• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

Korigama

Just started case 5. The nonsensical solution to that awful
puzzle box
was infuriating, because there was nothing to suggest that it actually worked that way.

Bowl0l

Just started case 5. The nonsensical solution to that awful
puzzle box
was infuriating, because there was nothing to suggest that it actually worked that way.
I still think the Seance portion of case 3, regarding the
broken lantern
is harder.
It's hard for me to spot the details of the images that appears..

Korigama

I still think the Seance portion of case 3, regarding the
broken lantern
is harder.
It's hard for me to spot the details of the images that appears..
That one I didn't have any particular trouble with (I could see it reasonably well, playing on a standard 3DS XL for the record).

cj_iwakura

Case 5/6 was insane.... probably the best final case ever, even if it did skip over a few things that they should have let the player figure out. Good stuff.

And yeah, Rayfa redeemed. I give up.

Korigama

Already went into more detail with my thoughts on the game in the spoiler thread, so I suppose I could take time to rank what I've played.

1 = 3 > 5 = AAI >= 6 > 2 > 4

In all honesty, still not entirely sure about its placement, but still better than I've come to expect from the even-numbered games (especially that piece of crap AA4).

Supast4r

To me case 4 showed
the gap between Apollo and Athena as lawyers which fit the overall story the game was trying to tell.
It also shows that Athena is still not yet ready to face the court room alone since she needed Simon. I fucking loved Dhruke. Imho he is one of the best characters in the series and easily the best in this game. The twist was insane.

Supast4r

Case 4, 5 minutes in, Simon x Athena is strong already.
Isn't Simon like double her age? And we already know that Simon willingly took the blame and got jailed for Athena to have a life. We also know that Athena became a lawyer and rushed through education just to save Simon. Tldr Simon sees her as someone to protect since she was the daughter of his master while Athena sees him as an awkward older brother.

Supast4r

Just finished Case 5. It was excellent, best Case 5 of the series, right?

I think 4/5 of the cases were really strong. I'm about to replay AA3 Case 5 next, so I can compare the other Case 5 regarded as the best on the series.

I think start to finish, AA6 may be my favorite game of the series. It's definitely next to VS Layton for my favorite OST of the series.

... Man the ending was also really good! Especially that last conversation of the game, nice callback to fans of AA4!
The fact that they haven't revealed that they are brother and sister after all these games and after the ending with apollo is just weird to me. It's tied with the the engarde case from Phoenix wright 2 for me.

cj_iwakura

Isn't Simon like double her age? And we already know that Simon willingly took the blame and got jailed for Athena to have a life. We also know that Athena became a lawyer and rushed through education just to save Simon. Tldr Simon sees her as someone to protect since she was the daughter of his master while Athena sees him as an awkward older brother.

It's as if a million shippers cried out in agony, and were suddenly silenced.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The fact that they haven't revealed that they are brother and sister after all these games and after the ending with apollo is just weird to me. It's tied with the the engarde case from Phoenix wright 2 for me.

But that was a case 4

Supast4r

It's as if a million shippers cried out in agony, and were suddenly silenced.

The REAL ship is Ema Sky and Nahyuta. Ema clearly had some feelings for him when she goes on a rant saying that he is sweet but overworks her. To make matters more interesting, Ema agreed to stay in Khura'in. Who else is on this ship?

cj_iwakura

The REAL ship is Ema Sky and Nahyuta. Ema clearly had some feelings for him when she goes on a rant saying that he is sweet but overworks her. To make matters more interesting, Ema agreed to stay in Khura'in. Who else is on this ship?
Hmmmmm...

I'll allow it.

spiritfox

Sorry Ema is taken by me Klavier.

Permanently A

I also got that vibe the whole time. Nahyuta personally asking for her and flying her down to Khu'rain? Bruh

I'm in Case 5 right now, in Khu'rain after shit goes down and I'm enjoying this game.

But I do think I like Dual Destinies better, which is probably as unpopular an opinion as one can have. It sure tried real hard to beat it out though by finally stopping with cockteasing us and showing us a
grown-up Maya
. Having
Maya
back makes it all worth it, was so awesome to see them.

But I also liken that to the fact that I fucking LOVE Athena and she is my favorite Ace Attorney character. And DD, being her introduction, was really her time to shine with new mechanics that I enjoyed as well as DD's Case 5 being one of my favorite cases.

This game does a good job bumping around who you play as, but as someone said before, Athena's trial is the weakest one because she seems kinda out of character in it. Also they sure are pushing Apollo to be the main character aren't they? Dude had his own game, had his redemption and characterization explosion in DD and this game may as well be Apollo Justice 2. Not that I particularly mind, but it's interesting that they really seem to want to get away from Phoenix as the MC and put him more in a mentor role to let the new blood take the stage. Which is funny to me because I don't think anyone ever wanted to play as anyone other than Phoenix and people clamor for him to take center stage again. Not too sure why game companies do this so much, I don't believe that an older Phoenix would turn off people from buying the game when a huge part of people playing it was him. Him and his relationship with Trucy and older Maya would be fun to play as. Have him lead with the other 2 attorneys helping out, as opposed to what's pretty much the opposite at this point.

ANYWAYS, back to this 5th case. It's really good and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

...I might start a thread this week about game characters that only you love and lead off with Athena. I love everything about her character: her design, her attitude, her animations, her cases (mostly), her game mechanics, everything.

Korigama

I'm in Case 5 right now, in Khu'rain after shit goes down and I'm enjoying this game.

But I do think I like Dual Destinies better, which is probably as unpopular an opinion as one can have. It sure tried real hard to beat it out though by finally stopping with cockteasing us and showing us a
grown-up Maya
. Having
Maya

But I also liken that to the fact that I fucking LOVE Athena and she is my favorite Ace Attorney character. And DD, being her introduction, was really her time to shine with new mechanics that I enjoyed as well as DD's Case 5 being one of my favorite cases.

This game does a good job bumping around who you play as, but as someone said before, Athena's trial is the weakest one because she seems kinda out of character in it. Also they sure are pushing Apollo to be the main character aren't they? Dude had his own game, had his redemption and characterization explosion in DD and this game may as well be Apollo Justice 2. Not that I particularly mind, but it's interesting that they really seem to want to get away from Phoenix as the MC and put him more in a mentor role to let the new blood take the stage. Which is funny to me because I don't think anyone ever wanted to play as anyone other than Phoenix and people clamor for him to take center stage again. Not too sure why game companies do this so much, I don't believe that an older Phoenix would turn off people from buying the game when a huge part of people playing it was him. Him and his relationship with Trucy and older Maya would be fun to play as. Have him lead with the other 2 attorneys helping out, as opposed to what's pretty much the opposite at this point.

ANYWAYS, back to this 5th case. It's really good and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

...I might start a thread this week about game characters that only you love and lead off with Athena. I love everything about her character: her design, her attitude, her animations, her cases (mostly), her game mechanics, everything.
I was rather surprised myself to see how many people were down on AA5 around here. If anything, that game convinced me stick with the main series after what a trainwreck AA4 was, and I certainly wouldn't have wanted more with AA6 if I didn't like the one just before it. Regarding Apollo, keep playing to see where they're going with him (no question that this is a reversal of what happened in his debut by stealing the spotlight from Nick this time around, though). 6-5 is definitely a good case.

If I had to choose, I would pick Athena as my favorite addition during the new trilogy for pretty much all of the same reasons. Meanwhile, Simon was easily my favorite of the new prosecutors, and I loved the dynamic of
the two working together
in case 4 for this one.

Supast4r

Sorry Ema is taken by me Klavier.

I also got that vibe the whole time. Nahyuta personally asking for her and flying her down to Khu'rain? Bruh

Ema mentions in this game how much she hated working with Klavier. She goes on a huge rant about it. She mentions how much she likes Nahyuta but has conflicting emotions about him because he overworks her. She fucking mentions how much she likes his personality, Phoenix/Athena say that Nahyuta likes her since he is personally paying to fly her to Khura'in all the time, etc. Plus she stays in Khura'in at the end of the game. I need Ema + Nahyuta and I need Juniper Woods to show up in Khura'in in the 7th game. Juniper and her gang would be perfect in Khura'in because they wanted to reform the justice system, Juniper has a huge crush on Apollo, Juniper likes mountainy areas due to her breathing and Khura'in a very mountaneous, etc. Make it happen capcom.

Supast4r

grown-up Maya
. Having
Maya

People didn't like Phoenix Wright 5? I thought the game fixed the series since the fourth game through a lot of random stuff in the main arc. (Phoenix randomly having a kid, a new prosecutor, no ties to Maya/Pearl/the Kurin village, no ties to ANY OLD CHARACTERS) Duel Destinies did a lot of good to clean up the mess that was 5. Also I like Athena but the whole therapy in court thing seems kinda crazy to me but in a game full of spirit mediums and shit I guess it's normal.

I only saw praise for 5 when it was out. It was viewed as a return to form
even though 4 was pretty good. It is most certainly not the worst in the series.

Im on Case 5 myself. Dragon Quest VII and pokemon delayed my progress

Korigama

People didn't like Phoenix Wright 5? I thought the game fixed the series since the fourth game through a lot of random stuff in the main arc. (Phoenix randomly having a kid, a new prosecutor, no ties to Maya/Pearl/the Kurin village, no ties to ANY OLD CHARACTERS) Duel Destinies did a lot of good to clean up the mess that was 5. Also I like Athena but the whole therapy in court thing seems kinda crazy to me but in a game full of spirit mediums and shit I guess it's normal.
Don't forget the black Psyche Locks. AA5 had to clean that addition up after AA4 introduced them and left them as a "Look how edgy and EVIL Kristoph is!" kind of thing before an actual explanation for what they were was provided.

Supast4r

I only saw praise for 5 when it was out. It was viewed as a return to form
even though 4 was pretty good. It is most certainly not the worst in the series.

Im on Case 5 myself. Dragon Quest VII and pokemon delayed my progress

The second game is the worst in the series. 4 had decent trials, it just made the series super complicated by adding a lot of characters who have no ties to any of the old characters/old lore.

Supast4r

Don't forget the black Psyche Locks. AA5 had to clean that addition up after AA4 introduced them and left them as a "Look how edgy and EVIL Kristoph is!" kind of thing before an actual explanation for what they were was provided.

Which is bullshit to me because Kristoph doesn't hold a candle to Dahlia Hawthrone. Dahlia was a legit fucked up serial killer who either plotted to kill every person who wronged her in her life. Many of her foes died/got severely injured either by her or because of something she did. Plus her breakdown moment is still the most fucked up thing in the series. I thought it was a waste to have the "black locks" on Kristoph when they should have been on Dahlia or on Godot. To this day Dahlia is the most dangerous enemy that Phoenix and co have been against.

I finally began playing it last Friday, thanks to the Capcom sale. It has taken me one week playing only during commutes to beat the first case, so this is probably going to take me some time.

The music has been wonderful. I think I have managed to forget Apollo Justice and dual Destinies completely, so I did not expect it to feel this good, being used to the chiptune of 1 to 3.
The downside? Ugh, that framerate. 3D mode is not an option, and even like that it suffers from time to time.

Hoping Trucy won't tag along like in Apollo Justice. I can deal with Athena, but Trucy is more than I can stand.

Got to Case 5 today. Ran into
Paul Atishon and instantly lost my will to play any further right now. He might just outdo Oldbag for characters who kill my enjoyment of the game. I know being obnoxious is their hook, but they somehow manage to cross the line from entertainingly obnoxious, to actually obnoxious.

Got to Case 5 today. Ran into
Paul Atishon and instantly lost my will to play any further right now. He might just outdo Oldbag for characters who kill my enjoyment of the game. I know being obnoxious is their hook, but they somehow manage to cross the line from entertainingly obnoxious, to actually obnoxious.

Which I think is completely intentional. Continue to play it, Case 5 is a crazy ride.

The second game is the worst in the series. 4 had decent trials, it just made the series super complicated by adding a lot of characters who have no ties to any of the old characters/old lore.

I really like AA2. Not quite as good as 1 and 3, but still fun and likeable. Franziska isn't as funny as Edgeworth, con Karma senior or Godot, but she's better than any prosecutor in 4,5 or 6, in my opinion anyway.

leroidys

I actually really like 4 except for that one godawful case. I even like Apollo in it, and IMHO it has the best visuals in the series. If 3 wasn't so damn amazing, it might even be my favorite.

Playing this whilst on holiday. Loving it so far - AA5 was great and so far this is just below it. Just finished case 2. The team making this game really nail the characters and their mannerisms. The reactions are often hilarious. I'd love to see how close to the Japanese script the English version sticks because it's really well written.

bronk

Banned
Had a great time with this game. I find it to be the worst of all the Ace Attorney games though imo. I love them all so I'm not saying its bad but I enjoyed it the least. One thing I have to say though is that the voice acting was atrocious, it would have been better off without it. Also I didnt love any of the music like I always do with each game. It was fine but usually there's a tune or two that really catch on with me. So in the end this and Dual Destinies are my least favorite ones.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Had a great time with this game. I find it to be the worst of all the Ace Attorney games though imo. I love them all so I'm not saying its bad but I enjoyed it the least. One thing I have to say though is that the voice acting was atrocious, it would have been better off without it. Also I didnt love any of the music like I always do with each game. It was fine but usually there's a tune or two that really catch on with me. So in the end this and Dual Destinies are my least favorite ones.

Dhurke's Theme didn't do it for you? What about A Cornered Heart? The Dance of Devotion?
Mr Reus's theme?

Yokai

I thought this was one of the best soundtracks in the series, tbh. I think it was miles better than Dual Destinies, though I still enjoyed that one as well.

Blackage

One of the things I got really excited about was
facing 2x prosecutors in the final case
, since Apollo/Phoenix teaming up was a pretty strong duo. Sadly one of them just didn't have their hearts in it.

Imagine Edgeworth & Simon or Godot vs Phoenix & Apollo or Athena. Just the god clash of Defense vs Prosecutors. I hope it happens in earnest in a future game.

Sciz

I went into this game not expecting too much after 5 left me lukewarm, and came out the other side feeling like it might be my favorite entry in the series. No idea how they're gonna manage to follow it up.

The most cheerful theme you'll ever hear for a character who wants you beheaded.

pbayne

lttp but finally finished.

Some thoughts
-Stellar animations and character models. Like shit they seemed really improved this time around. Can't wait to see what they can do if the series presumably will move to the Switch.
-Case 3 was really the only dud for me. The rest were fine-good. Case 4 in particular was really dumb but a lot of fun.
-Nahyuta was probably my least favorite prosecutor of the series.
-So much shipping lol. Its great.
-
Maya's
re-appearance feels a bit wasted overall. But in general the cast is way too bloated for everyone to do something meaningful anymore. I really hope they just go back to one protagonist and more focused story next time.
-Im kind of done with these one-off stories too. Im ready for a more meaty, thought out new trilogy.

So overall fine. To me it was just another ace attorney game, nothing much in the way of standing out from the others but not really many low points either.

Top Bottom