• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders potentially on GamePass

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
EwT1-UsUUAA13lI

MS buying Square Enix confirmed?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Hoping it's on Game Pass day one. Would be great for me as I save $50 and still get to play it day one. It's Square Enix who love accepting paydays and my guess is that the pre-order numbers despite being on six or so different platforms isn't that good so they figure why not take the payday? Awesome for me though if this happens. Outriders is set to be on their 40 minute showcase this coming Thursday so if it's true, I would imagine it gets announced and confirmed at that time.

M1chl

I don't really care for it, to be honest, better to invest to something different than Destiny type shooter. But I understand the audience.

M1chl

Uh, I don't know about the "buying Square Enix part" xD (the internet would probably completely collapse if that happened), but I think it's a high possibility Outriders is in GamePass Day 1. MP-focused games like that will probably benefit massively from a GamePass-like service model to be perfectly honest.
Well people were saying that it's not MP-focused, like not a Gaas.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
That would be great for me but I think that would make awful financial sense?

It's been in the top 10 on STEAM for awhile, thousands of people will cancel their preorders and they will never be able to sell it full price ever again on any platform.

The word of mouth was good enough with the demo I thought? They probably made the deal before.

Exanthus

Banned

It's been in the top 10 on STEAM for awhile, thousands of people will cancel their preorders and they will never be able to sell it full price ever again on any platform.

The word of mouth was good enough with the demo I thought? They probably made the deal before.

Doesn't matter to MS, they are all about growing gamepass and making moves like this make sense.
They would have made a sweet deal to make this happen for Square to say yes.

Kagey K

Banned
This is the best argument against bringing Bethesda games to other platforms I’ve seen.

I know it was unintentional and off topic, but it shows MS is making the right choice, since they will be on Gamepass Day 1 too.

I'm going to be quoting this a lot when ppl say MS is losing Sony money on MS games.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
How is this different than games launching on ps+?
Destruction All Stars was their own game and it's not AAA. Maquette is indie. It's not the same situation.

Outriders is a multiplatform AAA from Square Enix and it's been in development for years. The hype was good and it's selling well on Steam.
Doesn't matter to MS, they are all about growing gamepass and making moves like this make sense.
They would have made a sweet deal to make this happen for Square to say yes.
Of course MS don't care but what about Valve/Steam? I wouldn't want to piss them off if I was SquareEnix. It's still in the top 10 right now and the release is in 2 weeks.

I'll give it a chance if true. I'm very split on the demo, but the game has potential and the devs seem to be very actively working on the game.

DaGwaphics

That's a massive overreach. A game that's day one on GP is never going to sell full price to a GP user, not much else changes.

I doubt PS sales would be effected at all, nor non-GP Xbox and PC users (though these could potentially get dinged a bit if people buy a month of GP just to burn through this one). The whole GP killed software sales on Xbox is a fallacy. One that is particularly easy to disprove since MS has been earning record amounts in 3rd-party software sales over the last year.

Last edited:

graywolf323

given Outriders has been a best seller among coming soon games on PSN & Steam this seems like a real surprise, I wonder how much it would cost MS to get Square-Enix to put it on GamePass at launch since it seems to be on pace to sell millions

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Maybe it's just Xbox Gamepass and not PC?
That's a very interesting point.
That "e-mail" was posted on Xbox Game Pass, but I can't find anything similar on Xbox Game Pass for PC. I would say there is a good chance you're correct.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone who may think the tweet is for The Ascent or Stalker 2, both of these games have already been confirmed to be on Game Pass day one. If it's not Outriders, then that definitely hurt the game's sales number since people will believe that it's coming day one or shortly thereafter. I'm sticking with Outriders simply because I can't think of any other game that fits the description of that tweet.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I believe it. This entire time it's been up for preorder on PC you could find it between $35-$45 dollars.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the demo to be honest, it all felt very familiar across the board. Sometimes more like a AA rather than AAA experience, honestly.

But if it's on Game Pass, hell, I'll give it a shot!

zcaa0g

Banned
Good deal if true. It requires an Internet connection and one day, the popularity won't be there like the vast majority of online only games and the servers will go offline so the game won't become a virtual paper weight in my Steam library.

quickwhips

Destruction All Stars was their own game and it's not AAA. Maquette is indie. It's not the same situation.

Outriders is a multiplatform AAA from Square Enix and it's been in development for years. The hype was good and it's selling well on Steam.

Of course MS don't care but what about Valve/Steam? I wouldn't want to piss them off if I was SquareEnix. It's still in the top 10 right now and the release is in 2 weeks.
I'm not sure I understand your point still?

sainraja

Outriders is the only game left that fits the description that isn't already on Game Pass except maybe Valhalla, but that would be an even bigger get.
Destiny 2 is available on Game Pass......soo....and people keep saying Valhalla but it's not on Game Pass. I can't find it there. :|

Last edited:

sainraja

That's a massive overreach. A game that's day one on GP is never going to sell full price to a GP user, not much else changes.

I doubt PS sales would be effected at all, nor non-GP Xbox and PC users (though these could potentially get dinged a bit if people buy a month of GP just to burn through this one). The whole GP killed software sales on Xbox is a fallacy. One that is particularly easy to disprove since MS has been earning record amounts in 3rd-party software sales over the last year.
Well, yeah, because Game Pass maintains only 100 games on rotation so it shouldn't kill software sales. I am sure it has also helped in selling some games but it's hard for anyone to say how much a game would have sold that is on game pass if it wasn't an option.

CatLady

Destiny 2 is available on Game Pass......soo....and people keep saying Valhalla but it's not on Game Pass. I can't find it there. :|
Valhalla isn't on Game Pass, that's why I said it would be an even bigger get than Outriders.

It's highly unlikely Valhalla will come to GP unless the rumors about about UbiPlay or whatever it's called joining GamePass turn out to be true.

CatLady

Well, yeah, because Game Pass maintains only 100 games on rotation so it shouldn't kill software sales. I am sure it has also helped in selling some games but it's hard for anyone to say how much a game would have sold that is on game pass if it wasn't an option.
Game Pass has WAY more than 100 games. EA alone has 85 games I believe and I think the total including EA is a little under 400 games total.

Kagey K

Banned
It currently has 534 games on it. 376 on console, 252 on PC, and 226 on XCloud.

Think that’s a bit more than 100, but what do I know?

sainraja

Game Pass has WAY more than 100 games. EA alone has 85 games I believe and I think the total including EA is a little under 400 games total.
Including EA Access, sure the numbers does go up to that. Or are you saying minus EA games it is up to 400? I just counted them and they are at 373 games total.

EDIT: Ah, I guess if you factor in PC but I was thinking console only in terms of sales but my point stands though (100 or 400). I was saying the games on the service are on a rotation, right? I'm just saying it is going to be hard to gauge one way or the other how much those games would have sold. But in terms of playtime, I am sure GP helped a lot of games with reach.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds good for Xbox gamers if it happens. Buy it, or GP it.

We can actually thank PS gamers for this since they buy lots of games on PS fueling the revenue. While the studio cuts a deal with MS for subscription based revenues, which MS subsidizes and many of us paid $1 for GP.

Top Bottom