• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Nintendo and Sony are not going to do anything that damages gaming in the long run.

"Spencer said he's concerned about tech companies unfamiliar with the gaming industry barging in to the space"

ironic alanis morissette GIF
Microsoft have been making games for 30 years.

ZywyPL

Banned
I get what he's trying to say - all the big tech companies have no expertise on the gaming market, they just see it's the fastest growing entertainment market on the planet and want a piece of it too. So imagine the likes of Facebook and Google buying out all the big, known publishers/studios and IPs, and locking them behind Stadia, VR and so on, only to fail and close the said studios and kill the IP. Think of it as what EA is already doing but at a much, much bigger scale and much higher pace.

I get what he's trying to say - all the big tech companies have no expertise on the gaming market, they just see it's the fastest growing entertainment market on the planet and want a piece of it too. So imagine the likes of Facebook and Google buying out all the big, known publishers/studios and IPs, and locking them behind Stadia, VR and so on, only to fail and close the said studios and kill the IP. Think of it as what EA is already doing but at a much, much bigger scale and much higher pace.
Facebook decides to push into gaming and if it doesn't go well they shutter a bunch of studios and the industry is worse off for it. At least with MS, they aren't locking up this content behind one specific platform. Xbox, xCloud, PC, etc. Sure, its unfortunate that Sony and Nintendo fans will be impacted, but this is the better outcome versus someone like Google or Facebook taking charge.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
but this is the better outcome versus someone like Google or Facebook taking charge.
Or Tencent, Apple, Google, Amazon. There's a giant group of mega-corps interested, and that's what he's referring to while complimenting Sony and Nintendo. But the salt intake on here is just so high it will take years before they can acknowledge anything Phil says as positive.

Thaedolus

LMAO- it’s a pretty reasonable statement but the salt here is insane.

MS hasn’t always gotten it right, but you can’t deny they had a huge hand in advancing console gaming into the modern age and have been legit doing great things at various times. Xbox One was a huge misstep, but they’re not forever in the doghouse for that and it wasn’t Phil’s doing

Kacho

Or Tencent, Apple, Google, Amazon. There's a giant group of mega-corps interested, and that's what he's referring to while complimenting Sony and Nintendo. But the salt intake on here is just so high it will take years before they can acknowledge anything Phil says as positive.
Yep. People can’t help with the knee jerk shitposting because emotions are still high.

It's going to take one of them gobbling up a publisher that owns the rights to their favorite game and locking it behind some shitty service that nobody asked for or wanted, and then shutting them down when it doesn't go to plan.

chonga

I think he's awkwardly saying that he trusts Sony and Nintendo to help preserve some semblance of the business as it exists today, without excessively twisting it into a dystopian NFT disaster.

But what he's really saying is that he doesn't trust that with Amazon, Google, Facebook, Apple, Tencent. He's interested in preserving gaming.
No it translates to this:
Google has a monopoly on search.
Amazon has a monopoly on shopping.
Facebook has a monopoly on social.
We want a monopoly on gaming and woe betide anyone who stand in our way.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You're right on the first 3 sentences. But the last sentence is not really what he said. He basically said that any of those other companies will treat gaming as an afterthought to be exploited for short term gain, and that Sony and Nintendo are both valuable partners / competitors.

He’s not complimenting sony and nintendo he’s leveraging them in his favor when separating companies who make revenue primarily from their gaming divisions. he’s pretty much saying, “they don’t have the power to consolidate the industry”. Microsoft does, and gaming is safer in their hands versus the OTHER non-gaming companies like them

Microsoft want to run gaming unopposed.

At this point i say let facebook, amazon, and google in and let them destroy 3rd party. I’d rather they blow it up then give all the power to Microsoft

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think Microsoft should acquire Sony and Nintendo before Google and Apple completely destroy this industry.

NickFire

LMAO- it’s a pretty reasonable statement but the salt here is insane.

MS hasn’t always gotten it right, but you can’t deny they had a huge hand in advancing console gaming into the modern age and have been legit doing great things at various times. Xbox One was a huge misstep, but they’re not forever in the doghouse for that and it wasn’t Phil’s doing
Damn right its a reasonable statement. Check out the post I am replying to in this very post. It perfectly shows how effectively he communicates to the troops.

What is the one thing in common with those companies you listed?

They have the financial ability to match or exceed Microsoft. I'm sure it is just a coincidence that he wants Xbox's gaming competitors to only be companies that do not have the finances to compete with Microsoft.

Three

He's saying it's fine for the existing big gaming brands (sony, nintendo, ms, etc) to purchase big publishers because they have a history of not destroying the hobby. There is no guarantee with an outsider.
But they were an outsider too when they came in and bought Rare and tried to develop a business to dominate the living room. Google and Facebook are young companies who says they will destroy it. Facebook/Meta seems to be doing alright with Oculus and Quest 2.

This is what it sounded like to me too. Like he wanted to be like Google, Amazon and Facebook.

NickFire

InB4 "Sony and Nintendo have been great for gaming. But in the wrong hands, their power could really mess up gaming. Someone needed to buy them before Facebook or Amazon did."

Edit - HOLY CRAP I think I'm a prophet. My joke got in only two posts before "One of these big publishers will fall into the wrong hands then everyone will wish Microsoft would have purchased them."

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Microsoft buying Activision means that Meta, Amazon and Google can't, that's basically what he is saying.
I can't see why anyone would have a problem with this, imagine Call Of Duty becoming a Stadia exclusive.
One of these big publishers will fall into the wrong hands then everyone will wish Microsoft would have purchased them.

splattered

So he says, "Sony and Nintendo won't damage the gaming industry. Google, Apple and Amazon might."

He also said, "Microsoft isn't competing with Sony and Nintendo - we are more akin to Google, Apple and Amazon".

No, he said Google, Apple, and Amazon are the ones to be worried about - not Nintendo or Sony.

I don't know why people keep falling over themselves trying to twist this into a Microsoft Bad situation.

If Sony went out and bought Square or Capcom people would be dancing in the streets. It's just silly.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
InB4 "Sony and Nintendo have been great for gaming. But in the wrong hands, their power could really mess up gaming. Someone needed to buy them before Facebook or Amazon did."
Too late.

I think Microsoft should acquire Sony and Nintendo before Google and Apple completely destroy this industry.

Last edited:
People in here really think Phil Spencer ran these multi-billion dollar gaming acquisitions by Nadella as some altruistic campaign to save gaming? Lmao

They are doing this because they want to expand their cloud/azure services they are banking on and with that they pretty much eclipse every other tech company at everything else they do, especially data collection. They aren’t any different then Amazon or Google. They are just trying to do it through gaming which has become the biggest industry on the planet.

Phil is great at marketing but he’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing. At the end of the day microsoft is just trying to get to 3 trillion before the other companies

People want MS to consolodate the industry over Apple, Facebook etc because the current leadership are doing all the right things at the moment.

Problem is they won't be there forever. Shit can change fast under different leadership as we've seen with Sony. The direction of gaming falling under such a small group of people isn't good no matter who it is

MarkMe2525

"Spencer said he's concerned about tech companies unfamiliar with the gaming industry barging in to the space"

ironic alanis morissette GIF
Microsoft has been apart of gaming since almost the inception. It's easy to forget or dismiss that they have been around and publishing games since the late 70's.

Edit: I see that this already has been brought to attention

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think he's awkwardly saying that he trusts Sony and Nintendo to help preserve some semblance of the business as it exists today, without excessively twisting it into a dystopian NFT disaster.

But what he's really saying is that he doesn't trust that with Amazon, Google, Facebook, Apple, Tencent. He's interested in preserving gaming.
More interested in beating those companies to the punch. But yeah, he’s not wrong, Sony and Nintendo aren’t bad actors like Tencent, Facebook, Amazon and Google.

Last edited:

Markio128

Microsoft buying Activision means that Meta, Amazon and Google can't, that's basically what he is saying.
I can't see why anyone would have a problem with this, imagine Call Of Duty becoming a Stadia exclusive.
One of these big publishers will fall into the wrong hands then everyone will wish Microsoft would have purchased them.
What’s the difference really? MS? Amazon? Google? Meta?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
No, he said Google, Apple, and Amazon are the ones to be worried about - not Nintendo or Sony.

I don't know why people keep falling over themselves trying to twist this into a Microsoft Bad situation.

If Sony went out and bought Square or Capcom people would be dancing in the streets. It's just silly.
He said positive things about Nintendo, Sony. And pointed out that multiple people with no / limited history in gaming are moving in. But the sky is falling suddenly because he said something that I bet 100% of the people in here agree with.

Retard alert is strong in this thread.

Top Bottom