• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panama Papers: Iceland's Prime Minister Resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pgha8oR.gif

Strax

So in statement that the PM sent to foreign press he said he was not quiting, just leaving office for a temporary period

Meanwhile in the US, it's known ponzi schemers, known tax evaders, all of whom have been arrested, charged, and paid fines for, this in particular...then a bunch of legitimate businesses and retirees buying legitimate real estate. Where's the beef?

This is either worded poorly or it's early in the morning, because I can't parse what you're trying to say here.

Wasn't Iceland the only country to prosecute and jail bankers over the financial crisis? If so, this is essentially a reaction to that more than anything else.

Yes. A local said when I visited last year that almost 10% of their entire current prison population was related to the financial crisis (since other crime is so low).

Crazy that the line of succession in Iceland is the agriculture minister lol.

I'm sure it's not really a stated succession plan like the US but still a bit of a giggle.
In Australia our deputy prime minister is also the minister for agriculture and water resources. It must be a thing.

Strax

Crazy that the line of succession in Iceland is the agriculture minister lol.

I'm sure it's not really a stated succession plan like the US but still a bit of a giggle.

To be fair he is also the Minister of Fisheries and thats a huge thing in Iceland and since the Minister for Finance and Economic Affairs is also named in the Panama Papers it kind of makes some sense.

This is either worded poorly or it's early in the morning, because I can't parse what you're trying to say here.

For other countries, it's high rollers and politicians. In the US, it's
1. people who have already been charged for ponzi schemes, tax evasion
2. knowingly shady people who we already knew were doing shady stuff
and 3. legitimate users for business or real estate purposes.

Like, where's the high profile politicians and business people that we can get mad at? It's like t hey only evade taxes in legitimate ways :/

Joni

For other countries, it's high rollers and politicians. In the US, it's
1. people who have already been charged for ponzi schemes, tax evasion
2. knowingly shady people who we already knew were doing shady stuff
and 3. legitimate users for business or real estate purposes.

Like, where's the high profile politicians and business people that we can get mad at? It's like t hey only evade taxes in legitimate ways :/

Makes sense. Why release your own names if you just want to discredit Putin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom