• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overused internet phrases that annoy you

jufonuk

not tag worthy
LOL ok I never even owned a Nintendo, nor have I ever seen this montage of horribly acted advertisements... I just remember a time when 50% of the responses to a new game announcement were the aforementioned phrase, which is clearly not something to be uttered aloud anymore these days on Neogaf :messenger_fearful:
Reggie left Nintendo. So the memes stopped. But I am sure on the Nintendo hype trains they live

bit seeing as you do not own a Nintendo or never have
Hot Fuzz Shame GIF

Patrick S.

Banned
I'm annoyed at myself when I put too many "like"s in a sentence

"What I'm saying is that this game is, like, hugely overrated" why when i type do i often sound like, like, a 14 year old girl?

Ps. Sus means suspect or suspicious, it's been used in Australia for decades.. i personally never use it but yeah
Yeah, that's annoying. Ever watch a Red Letter Media video, where both Mike and Jay say "like" five hundred times?

mitch1971

X person is a national treasure. Yet the person in question hasn't even made a decent body of work to be called that.

X film, song, is so underrated, yet it is loved by many.

That joke is so underrated yet every one in the fucking audience laughed.

The word genius. My god.
It is not genius just because someone sang a song in a different tempo than the original.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Yikes
I mean,
Sus
Bestie

Might as well get get a hot branding iron that says “pussy” and stick it right to your forehead if you use any of that shit irl

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Using stupid acronyms like 'ROTFL' 'SMH' 'IRL' 'LOL' 'AFAIK' 'FWIW' 'IDK'.....etc........
Abbreviations in general fucking sucks and they are super prevalent with native English speaking people. I would understand the need for abbreviations in something like German, when you have words like:

Unabhängigkeitserklärungen

(I specifically tailored this word for USA audience, you are willkommen)

But in English they sucks and especially with "trendy words" many times I need to google what the fuck they even mean and makes me feel fucking stupid. I know it's not your problem, but it's really frustrating.

no shit

but why do you think the sjw types bury it into the ground

do you really think it's because of a deep affinity for the rural american south
I honestly have no idea because it's not a black saying. If that's what they believe, then it's ignorant to say that.

"Who asked for this?"
Agreed. Can come across as childish quite often.

GEEEEETTTTTTT ITTTTTTTTTT
For the longest time, I had no clue what that meant. During the lowest points of GAF's dark age (around late 2019/early 2020) there were quite a few fun/weird/interesting/unsavory characters that formed a clique and would have hang out mostly in the Off Topic and Politics sections. (Can't remember, but seems like as many as half of them were Australian...) They would use "GET ITT" all the time, and that's how I learned what that was.

"I don't understand the hate"
What this really means is, "I understand the hate perfectly fine, I'm just butthurt that people are hating on my favorite thing " 😂

Keihart

I don't mind 'lol'. That's an og acronym that us old millenials adopted in the early days. The rest is pretty shit.
most of that list has been used since the IRC days, if anything, they have been replaced by emojis for the younger generations or stupid shit like "fr, fr " and whatnot.

poodaddy

It's almost like.........
Yikes
Problematic
People who speak only in gifs or memes.

Fuck literally all of the above idiots that blanket the internet.

Vagswarm

People who speak only in gifs or memes.
That's hilarious. There's a few friends I have on Facebook who do this. They'll have entire arguments using nothing but standard gifs, like Shannon Sharpe shaking his head no.

A lot of what's mentioned on this thread is on Youtube and Reddit, which I learned to avoid all comments from those. Pretty much stopped using Reddit altogether. I don't know if it's necessarily trying to sound cool (what does that mean on the internet, really) as much as them being completely lazy and not caring what they type as long as it's short and somewhat makes sense. You see this a lot with "u" and "rly". That's my opinion, anyway.

I'd go with cringe and simp. Hated simp from the beginning. And creepy is way over-used.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

Anything containing "Paper Hands/Diamond Hands/To the Moon." Cringe factor aside, they tend to be keywords/phrases associated with a lot of scams and the likes these days, and should be giant red flags whenever they come up in a topic involving money and/or investments.

dr_octagon

Banned
epic was reserved for the ocean, mountains, the vast expanse of space or adventures through desert, jungle or Arctic

now everything is epic

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
epic was reserved for the ocean, mountains, the vast expanse of space or adventures through desert, jungle or Arctic

now everything is epic

That's hilarious. There's a few friends I have on Facebook who do this. They'll have entire arguments using nothing but standard gifs, like Shannon Sharpe shaking his head no.

A lot of what's mentioned on this thread is on Youtube and Reddit, which I learned to avoid all comments from those. Pretty much stopped using Reddit altogether. I don't know if it's necessarily trying to sound cool (what does that mean on the internet, really) as much as them being completely lazy and not caring what they type as long as it's short and somewhat makes sense. You see this a lot with "u" and "rly". That's my opinion, anyway.

I'd go with cringe and simp. Hated simp from the beginning. And creepy is way over-used.

😁

Last edited:
Oh sure! Let go right ahead and make a thread about *checks notes* overused internet phrases that annoy you.
This is a flawless response. Well done, sir. You deserve the "legend" part of your username.

Oh sweet summer child
Where the hell does this come from? I see it all the time yet have never bothered to look up where it's from (I guess because its overuse by annoying people 😂).

/end thread
I admit, I have used this one a couple of times myself, so: guilty as charged! I can see how it's overused and annoying, though, and I have found other ways to express a similar sentiment by saying... regular things.

Epic, reddit being obsessed with bacon, using dumb insults liek TWATWAFFLE by combining words that aren't related, saying something popular BROKE THE INTERNET, y'all, folx, I could go on. People are so desperate to ride the next popular meme they overuse anything that gains the slightest bit of tractions, and then corporations get a hold of it to really drive it into the ground

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Squid game.
Fucking hell ok! I still watch it today!

Already seen plenty of spoilers on yt even on ads depicting a scene from the show as a game. You can't escape spoilers of the show you don't even want to see!

Ionian

Squid game.
Fucking hell ok! I still watch it today!

Already seen plenty of spoilers on yt even on ads depicting a scene from the show as a game. You can't escape spoilers of the show you don't even want to see!

Yes you can, thought it was a cartoon/Anime for ages, Maybe as a Spongebob spin-off.

Eventually saw it was some Netflix 'Battle-Royale', that's about it. Also that people hated the ending.

I just thought I dodged a bullet, I know nothing else about it other than it's talked about.

"Nobody/who asked for this" "that's so/how/super/(adjective here) cringe"

Various people have various tastes, good or bad. Most things will 'be asked for' by at least a small minority. So stating 'who asked for this' is just pointless.

Most people, the way they use 'cringe', tbh, make them sound like a redneck country buffoon with their shitty grammar. "how cringey" would be appropriate. "How cringe" makes you sound like you have sex with you parents.

Top Bottom