• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer hints at future Xbox Game Pass or console price increases at WSJ Live

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just curious... Do you expect everything you buy .... Milk, bread, electricity, Spotify, Netflix, broadband, alcohol, petrol..... So stay the same price for your whole life??? You expect those prices to never be raised..... Ever???!!!!

Oh my dear boy your in for a world of dissapointment. Just curious, are you a child or a grown man? I expect this level of thought from a child who doesn't understand life.
I still buy bread for a shilling halfpenny.

I dont care if anyone drops Xbox or not. Look Hawking said it better than me, what i meant by my Gamepass comments and price. Its you lot what jumped on me 'lolz you want yto pay more', 'lolz yuo want a to give Phil a handjob', and other fanboy drivel.

I have said numerous times over the past couple of year that i expect Gamepass prices to go up, even as high as £20+ in the future.

The increase was a given. Its always going to happen. The more controversial part is whether it will affect individual game and console prices.

D Darsxx82 made good point about offsetting these increases via Gamepass + $70 games. Will they touch the consoles though? I mean now since Satya has stated that Series S is doing well to bring in new customers.
I don't think they'd wanna fuck with that.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
NGNWOK9.jpg
And then people wonder why i lump him with Jim Ryan. He will say anything to get a round of applause.

Stuart360

The increase was a given. Its always going to happen. The more controversial part is whether it will affect individual game and console prices.

D Darsxx82 made good point about offsetting these increases via Gamepass + $70 games. Will they touch the consoles though? I mean now since Satya has stated that Series S is doing well to bring in new customers.
I don't think they'd wanna fuck with that.
Yeah not sure they will raise the console prices, but even if they do it will only be what everyone else is doing.
Thats kind of what i mean, everyone else can do it but MS does it and they are evil, anticonsumer etc, when for everyone else its 'good business sense', 'just reflecting the financial mess the world is in' etc.

nikolino840

Didnt Phil immediately make a tweet following Jim Ryan's PS5 price increase announcement to show just how much of a good guy he is or am I imagining things? How is gonna say something like that and only a few weeks later turn around and say yeah, the price increases are coming.
Sure but The service was launched on June 1, 2017.. PlayStation 5 on November 12, 2020

Stuart360

And then people wonder why i lump him with Jim Ryan. He will say anything to get a round of applause.
Well they didnt, and havent yet. I mean at least wait for it to happen. And saying what he said doesnt mean there will be no price raising for the rest of humanity's timeline.

bender

What time is it?
Will they touch the consoles though?

I think it would depend on where GP subscriptions are growing most. If it is the console userbase, I think you'd take the loss and keep the pricing the same on hardware to get more people into your subscription service.

reksveks

I don't expect console prices to increase soon, games might become 70 dollars cause its another advertising point for the MS store and GP.

I do wonder what they do to the GP pricing given they have already kinda priced the family plan in certain markets.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Gaming's politician. As I have said before.

You are beholden to your shareholders, you can only eat losses and little revenue increases compared to pre-recession and major inflation for so long.

Apparently contrary to certain members constant denials Game Pass is profitable.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/26/23425029/microsoft-xbox-game-pass-profitable-revenues
Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer has revealed that the company’s Xbox Game Pass subscription service is already profitable. Speaking at The Wall Street Journal’s Tech Live conference, Spencer also revealed that Xbox Game Pass is around 15 percent of Microsoft’s overall Xbox content and services revenue.
Spencer says he now expects Xbox Game Pass to stay at around 10–15 percent of Microsoft’s Xbox content and services revenue and that “it’s profitable for us.”

xHunter

Sony engages in conduct today which is reflective of its market power in console gaming. Such is Sony's market strength that it has recently imposed a significant price increase for its PlayStation 5 console, of up to 20% in most markets outside of the US (6% in the UK). This move has been described by commentators as "displaying an unfortunate arrogance". Xbox has confirmed that it has no plans to raise the price of the Xbox Series X or Series S and that the consoles will remain at their current price in the US, UK and Europe.

Arrogant Microsoft returns.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Apparently contrary to certain members constant denials Game Pass is profitable.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/26/23425029/microsoft-xbox-game-pass-profitable-revenues

Incredible. It'll only grow more with more first party games coming out in the coming months.

So one of the richest companies in the world, who is happy to throw $60+ billion to purchase gaming companies, who just stated they're making a profit off of their sub service, will increase prices on consoles/sub service?

Some time in the future, not now, yes.

Last edited:
Yeah not sure they will raise the console prices, but even if they do it will only be what everyone else is doing.
Thats kind of what i mean, everyone else can do it but MS does it and they are evil, anticonsumer etc, when for everyone else its 'good business sense', 'just reflecting the financial mess the world is in' etc.

Its all just business in the end. No one from PS or Xbox is out there to make pals on gaming forums or score kudos points with the fanbase.

Personally I don't give a shit what increases and by how much. Just give me good games and I'll be happy to pay whatever.

Ellery

Paying $1.10 (10% inflation) for gamepass every now and then is still okay.

So far I've paid about 7$ and had gamepass subscriptions for over 12 months. I understand that this cannot be sustainable.

Other than that no idea. I access the xbox ecosystem through PC and PC hardware has gotten more expensive too. The Series X is a good console for $499 and no idea if they raise the price.
Software other than gamepass is also not really on my radar with Xbox so only the cost of gamepass might affect me.

But what would that even be? Regular cost of $9.99 a month up to 10.98$ ? Not the end of the world. I didn't get a 10% raise at work so I would be at a net loss in this scenario, but subbing once a year to gamepass to play Starfield and some COOP with mates is still fine.

Unless we see layoffs at Xbox and Microsoft I think they are fine to slightly increase prices matching the salary increase their employees get.

It shouldn't matter if its profitable or not.

As a consumer your main concern is what the service is offering you and at what price point. For the average Joe GamePass is incredible value.

I never understood this whole fascination about profitability and all that shit. That's for the execs at Xbox to worry about.

Yoboman

Sony been swindling loyal customer's with the software increase for years now. The console increase was forced on them by a recession. I'm not sure Microsoft will follow suit in that regard but then they can afford to lose more than Sony. Gamepass was always going to increase in price so I'm not sure who thought otherwise 🤔
So let me get this straight

Sony = swindling the loyal customer :lollipop_horns:
MS = unavoidable, victim of market forces :goog_crying:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It shouldn't matter if its profitable or not.

As a consumer your main concern is what the service is offering you and at what price point. For the average Joe GamePass is incredible value.

I never understood this whole fascination about profitability and all that shit. That's for the execs at Xbox to worry about.
I'm not and have never been concerned, but there is a big group of people on GAF that are terribly concerned and express that concern in pretty much EVERY Game Pass thread. I just wanted to put their minds at ease and let them know that all those losses they have been theorizing don't actually exist and they no longer need to worry about a service it's very likely a lot of them don't even subscribe to. :pie_roffles::pie_gsquint:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nintendo games sitting at £35-£40 at launch with an annual subscription of £12.

Bargain Nintendo. Strangest timeline?

Awkward Jesse Pinkman GIF by Breaking Bad

Who am I kidding, £349 Switch 2 with £29.99 sub incoming.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm not and have never been concerned, but there is a big group of people on GAF that are terribly concerned and express that concern in pretty much EVERY Game Pass thread. I just wanted to put their minds at ease and let them know that all those losses they have been theorizing don't actually exist and they no longer need to worry about a service it's very likely a lot of them don't even subscribe to. :pie_roffles::pie_gsquint:
Which his timing for the "prices will have to increase" is said just before all those first party games that were delayed this year, to next year end up on the service. Especially when software revenue is down and reaching "market saturation" that the service is on. Again, his words as well. ;)

Everything that the concerned folk have been saying, is starting to come to fruition. Some are just too hyper focused on the war snippets and not the larger picture.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
That doesn't mean they weren't taking losses for a long time. Remember. Gamepass is not new. It's been around for a minute. This is the first time the word profitable has been mentioned. This is assuming uncle Phil is being 100 percent honest of course.

Stuart360

Which his timing for the "prices will have to increase" is said just before all those first party games that were delayed this year, to next year end up on the service. Especially when software revenue is down and reaching "market saturation" that the service is on. Again, his words as well. ;)

Everything that the concerned folk have been saying, is starting to come to fruition. Some are just too hyper focused on the war snippets and not the larger picture.
Well they have barely released any first party games this year so game sales are down. And i think a lot of people would think its good business sense to POSSIBLY raise the price of a sub service, right before a few big name first party games release next year, when consumers are probably more likely to accept it.

They are not a charity at the end of the day.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Christ, what kinda bread are you buying. I'm surprised you're still alive.
Sawdust bread bro. Liz Truss saw to that. Moved my family to the workhouse last week too. It was either that or prop up my PS5 on stilts to shelter us all, but I had to sell the PS5 to afford my sawdust bread.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well they have barely released any first party games this year so game sales are down. And i think a lot of people would think its good business sense to POSSIBLY raise the price of a sub service, right before a few big name first party games release next year, when consumers are probably more likely to accept it.

They are not a charity at the end of the day.
Now where have I heard this before?
The New Power Generation Tea GIF by Prince

Top Bottom