• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People with blood type O more protected against COVID-19 - studies

cryptoadam

Banned

People with blood type O have less of a chance of getting COVID-19, according to a number of studies published all over the world during the pandemic. But people with type A might be more vulnerable.

After the pandemic broke out, one of the questions that scientists and doctors became puzzled by was why are some people more susceptible to contracting and even succumbing to the disease caused by coronavirus than others?

Several studies have researched the link that genetics plays in susceptibility to contracting the virus, and some more specifically have linked the role played by blood type. The studies all came to a similar conclusion: People with blood type O have less of a chance of getting COVID-19.

cryptoadam

Banned
Usually if you do a blood test they can tell you this.

I am going for one the next day or two so I will ask them my blood type.

Hopefully its O

Dural

Wife and I are O- and our two kids together are O-, stepson is A. Sounds like we're good to go.

morelan

Great news. Me and everyone in my family are O+.

(But according to wikipedia 45% of Brazil are O and we're having a bad time with Covid, so I don't know if it really helps).

NeoGiffer

arg-o-5O-tr.gif

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is really really soft data. There may be familial factors at play with covid and blood group genetics are just along for the ride. Clearly other risk factors are far more important, else the black population, much more likely to be O or B than whites, wouldn't be hit as hard as they are.

cryptoadam

Banned
This is really really soft data. There may be familial factors at play with covid and blood group genetics are just along for the ride. Clearly other risk factors are far more important, else the black population, much more likely to be O or B than whites, wouldn't be hit as hard as they are.

Well we could add it in with what the CDC said, if you have underlying conditions you are 12 times more likely to die.

Also a high level alpha defensin protein in blood leads to blot clots.

So it looks like a nice smorgeshboard of genetics, blood type, and health that lead to being hit harder by the virus.

lock2k

Banned
O dear, this is bad news

Putting the O in Corona

Half of the Italian American population are fucked, they're either O or A

Can confirm about Italians. Half of my family is O (including my wife). I am B, what does that mean? Half-fucked? lol

GAMETA

Banned
How strange that a lot of you don't know your blood type. You never donated blood or made any tests?

Droxcy

I think i’m O type from when I had it drawn years ago, but what does it matter trump said close your eyes and the rona won’t get you!

/s

Last edited:
Top Bottom