

And then top 15 Switch.

But again, just one "best" version per game. So i expect some real underrated gems from each console to pop up on a top 15/25 from each console.

Could you guys suggest some games with their the best version available?

edit: Could some moderator edit the topic's title for me? English isn't my first language, and I was in a hurry when I posted :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom