• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar Considering “Finding Nemo” & “The Incredibles” Sequels

Draugoth

Gold Member
image_1c6a9b5d.jpeg

Source

Pixar is reportedly considering rebooting The Incredibles and Finding Nemo as the animatiion studio leans further into popular franchises. Bloomberg published a report on the state of Pixar as Inside Out 2 draws closer. In their account, they revealed that the famed animation house is considering rebooting or revisiting a bunch of their storied successes in a hope to bank on existing fans. The Incredibles and Finding Nemo were the kind of massive successes that immediately paid dividends at the Disney Parks and with merchandise. With so much restructuring going on at the company, CEO Bob Iger and management are looking for wins where they can find them.

jason10mm

Gold Member
As theatrical releases I think this is foolish, but The Incredibles at least, with a clear vision of the story, could work as a D+ series. Not sure Nemo has more stories to teel though.

Pixar seems to be losing the plot though, their success is telling a uniquely HUMAN story through the lens of a fantastical element (toys, fish, cars, bugs, etc). It was NEVER about the Fantastic element itself. But I do think Pixar struggles the closer to a human reality they show because their human aesthetic has been endlessly riffed on by Disney and other studios, making those films less distinct.

But I don't think Pixar is interested in broad appeal family stories anymore, they seem to be zeroing in on very niche experiences and the box office is suffering for it.

kunonabi

I wonder how they'll reset the incredibles again so that we don't get to see the whole family working together for the bulk of movie.

God the second one was such a letdown.

Edit: oh it might actually be a reboot, just brilliant.

Last edited:

eerik9000

Oh how the mighty have fallen.
That happened 18 years ago. "Up" was the last one that was greenlit before the acquisition and then Diznee turned them into a sequel and direct-to-video factory. I still believe they have the capability to come up with something great once every five years or so, but given how much Michael Mouse turned up the production rate, that is about 10% of their feature film output. The worst thing is that the other 90% isn't just unnecessary and unimaginative fluff, but sometimes even outright repulsive garbage like The Good Dinosaur, Onward, or Elemental.

Lambogenie

Why?

Incredibles aren't that memorable, just make a new family loosely connected.

Finding Nemo should just be an animated series like Tangled, but maybe skew down for a more Bluey approach. It's bloody fish. It should've been milked a long time ago.

TransTrender

Gold Member
The gaps between the Nemo and Incredibles sequels were over a decade so going back to the trough this soon looks like desperation.
Also Incredibles 2 was quite shit so I can only hope the brand is damaged.
The article also mentions reboots so we all know how that will go.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
oh pixar can not make a good movie without John Lasseter. All they had to do was ignore a few unwanted hugs and harmless touching. 🤷‍♂️

Mossybrew

Gold Member
Meh. I'd probably watch another Incredibles, I thought the second one was actually pretty good. Don't give a fuck about Nemo though.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
PIXAR movies produced AFTER Disney bought Pixar......:messenger_grimmacing_

June 18, 2010Toy Story 3Lee UnkrichJohn Lasseter, Andrew Stanton & UnkrichMichael ArndtDarla K. AndersonRandy Newman
June 24, 2011Cars 2John Lasseter

Co-directed by:
Brad Lewis
Dan Fogelman, Lasseter & LewisBen QueenDenise ReamMichael Giacchino
June 22, 2012BraveMark Andrews & Brenda Chapman

Co-directed by:
Steve Purcell
ChapmanAndrews, Chapman, Irene Mecchi & PurcellKatherine SarafianPatrick Doyle
June 21, 2013Monsters UniversityDan ScanlonRobert L. Baird, Dan Gerson & ScanlonKori RaeRandy Newman
June 19, 2015Inside OutPete Docter

Co-directed by:
Ronnie del Carmen
del Carmen & DocterJosh Cooley, Docter & Meg LeFauveJonas RiveraMichael Giacchino
November 25, 2015The Good DinosaurPeter SohnErik Benson, Meg LeFauve, Kelsey Mann, Bob Peterson & SohnLeFauveDenise ReamJeff & Mychael Danna
June 17, 2016Finding DoryAndrew Stanton

Co-directed by:
Angus MacLane
StantonStanton & Victoria StrouseLindsey CollinsThomas Newman
June 16, 2017Cars 3Brian FeeFee, Eyal Podell, Ben Queen & Jonathan E. StewartKiel Murray, Bob Peterson & Mike RichKevin ReherRandy Newman
November 22, 2017CocoLee Unkrich

Co-directed by:
Adrian Molina
Matthew Aldrich, Jason Katz, Molina & UnkrichAldrich & MolinaDarla K. AndersonMichael Giacchino[a]
June 15, 2018Incredibles 2Brad BirdNicole Paradis Grindle & John WalkerMichael Giacchino
June 21, 2019Toy Story 4Josh CooleyCooley, Stephany Folsom, Martin Hynes, Rashida Jones, Valerie LaPointe, John Lasseter, Will McCormack & Andrew StantonFolsom & StantonMark Nielsen & Jonas RiveraRandy Newman
March 6, 2020OnwardDan ScanlonKeith Bunin, Jason Headley & ScanlonKori RaeJeff & Mychael Danna
December 25, 2020SoulPete Docter

Co-directed by:
Kemp Powers
Docter, Mike Jones & PowersDana MurrayTrent Reznor & Atticus Rosshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pixar_films#cite_note-overview2-3
June 18, 2021LucaEnrico CasarosaJesse Andrews, Casarosa & Simon StephensonAndrews & Mike JonesAndrea WarrenDan Romer
March 11, 2022Turning RedDomee ShiJulia Cho, Shi & Sarah StreicherCho & ShiLindsey CollinsLudwig Göransson[c]
June 17, 2022LightyearAngus MacLaneMatthew Aldrich, Jason Headley & MacLaneHeadley & MacLaneGalyn SusmanMichael Giacchino
June 16, 2023ElementalPeter SohnJohn Hoberg, Kat Likkel, Brenda Hsueh & SohnHoberg, Likkel & HsuehDenise ReamThomas Newman

Last edited:

Fbh

Because no one cares about their new stuff and they seemingly have no one left that can come up with good ideas.
So they do what all creatively bankrupt companies do: double down on existing IP and nostalgia.

Pixar used to make fun movies with all sorts of creative ideas and themes.
Their last 4 movies are a boring spinoff (Lightyear) and a bunch of movies with shared themes about immigration and multiculturalism (Luca, Turning Red and Elemental)

Their last good movie IMO was Coco....7 years ago.

MrMephistoX

I wonder how much John Lasseter’s Me Too firing cost Disney creatively and financially at this point? Not that he was able to resist sequels but every film from Princess and the Frog through Moana and Zootopia was great and every film made since then has sucked. Pixar has been hit or miss but Onward, Soul and Elemental were at least unique.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Disney wants finding Nemo and incredible to be cornerstones, those movies were key in the 2000s and 2010s.

That happened 18 years ago. "Up" was the last one that was greenlit before the acquisition and then Diznee turned them into a sequel and direct-to-video factory. I still believe they have the capability to come up with something great once every five years or so, but given how much Michael Mouse turned up the production rate, that is about 10% of their feature film output. The worst thing is that the other 90% isn't just unnecessary and unimaginative fluff, but sometimes even outright repulsive garbage like The Good Dinosaur, Onward, or Elemental.

Don't forget Turning Red which was inappropriate in its subject matter aimed at kids

Top Bottom