• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Philippines' Duterte orders troops to disputed South China Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

BEIJING — The Philippines president appeared to revive his quarrels with China on Thursday, ordering Philippine troops to occupy islands and reefs in the disputed South China Sea — and said may even stop by for a visit.

Rodrigo Duterte said that the military should build structures on all of the Philippine-held islands, reefs and shoals in the contested Spratly Islands — not far from seven man-made Chinese islands in the area.

China’s construction of the islands is part of its claims of territorial sovereignty over the entire South China Sea, an important route for sea trade across Southeast Asia. Neighboring nations strongly oppose Beijing’s moves and worry that the runways and docks on the artificial islands could eventually have a military use.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...55b4c1cfae2_story.html?utm_term=.5c132c2a2ba1

MLCodest

This is not going to end well for him. He already is on shaky terms with the US, don't think he can afford that with China as well.

Zips

Uhhh...since he's already been waving away the U.S., what's his plan now? To be devoured by China's military?

Or has he liked the U.S. more since Trump came around, like minds and whatnot, and is counting on the U.S. saving him, or Trump using this as a fight to boost his approval ratings?

Derwind

So Duterte is trying to increase tension with the only ally that will moderately put up with his shit.

Good fucking luck I say.

Interesting strategy after admitting China will just get whatever it wants.

Right? He gave the finger to the US while leaning towards China, and now this. Wonder if this is part of an overarching strategy, or just a monumental "we fucked up" moment.

Slayven

So Duterte is trying to increase tension with the only ally that will moderately put up with his shit.

Good fucking luck I say.

9ntCC4P.jpg

Pachimari

Duterte have already said he can't do anything about the situation cause they don't have the military to go up against China.

omg_mjd

Don't risk our soldiers on this.

Instead, send the brave vigilantes that have courageously murdered thousands of evil drug users ever since Duterte took office

Ovid

Don't risk our soldiers on this.

Instead, send the brave vigilantes that have courageously murdered thousands of evil drug users ever since Duterte took office

Sorry, looks like it's going to happen.

This guy is such an idiot.

Chichikov

Feels china has disputed areas with everyone over there Japan, Philippines you name it.
Everyone is has disputes with everyone in the south China sea.
Even if you take China out of the equation, there isn't a country in the region that completely accept the claims of any other country.

I don't like the dude but I say good on him for this one. China been bulling smaller states when it comes to the South China Sea.

_90356589_south_china_sea_spratlys.png

Sunster

I don't like the dude but I say good on him for this one. China been bulling smaller states when it comes to the South China Sea.

_90356589_south_china_sea_spratlys.png

I agree and from what I read in an article months ago about this island back when Duterte ordered troops there, China is not pushing for it right now. They have simply sent a few boats near it. I do not think the troops are at risk. This is not an instigation.

GreekWolf

Oh, cool.

He's already called America a bunch of idiots, personally insulted both Obama and Trump and has made numerous threats to deport all U.S. soldiers from his country.

So what's going to happen when China starts blowing the Pinoy Navy off the globe? Does Duterte think the U.S. is going to swoop in and save his country? After all the shade he's thrown?

Godspeed Filipinos.

Abounder

Banned
Oh, cool.

He's already called America a bunch of idiots, personally insulted both Obama and Trump and has made numerous threats to deport all U.S. soldiers from his country.

So what's going to happen when China starts blowing the Pinoy Navy off the globe? Does Duterte think the U.S. is going to swoop in and save his country? After all the shade he's thrown?

Godspeed Filipinos.

Hell yea we would. Philippines is worth so much more than Duterte & Co.'s trash talk. And let's be real it would be a great distraction for our birther in chief.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Hell yea we would. Philippines is worth so much more than Duterte & Co.'s trash talk. And let's be real it would be a great distraction for our birther in chief.
Trump would need help finding the right place on the map to send ships to.

Arex

Idk, it's not like China's gonna just invade Philippine no?

probably gonna be some economic threats and stuff.

Piecake

Idk, it's not like China's gonna just invade Philippine no?

probably gonna be some economic threats and stuff.

Doing this does increase the likelihood of a military incident. Just because the leaders might not one doesnt mean that a scared or super patriotic or trigger-happy military commander can't attack the opposing side.

What happens then? Can't say I have all that much faith that Duterte will have a cool head in that situation

Zips

No one is going to attack them, he knows that

Eh. He's poking a bear with no clear plan, and after flipping off what would be his strongest ally.

If he's lucky, it'll work out and China will back down, along with maybe pulling back that silly border claim they have just a wee bit.

It's playing with fire no doubt though.

Doing this does increase the likelihood of a military incident. Just because the leaders might not one doesnt mean that a scared or super patriotic or trigger-happy military commander can't attack the opposing side.

What happens then? Can't say I have all that much faith that Duterte will have a cool head in that situation

Well you can't let China push you around without even token resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom