• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Payday 3 players endure second consecutive day of server issues, preventing them from playing

Draugoth

Gold Member
Starbreeze insists it is "working hard" to keep servers online after Payday 3 players endured a second consecutive evening of disruption.

After a three-day early access period for some players, Payday 3 released on 21st September, but players have struggled to get online at peak times due to continuing server issues that have shutdown matchmaking, making it impossible to play the always-online heist shooter.

On launch day, Starbreeze took to its social media accounts to admit that it was "currently experiencing slow matchmaking" and was "investigating and working on a solution".

Five hours later, servers were still down, and despite issuing server-side fixes, "instability in the matchmaking" persisted across all platforms.

"We're seeing an increase of matchmaking issues, the team is investigating," the studio announced. "We're now seeing all platforms unable to matchmake, the team is working hard to restore functionality."

Over the next 15 hours, players continued to experience issues getting into the game, once again primarily affecting UK and European players hoping to play at the end of the working day, and then bleeding into the gaming time of US players, too.

Last edited:

Deerock71

What a disasterclass from Starbreeze, smh.
I kind of feel for them. Getting working code up and running on day 1 is too much to ask of these poor guys.
Programmer Coding GIF

IceSage91

Banned
I kind of feel for them. Getting working code up and running on day 1 is too much to ask of these poor guys.
Programmer Coding GIF
Making and launching games is hard, I still bad for anyone who can't play the game they paid for but sometimes people get a lol cray

Phase

I don't know much about server tech, but can't companies make sure they have enough server capacity to have a smooth launch? Is this situation (which we see often) caused by using automatically expanding server tiers?

I'm just going to assume it's because companies always try to cut corners and not invest enough financially to make sure the experience is smooth.

IceSage91

Banned
I don't know much about server tech, but can't companies make sure they have enough server capacity to have a smooth launch? Is this situation (which we see often) caused by using automatically expanding server tiers?

I'm just going to assume it's because companies always try to cut corners and not invest enough financially to make sure the experience is smooth.
It being such a common issue with multiplayer game launches would imply it isn't as easy as knowing exactly what capacity you need

Phase

It being such a common issue with multiplayer game launches would imply it isn't as easy as knowing exactly what capacity you need
Well, you don't need to know exactly how much you'll need. You need to make sure you have MORE THAN YOU MAY NEED. I know in many instances companies are on automatically-tiered plans that need to get hammered before that tier rises (which causes problems every time, and certainly not with just games). IMO a company should invest in making sure no matter what you've covered the server-bases that need to be covered for their launch. If issues are capacity based then they are at fault.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Well, you don't need to know exactly how much you'll need. You need to make sure you have MORE THAN YOU MAY NEED. I know in many instances companies are on automatically-tiered plans that need to get hammered before that tier rises (which causes problems every time, and certainly not with just games). IMO a company should invest in making sure no matter what you've covered the server-bases that need to be covered for their launch. If issues are capacity based then they are at fault.

Often it's easier to scale up rather than scale down. Don't want to get stuck leasing severs you won't need as the initial rush drops off.

Top Bottom