• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 2 GotM in Game Informer

SantaC

Gold Member
Full credits to nintendospy in IGN cube forums.

It got 8.75 and 8.75 and GotM. They mention that the replay value is high and that the game is not as stressful, plus that it has multiplayer longevity. Pikmin 2 focus more on combat and the usage of new Pikmin types.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
UFC PRIDE said:
Looks cool - too bad its not going to sell a whole lot.

It's already sold a lot in Japan. This game is a guaranteed million seller. I don't know what you're talking about.

robot

I thought Pikmin was pretty stressful - the time limit was always in the back of my head. Plus have all of you're pikmin getting eaten or drowned always pissed me off. Then again I wasn't that great at the game.

UFC PRIDE

The first didn't sell that much (HERE in the US).

I think it was 'stressful' because you had to play beat the clock - it was pretty annoying building up your whole army, then having to come all the way back. But it was cool when the clock wa about to hit zero and going on desperation runs to find any lost pikmin.

teepo

robot said:
I thought Pikmin was pretty stressful - the time limit was always in the back of my head. Plus have all of you're pikmin getting eaten or drowned always pissed me off. Then again I wasn't that great at the game.

same here brother :(

UFC PRIDE

It's not going to sell as much as that - because it was pretty much a launch game - there wasn't much to buy. Compared to other Nintendo games it was middle of pack I believe.

Soul4ger

UFC PRIDE said:
It's not going to sell as much as that - because it was pretty much a launch game - there wasn't much to buy. Compared to other Nintendo games it was middle of pack I believe.

It was also a brand new franchise. Not only is this game getting more publicity than the original, people also have a better idea of what to expect. I think you'll be surprised.

AirBrian

robot said:
I hated when the Pikmin would get trapped in the water and I couldn't get them out. That noise they made. :(

Borat

Banned
I CAN'T WAIT!!

hippo.gif

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
They're talking about the time limit. I found it stressful too, really hated it (the time limit, not the game).

I have no idea how you guys were able to relax with a game with a time limit.

UFC PRIDE

I was speaking in comparison to all of Nintendo's games - its not a major game on Nintendo's list. It's not going to sell like a Mario Party or something - when it should do much better. And its not going to make new GC buyers - even though its a good type of game. Its a type of game more people should try.

Soul4ger

UFC PRIDE said:
I was speaking in comparison to all of Nintendo's games - its not a major game on Nintendo's list. It's not going to sell like a Mario Party or something - when it should do much better. And its not going to make new GC buyers - even though its a good type of game. Its a type of game more people should try.

I think you fail to see the basic reasoning behind this. Pikmin was a BRAND NEW FRANCHISE. It didn't have Mario's face attached to it, it didn't have Pikachu attached to it. It was completely fresh, and the concept behind it was unique, so much so that people who wrote previews oftentimes didn't know what the hell they were talking about. It's plain to see that this would NOT sell as well as Mario Party, or Mario Kart. Understand?

UFC PRIDE

Why are you trying to jump all over me? I'm saying it SHOULD do better - that it deserves to do better because there's a lot worse Nintendo games above it that sell just because of a brand name. I'm agreeeing with you dumbass, shoot.

8bit

Knows the Score
There is still a daily time limit(although not when you're under the ground), but there isn't a limit to the number of days you can take to complete the game(that I've found). The tune the pikmin sing when they follow you is great.

On a related note, yesterday I got a weird message directing me to the following website.

http://nintendo.jp/p/c234

Seems to be some sort of survey, but excite and I haven't made a lot of sense of it so far.

Prospero

Mama Smurf said:
I have no idea how you guys were able to relax with a game with a time limit.

The time limit didn't have all that much impact on my gameplay unless I was trying to time-attack the game (by getting three ship pieces in one day, or something like that). Usually a day was plenty time to get something done, with time left over.

Also, for someone with a full-time job who wants to kick back after work for a little while, a game that's divided up into 15-minute segments (or however long a game day was) is perfect. I could sit down with Pikmin after dinner, knowing that I wasn't going to get drawn into a two-hour boss battle that would tie up the rest of my evening.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Prospero said:
The time limit didn't have all that much impact on my gameplay unless I was trying to time-attack the game (by getting three ship pieces in one day, or something like that). Usually a day was plenty time to get something done, with time left over.

Yeha, but you didn't know that first time through. I was like "Oh crap, 9 days gone and only 6 parts!" (I don't remember the exact numbers, but I was behind) and was constantly tempted to start the game over. I also got stressed everytime I accidently killed a load of pikmin, like if they fell of a ledge into the water or something. Not because I'd have to grow a load more, but because time was ticking.

Nicco

A game like Pikmin could never garner perfect scores in today's gaming press. As a sequel, Pikmin 2 is improved in every way and yet it still gets an 8.75?

Here are some sales figures for Pikmin: 636,316 copies in the U.S. 502,996 copies in Japan. For Pikmin 2: 381,565 copies in Japan (April 2004 release).

Bebpo

Banned
hmmm, Pikmin 2 is much more stressful than Pikmin 1 IMO.

In Pikmin 2 the majority of the game takes place in Caves where you cannot grow pikmin. Having to go through 10+ floors of enemies and puzzles without being able to gain a pikmin can be pretty tough. Besides the time limit, the actual gameplay parts of Pikmin was easy because if you lost of whole bunch of Pikmin then you just grab a flower and re-grow some.

Socreges

Banned
Difficulty precipitates 'stress'. Pikmin's time limit provided a challenge, though it made the game very interesting and rewarding. But I guess it didn't gell all that well with people considering the peaceful nature of the game.

I'm disappointed that they removed the time limit, but maybe I'll feel differently when I play the game. Sounds that way.

Top Bottom