• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer wants Sony and Nintendo games on Xbox, but says he doesn’t expect it

IDappa

It'll come at some point. Helldivers 2 is a good example of what happens when PC gamers get day one games. If it's good they'll bite. Treat them as leftovers, and they'll move on to something else.

Put it this way. When Horizon was announced in early 2020 that it was coming to PC that was the first big attempt at going multiplatform. There is no way no how anyone before that announcement date would had guessed in 2024, you have like 10-15 PC ports, day one GAAS on PC, The Show on Xbox/Switch, and Sony constantly doing PC ports every 3 months. At that time, every gamer thought PS games would be hard locked behind a PS system. Not any more.

So to think day one SP games (the last bastion) will totally be a permanent PS only thing is silly. Everything above came true, so can this. Heck, H2 is already a day one game so they already know GAAS are worth doing on PC right away despite giving away 30% cuts to Steam.

If Helldivers 2 tanked on PC, it would show execs releasing games on PC right away isnt worth the hassle. Just focus on PS and do a port a year or two later (Helldivers 1 came to PC 9 month later and got maybe 5000 gamers on Steam playing CCU). But with H2 success, it'll egg them on to do more PC ports faster. Just imagine how many copies of GOW they'd sell if they didn't launch it 4 years later.
For sure, people use this train of thought with Microsoft and their 4 upcoming ps games but I don’t see why we can’t say the same for Sony and pc. Gaming is such a in the now hobby, if you come late people just aren’t as interested in playing, gamers love the hype of a new release and most cannot hold back their impulses (guilty). If you come out late the hype’s dead, advertising is either low to non existent and add on top of word of mouth and YouTube playthroughs interest just dies.

I’m sure Sony are frothing right now at the potential of their bigger games coming day one after helldivers. Just imagine what ghosts of Tsushima 2 will do.

laynelane

That would literally be the dumbest idea for Sony to do as a business.

Now that MS is releasing their "older" games on other consoles, I believe we will see lots of requests for Sony to follow suit. It's set to be yet another version of Sonytoo. When they don't do that, for various solid reasons, I expect the usual "anti-consumer" rhetoric to be levied in time too.

Shin-Ra

Steve Martin Idk GIF

I mean, they have The Show and Banjo.
They’ve had Banjo since they bought Rare.

Kumomeme

well this is kind of pathetic coming from someone who failed to create their own equal awesome exclusive

Last edited:
Reactions: CLW

CLW

Now that MS is releasing their "older" games on other consoles, I believe we will see lots of requests for Sony to follow suit. It's set to be yet another version of Sonytoo. When they don't do that, for various solid reasons, I expect the usual "anti-consumer" rhetoric to be levied in time too.

And? Who's version is actually winning in the actual real world not some imaginary communist dreamland imagined by the writers at Kotaku

Nintendo is going to Nintendo

Sony is going to Sony

XBox is going to die

I'm sorry that upsets people but its the truth - MS simply didn't make any compelling reasons to own their hardware i.e. no actual "exclusives" on it and they died because of that decision

laynelane

And? Who's version is actually winning in the actual real world not some imaginary communist dreamland imagined by the writers at Kotaku

Nintendo is going to Nintendo

Sony is going to Sony

XBox is going to die

I'm sorry that upsets people but its the truth - MS simply didn't make any compelling reasons to own their hardware i.e. no actual "exclusives" on it and they died because of that decision

I'm not really clear how your comment connects to mine. Predicting patterns of behavior, based on previous shenanigans, is a different topic from your predictions.

Top Bottom