• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum's Hideki Kamiya says he wants to make Okami 2, Viewtiful Joe 3, and many other franchise sequels

Bullet Club

Banned
Platinum's Hideki Kamiya says he wants to make Okami 2, Viewtiful Joe 3, and many other franchise sequels

Capcom, please understand

ODAUYlB.jpg

Hideki Kamiya was part of a Platinum Games panel at PAX East, and he had the chance to answer some fan questions. Kamiya was asked if he'd like to return to older IPs for new entries, with Okami 2 and Scalebound specifically mentioned. Here's what Kamiya had to say.

"Okami 2.. Scalebound.. Viewtiful Joe 3.. Dante VS Bayonetta.. Devil May Cry 0.. I want to make everything! ..please email Capcom"

Kamiya's interest is there, but many of these projects can't go on without Capcom's blessing. Let's hope people take Kamiya's advice and email Capcom!

Source: Go Nintendo

I would like Viewtiful Joe 3 as well. Come on Capcom, let him do it!

lmao they wanna make everything, yet how many games have they released this gen? I think ps4/xbox gen they only released one game this gen, Babylon was suppose to release 2019.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
lmao they wanna make everything, yet how many games have they released this gen? I think ps4/xbox gen they only released one game this gen, Babylon was suppose to release 2019.
What!? This gen they released NieR Automata and Astral Chain.

What!? This gen they released NieR Automata and Astral Chain.

I said xbox/ps4 gen which has gone on for close to 7 years. regardless 2 games is not much in 7 years when they are talking about making 5 different games now. bayo 3, scalebound, and Babylon were announced 3-4 years ago, and nothing has been shown, now they are talking about making all these games, it's kind of laughable.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I said xbox/ps4 gen which has gone on for close to 7 years. regardless 2 games is not much in 7 years when they are talking about making 5 different games now. bayo 3, scalebound, and Babylon were announced 3-4 years ago, and nothing has been shown, now they are talking about making all these games, it's kind of laughable.
I don’t care, as long as they keep releasing quality games I care about then I’m happy and soon we are getting Wonderful 101 remaster which I’m super hyped, I loved the game on my originally released on WiiU.

Eevee86

Let him make a sequel to Okami, Capcom. Not like you're doing anything with the IP other than releasing the first game on every new system.

ahmyleg

Banned
Even after almost 20 years...I still don't feel like I've gotten a true sequel to the original Devil May Cry...

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Let him make a sequel to Okami, Capcom. Not like you're doing anything with the IP other than releasing the first game on every new system.
Why should they? People keep buying their remakes.

donfonzie

Games take a lot of time to make. Unless it's an annual series like COD, 2 great games in 7 years is pretty respectable.

Secondly, Kamiya just said that he would be very interested in making fan requested sequels or new IPs if he gets the greenlight from Capcom. That does not mean he's saying they are making all these games at the same time.

Games take a lot of time to make. Unless it's an annual series like COD, 2 great games in 7 years is pretty respectable.

Secondly, Kamiya just said that he would be very interested in making fan requested sequels or new IPs if he gets the greenlight from Capcom. That does not mean he's saying they are making all these games at the same time.

from 2009 to 2016 they released about 10 games lastgen. honestly there games graphically look like prettier lastgen game, and usually 12-20 hours games, no real reason for such a low output this gen considering the hardware they have to work with. main point they have gg, babylon, 1 more game announcement and bayonetta 3. focus on that.

Last edited:

donfonzie

You're right they have a few games on thier plate; they should finish them off first. Quality is always better than quantity. I think he was being hypothetical.

Personally, I would love to see a new Viewtiful Joe or Dante vs. Bayonetta on the new consoles.

Blond

Banned
What I don't get is why with all of the creative freedom he has why doesn't he just make "spiritual sequels" to all of those games without having to worry about Capcom breathing down his neck.

Maybe because dev times as grown x10 folds since the ps2 days and the fact that you cant just put out any type of game now. Most gamers dont value gameplay at all now a days so good luck trying to get these games to sell in the million+range before they can even be warned a sequel.

from 2009 to 2016 they released about 10 games lastgen. honestly there games graphically look like prettier lastgen game, and usually 12-20 hours games, no real reason for such a low output this gen considering the hardware they have to work with. main point they have gg, babylon, 1 more game announcement and bayonetta 3. focus on that.
Again last gen devs times were way shorter you rember how the AA market was alive and kicking for the past 30+ years before this gen. The AA market this gen is dead and the fact that gamers now fall into the OMG GRAPHCIS catatoru or the fad gamer type that only plays new stuff with simple plots. The AA market has to very strategically plan stuff out now last gen suda51 and platnum could put out a game sale only 100K copies and be happy and turn a profit. With how things are now good luck.

Again last gen devs times were way shorter you rember how the AA market was alive and kicking for the past 30+ years before this gen. The AA market this gen is dead and the fact that gamers now fall into the OMG GRAPHCIS catatoru or the fad gamer type that only plays new stuff with simple plots. The AA market has to very strategically plan stuff out now last gen suda51 and platnum could put out a game sale only 100K copies and be happy and turn a profit. With how things are now good luck.

platinum games like i said before look like refined lastgen games. they have no excuse. Besides gamers this gen are buying games like DMC, nioh, and sekiro more then ever before.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Capcom, please understand

ODAUYlB.jpg

Hideki Kamiya was part of a Platinum Games panel at PAX East, and he had the chance to answer some fan questions. Kamiya was asked if he'd like to return to older IPs for new entries, with Okami 2 and Scalebound specifically mentioned. Here's what Kamiya had to say.

"Okami 2.. Scalebound.. Viewtiful Joe 3.. Dante VS Bayonetta.. Devil May Cry 0.. I want to make everything! ..please email Capcom"

Kamiya's interest is there, but many of these projects can't go on without Capcom's blessing. Let's hope people take Kamiya's advice and email Capcom!

Source: Go Nintendo

I would like Viewtiful Joe 3 as well. Come on Capcom, let him do it!

With all the interesting stuff in that panel, this is what they make an article about?

Kamiya-san was obviously joking. This is his panel equivalent of "Next week... in game magazines"

Literally nothing to see here besides "Hideki Kamiya actually has a sense of humor."

I was there. He was asked about it and he said he would like to do it but it's not happening anytime soon. More wishful thinking from people

abcdrstuv

Banned
I’m surprised there’s never been a Viewtiful Joe repaint - I guess it would be so much work to redo the art for HD/4K it would be virtually a new game

Top Bottom