• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orlando Bloom 'to play young Bond'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suerte

digitalspy.co.uk

Orlando Bloom is being lined up for the role of James Bond in a movie chronicling his early years, according to various reports today.

Rumours were abound earlier this year that producers were trying to sign up the heartthrob as a replacement for Pierce Brosnan in order to appeal to younger audiences.

Now it seems that a new project is being developed that would see Bloom play Bond at college age, following the super-spy's adventures after he is kicked out of Eton.

Brosnan, meanwhile, is committed to at least one more outing as the more mature Bond.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
If Orlando Bloom is involved in the franchise, I will boycott. The kid sucks, hard.

Guzim

6302380510.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I'm not even the slightest James Bond fan and I couldn't care less about what happens to the series but damn this is fucked up.

Didn't they already do this with Spy Kids and Cody Banks? LOL.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I guess it couldnt be much worse than the current format, im not convinced Orlando can pull off the Bond charm though, i suppose this movie might pre-date that.

darscot

Sounds good to me. They can't be any worse then the Brosnan films. Bloom is a capable actor, why does the fact that he is handsom detract from his ability.

darscot said:
Sounds good to me. They can't be any worse then the Brosnan films. Bloom is a capable actor, why does the fact that he is handsom detract from his ability.

What ability? I've seen him in three different roles and gee golly, they all seemed like the same character to me. Except one had pointy ears.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
darscot said:
The guy's acting is flat and monotone. He sucks.

Prospero

This is different from the usual Bond rumor that involves spinning off the Bond girl of the moment into her own franchise (see rumors about Michelle Yeoh after Tomorrow Never Dies, and Halle Berry after Die Another Day).

Hard to see Bloom as a super-suave macho-man, though.

darscot

The guys is just coming up. How many films has he done? Bascially three if you count LOTR as one. He was good in Pirates. Everyone was good in Troy it's just the fact that the directing and the script completely blew. The guy could be up there with Pitt. He has been playing it safe, now will see if he can bust out.

The only problem is he seems overly managed he is being taylored for big budget big paycheck films. He needs to appear in a Taratino or other such style to really show his skills.

The more I think of it the more I fear this new Bond spin could end up horrible. A young edgier Bond more to the roots would be great. But this could be more of your popcorn, teeny bop, American, product placement Brosnan crap, but even worse.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Guzim said:

"James Bond Jr chases SCUM...AROUND THE WORLD!"

God, I loved that cartoon when I was a kid. I'd be frightened to watch it again now, for fear of how awful it actually might have been..

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Newbie said:
James Bond Jr: The Movie?

JAMES BOND JUNIOR CHASES SCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM AROUND THA WORLD

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've seen Bloom in the LOTR trilogy, Ned Kelly, Troy, Pirates of the Carribean, Black Hawk Down and even his tiny walk-on part in Wilde. Shit, I've seen nearly everything he's done, and he was a weak actor in all of them. He's dull and has never brought anything interesting to his parts. Demon said it well with "flat and monotone."

Trevelyon said:
So.. what happened to Halle Berry's Jinx project?
Completely scrapped a long time ago.

it cant be any worse than the already Cliche ridden, cheesy, badly written and down right stupid bond movies of the past. By that i mean ALL the bond movies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
darscot said:
The guys is just coming up. How many films has he done? Bascially three if you count LOTR as one. He was good in Pirates. Everyone was good in Troy it's just the fact that the directing and the script completely blew. The guy could be up there with Pitt. He has been playing it safe, now will see if he can bust out.

The only problem is he seems overly managed he is being taylored for big budget big paycheck films. He needs to appear in a Taratino or other such style to really show his skills.

The more I think of it the more I fear this new Bond spin could end up horrible. A young edgier Bond more to the roots would be great. But this could be more of your popcorn, teeny bop, American, product placement Brosnan crap, but even worse.
I've seen 8 year olds who've been in fewer roles than Orlando and have more versatile, convincingly emotive acting skills. The guy simply cannot act well.

calder

After the last 2 Bond movies especially, this news doesn't freak me out all that much. It's like rumours of a new Star Trek series that sounds pretty iffy - I'd be alarmed and upset but then I remember it's not like they'll be ruining a great run or anything. :\

darscot

You guys have valid points I dont think anything he has done has been fantastic. The jury is just still out on him in my mind. He seems to be a pretty interesting guy in real life, if he could just bring some of that to the screen his acting would be pretty kick ass.

the next james bonds better not suck. Pierce get that Irish temper out and kick some ass so they give u a decent script. They've been all pretty awful since Goldeneye. Although it is one of the best bond films ever

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
He wasn't exactly great as King Arthur though, i say once you've fucked up one English legend you shouldn't get a chance to fuck up another one.

firex

No, no, no, Bloom is going to be the first gay guy to hit on a younger James Bond as they re-envision the series.

SKluck

Banned
Ghost said:
He wasn't exactly great as King Arthur though, i say once you've fucked up one English legend you shouldn't get a chance to fuck up another one.

He was out of his element. Haven't you seen the BMW shorts? He is good in those, granted he usually never talks, but he was good.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
He was pretty good in The Bourne Identity as well, although I don't think he was in the movie that long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom