• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plan to send probe to Alpha Centauri w/ Stephen Hawking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronx-Man

Banned
https://twitter.com/b0yle/status/719923250403287040

Cf2uYYJUAAAza--.jpg
Marvel presents: Ant-Man in SPACE

Sounds interesting. Using size as a way to tackle the speed problems. It's obviously the way to do it but most of our thinking is spent on getting people places. Micro bots? Now we're talking realistically.

RedShift

What would it take to break the speed of light? I'd like to get somewhere now instead of hundreds of light years.

Due to time dilation if you get close enough to the speed of light any journey can seem arbitrarily short no matter how far (though you might run into limits due to there not being enough energy in the universe to get you to that speed)

Alternatively find a way to make negative mass/energy. Then you can create an Alcubierre (sp?) Drive that warps space in a way that allows you to slide yourself through space like a zipper faster than light (note: negative mass may be impossible)

JohnsonUT

Any communication would take 4.5 years to make it back. Would we be able to actually read any signal that is sent back?

Due to time dilation if you get close enough to the speed of light any journey can seem arbitrarily short no matter how far (though you might run into limits due to there not being enough energy in the universe to get you to that speed)

Alternatively find a way to make negative mass/energy. Then you can create an Alcubierre (sp?) Drive that warps space in a way that allows you to slide yourself through space like a zipper faster than light (note: negative mass may be impossible)

Man, I think our biggest accomplishment (for future generations aeons ahead) would be if we can overcome the difficulty of 1 light year. But even then, it's still a whole year, and most things that would be habitable to use are at least 100 or more light years ...

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Man, first thing popped into my head was a comedically large "PLUOM!" accompanied by a picture of Stephen Hawking's face skin jiggling while being fucking blasted into hyper space.

Sounds awesome tho

Kettch

Do they plan to send only one?

Here's the ambitious plan:

Deployed by the thousands from a mothership launched into Earth orbit, each nanocraft would unfurl a sail and catch a laser pulse to accelerate to 20 percent the speed of light—some 60,000 kilometers per second. Using a sophisticated adaptive-optics system of deformable mirrors to keep each pulse coherent and sharp against the blurring effects of the atmosphere, the laser array would boost perhaps one orbiting nanocraft per day.

Cant wait for the advanced civilization there that finds it to trace its point of origin back to earth. It will explain the strange light patterns they have detected from our planet they have been observing. Then its hostile takeover time.

qcf x2

Ok so 22 yrs to get there, then what? I don't care about it getting there, I care about seeing pics vids and snaps. How long is it gonna take to actually see what's there?

Also, I know space is vast and all that, but with all that distance what are the odds that these things don't run into other things?

Any communication would take 4.5 years to make it back. Would we be able to actually read any signal that is sent back?

Just launch it and then we'll start wondering how to receive the signals. Plenty of time!

Really cool idea, but the gigaWatt laser part gave me a "what could possibly go wrong" vibe.

Estimating that the project could cost $5 billion to $10 billion, Mr. Milner is initially investing $100 million for research and development.

Ouch, that's a lot.

cacildo

Theres one Seinfeld joke about the sea...

He says we make a lot of effort to get to the sea.
We plan the vacation, pack our bags, drive for hundreds of miles, stay somewhere...

All of this and when we get to the sea... the sea actually dosent want us there

We enter the sea, the sea pushes us back, go away!

Im telling this story because i always think that the sea dosent want us there, but the space downright hates us

Space is really the one saying "dont come over, we hate you here, we dont even have air. Go away"

Here's the ambitious plan:

Ah yes. Thank you

sullytao

What if thise tiny things hut something in outer space? I think it is a risk, but I'm excited by the idea.
I imagine we would have some very pissed off aliens giving us a very firm talking too about watching where we are going with the shit we send out.

Wray

I wish I lived long enough to get to see all the discoveries humanity will make regarding the universe. Would be great to be alive during the First contact.

Don't worry. By the time these probes actually got there, the average human life expectancy would likely be pushing 200 or older by then.

I also thought they were putting Hawking on the spaceship, OP!

So how long would it take for this probe to reach this nearby star at 20% light speed?

The light from Alpha Centurai takes about 4 years to reach us, so this would be just over 20 years.

I recently found out that the North Star, Polaris, is 433 light years away from Earth. So that means when you see the brightest star in the sky, the light you're seeing is from 1583. This is amazing, but it absolutely boggles my mind. If they were going to try and send a probe there with this current technology it would take about 2200 years.

Showaddy

So what are they going to do with the gigantic laser cannon/array when it's not firing miniature probes into other solar systems?

Goo

Awesome idea. If it works I hope they do this on a massive scale towards all directions. I wonder how they will power such a small transmitter to communicate from so far away?

Wray

Also, I know space is vast and all that, but with all that distance what are the odds that these things don't run into other things?

Extremely unlikely, especially when u consider the bulk of the journey would be through interstellar space, which is alot less cluttered than our own solar system.

besada

Banned
So what are they going to do with the gigantic laser cannon/array when it's not firing miniature probes into other solar systems?

They could use it to provide motive power for a variety of inner-system craft using similar technology.

Ovid

I hope we're able to experience the fruits of their labor.

Not a person currently living on this planet will :(

Chris R

So brave of Professor Hawking to spend the last years of his life inside a probe being accelerated to relativistic speeds.

Like the scattershot approach though, send a shitload of them and hope that one makes it without failing in the 20 years it takes for them to get there, then you just need to wait 3+ years to hear back from it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom