• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL games on a NTSC Xbox. Possible?

The Dreamcast was capable of this. I bought the Euro version of Shenmue 2 and played it on my unmodded NTSC Dreamcast system. I don't remember if there was a trick involved but I know it was possible.

Now there's a Euro game I'd like to play. I have a modded Xbox but can't find any info regarding Pal > NTSC imports. Most of the stuff discusses Japanese > NA but nothing about Pal and NTSC. Anyone know if it's possible? Is there some kind of boot disk I'll be needing?

Society said:
If your box is modded, then you shouldbe able to play them.

There won't be any display problems?

I know a mod eliminates any regional lockouts but I'm concerned about display problems.

8bit

Knows the Score
If you're modded you should be good to go. Unless your TV is PAL unfriendly, I can't image where you might have problems.

scarybore

Depends on the game I think. All my PAL games seem to work fine when I change my PAL xbox to NTSC using the enigma (?) disc, apart from Halo due to it essentially trying to do 60hz but only diplaying in 50 times a second cause big frame skips (which is exactly the same when you put it in PAL 60 on a non modded xbox, its a well known and annoying problem for PAL Halo lovers).

Burger

The Enigma Videomode swap utility essentially *changes* your NTSC xbox into a PAL one by swapping the EPROMS.

Doing this on a PAL Xbox unlocks all the HDTV/Progressive Scan options not found on a PAL dashboard.

(Doing this will strip you of those options, everything else, widescreen, 60hz, dolby digital remain).

The xbox dashboards should have the ability to switch between pal and ntsc depending on the xbe on the game disc.

Avalaunch has this feature.

Top Bottom