• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patreon CEO explain why they closed down the Lauren Southern and IGD Patreons.

sant

There's a video of Lauren Southern getting piss dumped on her head while she was trolling feminists

We have racist assholes up here in Canada. Most of them seem preoccupied with the natives up here to bother much else:(

Southern is mostly in it for the money. If Breitbart and Rebel up and defend her. If some of these alt-right scumbags are getting subpoenaed there might be something interesting in who's paying them.

Madness

It is crazy seeing how popular she has become. From Surrey and Langley BC her racist pops convinced her to pretty much become a male Derek Vinyard. Moves to Toronto and starts doing outlandish stuff like trolling feminist rallies. Somehow she just merges with the conservative Canadian right in Toronto and works for some shitty Canadian breitbart media company called Rebel. Because she is young and blonde and white, the basement dwellers on 4chan and reddit follow her like Ann Coulter when she was young and others Tomi Lahren. All I hear about her now is doing random stuff like the Berkeley rallies and firing flares at refugee boats in the Mediterranean. She thinks as a Canadian, she knows what Americans and Italians and Europeans should do for their country. Surprised if she isn't banned or deported eventually for doing something stupid. I also think she had a few tweets before she became famous talking about her Danish grandparents fleeing Nazis as jews. So would be the ultimate troll for the white nationalists if their Christian darling was also jewish when she poses in those Deus Volt sweatshirts. I never knew about her until recently and only because Americans kept mentioning her. I honestly think these people draw you guys in hook line and sinker and use the outrage and notoriety to have a bigger soapbox to stand on. No one in her own Province knows or really cares about her. And her candidate for Canadian PM was defeated in the final round of the Conservative leadership a few months ago.

I've heard of Southern but what's IDG? Covering train tracks in cement?

Anarchists/Antifa who use sabotage/eco-terrorist techniques against things like fracking. They say they notify their targets before they hit them, but there's always a chance that can go wrong and people could still get hurt so I think Patreon's decision is fair.

Well there's this.

https://twitter.com/cernovich/status/891039781370511360

A turd like him getting subpoenaed is good news, Mueller(I guess) going after the alt-right propaganda network.

We have racist assholes up here in Canada. Most of them seem preoccupied with the natives up here to bother much else:(

Southern is mostly in it for the money. If Breitbart and Rebel up and defend her. If some of these alt-right scumbags are getting subpoenaed there might be something interesting in who's paying them.

Some days ago this popped up in my Facebook feed. http://thefifthcolumnnews.com/2017/...ists-in-the-us-were-co-opted-by-the-russians/
And it was quoting this:
"To recap, elements within Russia’s defense apparatus founded Rodina, which in turn founded the Russian Imperial Movement. The Russian Imperial Movement funds far-right militants all over the world and pressures them into signing documents that support the creation of a Russian sphere of influence in Europe and a weakening of the United States. Prominent Alt-Right and White Nationalists have ties to the Russian Imperial Movement, and at least one has signed such a document. These are verifiable facts."

Going off topic a bit, but I suppose it serves to understand what's going on here. I considered making a thread here about this article to try and get some discussion but decided against it because I don't know the site.

Wow, getting boats to stop S&R vessels, recording herself on the boat, then claiming she was never on the boat and not involved.

Lying sack of shit.

Her videos are a bunch of rambling bullshit.

There needs to be a bullshit registry where people who lie like these fuckers get put on. That way future employers can see the shit they've done. Make it public too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Isn't she Canadian? I've noticed quite a few Northerners pushing the alt-right agenda. I thought Canada was pretty liberal. Is it just a cash grab?
Not really. Canada has as much trash as America.

I mean right now cops are beating up aboriginal and black kids, to the point where a Senator has been put in charge of looking into Thunder Bay's institutional racism.

Ridisc

Banned
There needs to be a bullshit registry where people who lie like these fuckers get put on. That way future employers can see the shit they've done. Make it public too.

Not sure this is really the road to go down, feels sort of big brotherish, how do we account for mistakes? How do we account for misinterpretation? Cant help but feel it would fail by human error.

Not sure this is really the road to go down, feels sort of big brotherish, how do we account for mistakes? How do we account for misinterpretation? Cant help but feel it would fail by human error.

Just document things they did similar to how Patreon keeps footage of Lauren being a shitbag and when she comes running saying, "I didn't do anything wrong" they rub her nose in it.

Sure, a registry would never really work in reality but its fun to fantasize.

Ridisc

Banned
Just document things they did similar to how Patreon keeps footage of Lauren being a shitbag and when she comes running saying, "I didn't do anything wrong" they rub her nose in it.

Sure, a registry would never really work in reality but its fun to fantasize.

Im just not seeing how you get away from levels of bias, taking people out of context, assuming motive, half the things I read about people are assuming motive, someone can say the exact same sentence and it can be read multiple ways, its how left and right leaning news sites have been operating for years now, rarely is it so obvious that someone says something and acts out their exact intention.

What I gather from listening to him is he finds himself running into an issue whereby he has been falsely maligned by people who have taken his work out of context and thus feels it hard to label others to whom he has not done the due diligence. Hes had conversations over this before where he tries to sus out how to navigate the world where peoples reputations are ruined because someone in power disagrees with them, or a particular group deems them radical despite sufficient evidence.

Spare me the noble defense

His career is doing just fine despite how many times he's stepped in it

Dude had Charles Murray on and challenged him zero on the "Bell Curve"

Naw. Don't even do this "both sides are just as bad shit". Yeah, we got our problems but we aint as fucked up as the United States. Don't. Even. Try.

Closer to opposite.

We actually rejected our previous conservative government because they didn't let refugees in(to the point they were dying solely due to our government actions). It was un-Canadian and making us look bad world wide.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Naw. Don't even do this "both sides are just as bad shit". Yeah, we got our problems but we aint as fucked up as the United States. Don't. Even. Try.
It took like 6 months to charge the cop involved in this case:
http://globalnews.ca/news/3626890/toronto-police-officer-alleged-assault-dafonte-miller/

Yeah, it's not cops shooting people in the back, but it's not great either.

Oh, don't forget the UofT prof who is raising 50k a month on Patreon to help support his anti-trans speech.

Ridisc

Banned
Spare me the noble defense

Hus career is doing just fine despite how many times he's stepped in it

Dude had Charles Murray on and challenged him zero on the "Bell Curve"

Just provided you with information to the best of my knowledge from listening to him

Ive been listening to him for a while and never got the impression he traffics in bad faith, I listened to the Charles Murray podcast and didnt come away feeling bad for either party, seemed a civil and reasoned discussion, but then I havent read much about the controversy so I dont have a view on it other than it was an entertaining podcast. I feel as though his thoughts about being personally maligned have been vindicated in some circumstances wherein I have done some investigating, particularly in regards to the young turks, glen greenwald where it seemed clear they were deliberately misinterpreting him to create a narrative I felt was unfair.

Its obviously difficult to have all the information on every subject.

Just provided you with information to the best of my knowledge from listening to him

Ive been listening to him for a while and never got the impression he traffics in bad faith, I listened to the Charles Murray podcast and didnt come away feeling bad for either party, seemed a civil and reasoned discussion, but then I havent read much about the controversy so I dont have a view on it other than it was an entertaining podcast. I feel as though his thoughts about being personally maligned have been vindicated in some circumstances wherein I have done some investigating, particularly in regards to the young turks, glen greenwald where it seemed clear they were deliberately misinterpreting him to create a narrative I felt was unfair.

Its obviously difficult to have all the information on every subject.

I mean Greenwald and TYT are useless too.

For different reasons.

So whats with the ANTIFA comments? Whats that about?

I feel bad for the CEO. All this does is fuel trash like Southern and allows her to make more money off this.

It's just an all around bad idea to justify this when it will end in endless debate.

Some days ago this popped up in my Facebook feed. http://thefifthcolumnnews.com/2017/...ists-in-the-us-were-co-opted-by-the-russians/
And it was quoting this:

Going off topic a bit, but I suppose it serves to understand what's going on here. I considered making a thread here about this article to try and get some discussion but decided against it because I don't know the site.

There was an article a few months ago that FBI is investigating right wing news sites like Breitbart, Infowars etc.

A lot of right wing news sites simultaneously promote the same BS story whose origin can be traced to Russian propaganda, and they even get it trending at the right time too, usually to defend or distract from breaking anti-Trump news.

There's definitely a coordinated propaganda network at work.

now time to shut down facebooks, twitters, youtubes, etc of the entire alt right.

disgusting some of the pages and channels still up on youtube.

Madness

So whats with the ANTIFA comments? Whats that about?

I feel bad for the CEO. All this does is fuel trash like Southern and allows her to make more money off this.

It's just an all around bad idea to justify this when it will end in endless debate.

IGD stands for It's Going Down a violent Antifa anarchist group that claims to fight repression and capitalism and fascism by pouring cement on train tracks etc.

I honestly wish they could ban all these alt-right, anarchist-left folks from the internet somehow. Twitter and facebook and reddit have allowed them to all search each other out and congregate.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wow, getting boats to stop S&R vessels, recording herself on the boat, then claiming she was never on the boat and not involved.

Lying sack of shit.

Her videos are a bunch of rambling bullshit.

She didn't say she wasn't on the boat, she said she was there only as an observer. Which is a lie, obviously.

She didn't say she wasn't on the boat, she said she was there only as an observer. Which is a lie, obviously.

Assuming we're talking about the video he clipped: https://youtu.be/rtImwK5TI4g?t=92

She said she was going to be an observer, initially, but then decided a more experienced crew member should take her place.

But maybe she's talking about a different time she blocked NGO vessels.

Who knows. Either way, she's a fucking liar.

Good lord, she has 300k subscribers on her youtube channel with about 200k+ views or more per recent video????

I am seriously hoping there are equally young liberal folk out there making themselves popular via youtube.. I am doubting it though

llehuty

Kudos to Patreon directive foe having the balls of doing this. They are actively losing money for this.

Let me up my pledges up a notch to patreons not made by shitbags.

What I gather from listening to him is he finds himself running into an issue whereby he has been falsely maligned by people who have taken his work out of context and thus feels it hard to label others to whom he has not done the due diligence. Hes had conversations over this before where he tries to sus out how to navigate the world where peoples reputations are ruined because someone in power disagrees with them, or a particular group deems them radical despite sufficient evidence.

Which is weird because he doesn't apply this equally.

Harmen

Good, people participating in this kind of shit don't deserve any money or support in my book. Blocking refugees is just plain evil.

Isn't she Canadian? I've noticed quite a few Northerners pushing the alt-right agenda. I thought Canada was pretty liberal.

I don't get this line of thinking at all. Any community has it's rotten apples to varying degrees. Canada consists of 36 million people. Even if thousands of bigots from one country on the internet make noise, that is not necesarily an accurate representation at all.

I know Sam Harris and a few others have decided to leave Patreon over the principle of the matter, be interesting to see where this goes. Private company of course, can do what they like, just like Twitter, market will judge whether its a good decision or not im sure.

I'm amazed that Sam Harris is showing solidarity with violent bigots

Truly amazed

MUnited83

For you.
A Canadian piece of alt-right shit that has become famous for being a piece of shit in the US think she has any business "defending Europe" lol @the nerve of this piece of shit. Hopefully she gets her ass banned or arrested.

Didn't he say black people wanting to live would set this country back years?

Yep

"I’m very worried about this as well. I worry that Black Lives Matter, if it got all the attention that it wants, could set race relations back in this country a generation. Obviously I’m not aware of everything that is said under the banner of Black Lives Matter, and it could be that some highly rational and impeccable people are advocating in the stream of this movement. But I’ve seen it filtered through the left-wing media that is largely, if not entirely, sympathetic to the movement. And most of what I have heard—in particular about these videos and the cases about which we don’t have videos but which have been well described, like the Michael Brown shooting—has struck me as dangerously and offensively irrational."

But Sam Harris is totally an ally guys

OraleeWey

Good, people participating in this kind of shit don't deserve any money or support in my book. Blocking refugees is just plain evil.

I don't get this line of thinking at all. Any community has it's rotten apples to varying degrees. Canada consists of 36 million people. Even if thousands of bigots from one country on the internet make noise, that is not necesarily an accurate representation at all.

I saw that one video of hers and apparently they weren't refugees they were Somalis?

Top Bottom