• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 4 | Review Thread

Krathoon

I need to swap out my dock for my fancy pants Tears of the Kingdom one and charge up the controller.

Do you have to finish the demo first before copying over the save?

Slaylock

Surprising lack of interest on this board for a major Nintendo release that is reviewing well. Very little discussion and no OT.

But to be honest, I didn't have much interest, but the demo really sold me. I rarely buy games at release for full price, but a price drop may be months off anyway.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Surprising lack of interest on this board for a major Nintendo release that is reviewing well. Very little discussion and no OT.

But to be honest, I didn't have much interest, but the demo really sold me. I rarely buy games at release for full price, but a price drop may be months off anyway.
Months? at least a year+

Demo also sold me on it, have it d/l prob gonna game on Sunday.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
So cool that my demo save was moved right over and I just start the game where I left off on the demo.

Played for an hour or so last night continuing on from my demo save. The game feels great, and much more assessable than the previous entries in the series.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Incredible game. Have been playing it with my wife all day today. The quality of life improvements are very welcome too, and I love that there is no more an overarching countdown so I can explore to my heart’s content

Reactions: KU_

Umbasaborne

Banned

Im very interested, one of my most anticipated for this year. Excited to dive in tonight!

Sgt.Asher

Only zelda and mario get any traction here, and I'm not gonna be arsed to make any OT's.
There won't be a price drop ever, it's a first party Nintendo game.

Marvel14

Banned

Its not surprising if you've been around long enough. GAF is dominated by PlayStation and then Xbox. Nintendo is the kiddie second console with insulting graphics that occasionally gets a spotlight when a Mario or Zelda or Metroid release....everything else gets minimal love.

It's disappointing but that's how it goes...oh and Pikmin looks kiddie AF. Who cares if it's gameplay is amazing and unique? Mature gamers wouldn't be caught playing that infantile drivel.

#sarcasm.

This review is a case in point:

Dude thinks Pikmin should be a relaxing to do list and not a time and resource efficiency planning game. A bit like saying Mario should be a relaxing left to right runner not an accurate jump and land platformer.

Tell me the game's concept went way over your head without telling me.

(Sotto voce:
Pikmin 3 Deluxe is excellent...can't wait to get stuck into 4.)

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Rented this with gamefly. Going to play this as soon as it comes in the mail. Loved the series just didn't like the short time limit. I heard that the time limit is gone now.

spons

Gold Member
Rented this with gamefly. Going to play this as soon as it comes in the mail. Loved the series just didn't like the short time limit. I heard that the time limit is gone now.
There's still a time limit in terms of day/night, so you still have to gather your Pikmin and haul ass to your camp at the end of the day.

Also my dog drowned today.

I froze some water with Ice Pikmin, left Oatchi on the frozen lake. I called all Pikmin to me so the lake thawed out, and the pupper straight up drowned.

bender

What time is it?
Got 100% on the first world today. The Oatchi is such a wonderful addition and I love all the upgrades for both him and your gear. Nintendo does such a wonderful job of creating a sense of exploration and adventure in their games. This will probably dethrone Hi-Fi Rush as my favorite game this year.

bender

What time is it?
Nintendo is/will be on fire this year

Zelda TOTK
Pikmin 4
Mario Wonder
Super Mario RPG remake

All bangers/looking like bangers, great time to be a switch owner.

New WarioWare too.

EX7d.gif

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm enjoying this so much. More than 3.

I saw where Pikmin 1 + 2 also dropped digitally for Switch on Friday. Nice to see the old ones available.

Reactions: Isa

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
What if you were just sorta meh on the demo?

Felt simplistic and boring. First time playing a Pikmin game and I’m wondering what the fuss is about
You finish the full thing? The tutorial part of the game is trash, but later on in the game there is actual relatively difficult challenges for a Pikmin game. The first one is the most stripped down and basic and if you weren't fucking with the latest version with added features I'm not sure if it'll be worth it for you.

Half the appeal is the micromanagement and the second half would be the challenge later on. Maybe if you're still indecisive in the future and you see Pikmin 3 Deluxe on sale give that a go but definitely don't buy Pikmin 4 right now for full price if you didn't like the demo.

Bridges

The game is a pretty interesting evolution for Pikmin. It really feels like they knew that a new entry on Switch was their big chance to get the most eyes on it and they swung for the fences. I'm having a lot of fun so far.

I do miss the multi-tasking with multiple protagonists that Pikmin 3 had, but Oatchi rules and having player upgrades really helps keep things interesting.

The Switch continues to be a monster. If I were Nintendo I'd be scared to move on to new hardware.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Oatchi rules

Whenever I read 'Otachi' I think

d6xqnzp-74f88386-e142-441e-a2fd-ca6c226537df.gif

The game is a pretty interesting evolution for Pikmin. It really feels like they knew that a new entry on Switch was their big chance to get the most eyes on it and they swung for the fences. I'm having a lot of fun so far.

I do miss the multi-tasking with multiple protagonists that Pikmin 3 had, but Oatchi rules and having player upgrades really helps keep things interesting.

The Switch continues to be a monster. If I were Nintendo I'd be scared to move on to new hardware.
You can control oatchi as well and get some dandoriful multitasking goin
I'll be playing, she likes to watch me play games.
Nah, nothing too spoopy. Everything's kinda cute

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Game has so much variety of gameplay, Dandori battles multi-task, Night time tower defense, Regular pikmin, Chill in the caves.

Tho I do have to use Oachi smell the treasure to find them all, some are burried in the sand and I really don't remember where I've been.

Game has so much variety of gameplay, Dandori battles multi-task, Night time tower defense, Regular pikmin, Chill in the caves.

Tho I do have to use Oachi smell the treasure to find them all, some are burried in the sand and I really don't remember where I've been.
There's some treasures you can only find by way of oatchi nose

Im actually very impressed with this games visuals. I play Switch exclusively in handheld and this holds up extremely well. Looks a lot better than Pikmin 3. The animation quality is amazing and theyve improved lighting and textures. Iq isnt as good as Luigis Mansion but its better than something like Xenoblade 3. Its one of the best games on Switch graphically and gameplay.

I also miss the multitasking aspect of Pikmin 3. Makes the game feel a bit too easy perhaps. Im still early in the game tho.

You finish the full thing? The tutorial part of the game is trash, but later on in the game there is actual relatively difficult challenges for a Pikmin game. The first one is the most stripped down and basic and if you weren't fucking with the latest version with added features I'm not sure if it'll be worth it for you.

Half the appeal is the micromanagement and the second half would be the challenge later on. Maybe if you're still indecisive in the future and you see Pikmin 3 Deluxe on sale give that a go but definitely don't buy Pikmin 4 right now for full price if you didn't like the demo.

Didn’t finish the full demo until now and I see what you mean

It got a lot better, now I just wonder if it’s worth the $60 price tag.

How long is this? It’s definitely a quirky and fun game so far but that price has me on the fence

Yoshi97

Didn’t finish the full demo until now and I see what you mean

It got a lot better, now I just wonder if it’s worth the $60 price tag.

How long is this? It’s definitely a quirky and fun game so far but that price has me on the fence
I'd probably say 25 hours to beat, 40 hours to 100%, there is a ton of content here, and it's very varied.

Quite far through this game now and I love it. 100%ed the first 3 areas and just having a great time

I think I kind of had zero expectations because while I like pikmin games I just wasn't really asking for or hyped about another one. I just picked it up cuz I'm like "well it's nintendo so it's probly good." I'd say confidently this is the best pikmin and it has a lot of great stuff in it. I really enjoy the danbori challenge, not the one where you race an opponent but the one where you have to collect all treasure in a time limit to get the platinum award, it's like a really good puzzle where you gotta figure out ways to keep shaving time off to get the perfect score.

Areas look great too. I love the beach area and the indoor area

After the demo I just had to pick this up. Never played a Pikmin game before but this game just oozes that unique Nintendo experience you can’t find elsewhere and combines it with their well known charm

Such a cozy fun summer game. Nintendo is quietly having a very good year…never thought I’d actually like Pikmin, so demos clearly do work

I love that I can play this at a leisurely pace too, so booting it up doesn’t seem daunting. Perfect game to play while waiting for Starfield

This makes me want an upgraded Switch 2 so badly. This game would be gorgeous with HDR, 60 fps, and higher resolution with better AA!

Last edited:

Impotaku

Hey am I crazy or is the post game content where Olimar tells you stories effectively a modern remake of the entire first game included for free as a bonus like its no big deal?
Pretty much and once you do that another piece of fun content unlocks in the hub, the game has a lot to do.

My only complaint is there's no new game+ the problem been once you have upgraded everything there's nothing to really use it on besides the dandori challenges as the enemies in the main levels don't respawn so by the time you have unlocked everything there's nothing to use it on. Oatchi is fully maxed as is my gear and i was itching to blaze through & destroy eveything in super efficient time but nope. At about 34 hours now and still the last challenge to complete.

Last edited:
Top Bottom