• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma/TV help advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad got a letter in the post from a company offering to take his 42" plasma off his hands, and give him a new one if he subscribes to their coverplan for £19.99 a month (18 months = £359.82)... the page with the offer is http://www.totalcaresupport.com/offer/offer.html

Ignore the price / delivery charge, because this particular variation on the offer involves us giving them our old TV (I assume they repurpose parts or something). In any case, I don't like what I'm reading. The page has a few typos, and I'm unsure of the spec -- which is what I want you guys to help with.

The spec is available in a more readable format here - http://homecinema.timecomputers.com/tv_specification/omega/18064/37104/

We already have a 5 year old 42" plasma TV... which is also a third party manufactured TV using a Samsung panel. I don't have a clue what the contrast ratio is, so is 10,000:1 any good? Also this is one of those TVs they're advertising as HD ready that only goes upto 1080i / 720p. And the native resolution... is it me or are they deliberately setting out to contradict themselves and confuse people?

Specification
Screen Type - 42" XGA Samsung Plasma, HD READY with HDMI
Dimensions / Weight - 105cm x 64cm x 8.5cm External (without stand & speakers); 30KG
TV Tuner - Built-in with 99 channels and 42 Key Remote Controls
On Screen Display - Graphical OSD; 10,000:1 Contrast; 1500 cd/m2 Brightness
Viewing Aspects - 16:9 Widescreen; 1.85:1, 2.35:1 and Picture in Picture
Desktop Stand - Includes desktop stand for table top installation
Wall Mountable - Wall mount bracket Included
Speakers - Detachable Stereo Speakers with Ni-Cam Stereo
Pixel Resolution - VXGA 1024 x 768 with 3072x768 Display Cells; 1080i/720p HD Ready
Connectivity - HDMI, Component, SCART, Analogue A/V, PC, SKY HD Box Ready

HD TV Compatible
-HDCP (High Definition Content Protocol)
-HDMI . High Definition Multimedia Interface (DVI compatible) digital video and audio input
-1080i / 720p HD signal compatible
-852 X 480 pixel resolution

I don't want my dad to get screwed here. He's already paid but I know theres a 14 day cooling period and I want him to get his money back if the TV is a shit deal.

For an idea of UK Plasma / LCD prices check http://www.play.com

Also my dad thinks the size of the thing is pretty important, but I'm trying to put the argument across that a better picture / lifespan is the more important thing. Any help is of course appreciated. Thanks!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The specs are somewhat confusing. The two bits that you highlighted are what I'm speaking of. It seems to me, however, that it really is a 852 X 480 plasma. If that is indeed the case, I would not recommend it. The fact that it is some random off-brand is another reason I wouldn't consider it.

What are you currently using (model number)? If your current plasma is 5 years old, perhaps it might be worth considering. Plasma technology has improved greatly over the years. A 5 year old plasma is going to produce terrible results next to modern displays.

lil smoke

Banned
My other hangout, AVS forums, is a great resource for these types of issues. You'll find more info than you need on any particular set, and from people who know what they're talking about.

I'm pretty sure our old plasma TV's native resolution is 856x480... which is probably why the Wii doesn't look terrible on it. Its been a sturdy TV thats served us well, but I don't wanna see my dad shell out money for much the same thing.

I've made a similar post at AVS forums now, cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom