• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami reveals he has no interest in working with the Resident Evil franchise again

Draugoth

Gold Member
GBoLY49bQAAhAOF

Shinji Mikami is currently not involved with any specific studio or game, but fans would love to see him back at Capcom working on Resident Evil.

However, unfortunately this may not happen, as Shinji Mikami himself said in the talk that he has no interest in working with the Resident Evil franchise again.

- Kamiya-san was very nervous to be on stage with Mikami-san and respects him a lot.
- Kamiya said Mikami taught him all he knows.
- Mikami is not interested in working on the Resident Evil series again.
- Kamiya still hoped that DMC1 would have remained a Resident Evil game lol. But he said the change helped him to come up with new concepts that went into the game.
- Kamiya wants to make Viewtiful Joe 3- Mikami and Kamiya would like to see a new Okami game.- Kamiya failed at RE1.5 but Mikami still gave him another chance and let him direct RE2 which was a key point in his career.
- Mikami said PN03 took about half a year to make and God Hand took about 1 year to make.
- They didn’t mention Dino Crisis at all.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Series is doing fine without him. I'd still like one more from him, just for good old times sake. Or Dino Crisis of course.

But if I'm honest... I doubt he'll do any more games. Maybe it's for the better. I mean, everyone cheered when Suzuki got one more shot at Shenmue and look what he done with it...

3rd person RE have been awesome again since RE2 Remake. Now if they just manage to make totally new entires just as good... Guess the next one will tell.

PanzerCute

I want Mikami to do his dream game, or at least some game he REALLY wants to do.

Like the game he pitched to Sega, which was declined in favor of Vanquish. You can feel he was very disappointed by this and, weirdly enough, that makes him disregard Vanquish completely (still the best TPS ever imo)

Let him make what he wants to, as it is we don't get design directors like him in the industry everyday.

RE is in a fine place with the current multiple teams at Capcom.

Moses85

Why should he? He made Resident Evil 4, which hasn't been topped.
i'm out george costanza GIF by simongibson2000'm out george costanza GIF by simongibson2000
I am wondering he still has his head on his Body.

Resident Evil 4 was released as a GameCube exclusive. And when Capcom ported the game to the PlayStation 2, Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami is quoted as saying he would "cut [his] own head off". That infamous quote was probably a mistranslation. But there's a reason why Mikami seemed so antagonistic towards Sony. What's more, there's a reason why the game didn't end up first on the original Xbox, instead.

Chappelles Show Lol GIF

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
He's pretty overrated as a producer IMO

Loved P.N.03 and Vanquish but those almost felt like flukes

I'm really not a fan of 90% the work he's most known for

The only RE games that I like he had nothing to do with (5 and 6)

MacReady13

Resident Evil is my all time favorite franchise and I love what he contributed but the series is doing just fine without him. Would rather see him do something new.
I actually think the opposite to be fair- 5 and 6 were not great games in trying to mimic what 4 did. 7 was a great 1st half of a game and shocking 2nd half. 8 was a real mixed bag. Remake of 2 and (obviously) 4 took all inspiration from part 4 and ran with it! I'd love for him to do a proper sequel to Resi 4.

Mister Wolf

7 and 8 are great. They don't need him. DMC doesn't need Kamiya neither. Neither of these guys have made anything of merit in a very long time.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I mean nobody is really asking for Mikami to work on Resident Evil again, he had his shot at competing with Evil Within but it didn't worked out.

The team found inspiration with RE7 and Rev2 thankfully the series is in good hands

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That's fine, he's already invented / reinvented the franchise 3 times. Mikami can't keep being Capcom's "break glass in case of emergency", new/younger developers need to take the reigns.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

They are has-beens as game directors.
Not so sure,even today,RE4R owes a lot to Mikami's vision ,RE7 was also inspired by the Remake of 1 along first person horror games.

Kamiya never had a chance to stick with DMC beyond one title but he laid the groundwork for future sequels and games inspired by it(like GoW)

Both amazing guys 👏 (although they had trouble after leaving Capcom of course)

RaduN

I actually think the opposite to be fair- 5 and 6 were not great games in trying to mimic what 4 did. 7 was a great 1st half of a game and shocking 2nd half. 8 was a real mixed bag. Remake of 2 and (obviously) 4 took all inspiration from part 4 and ran with it! I'd love for him to do a proper sequel to Resi 4.
100% this ^

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Huh, it's interesting that everyone want a new Okami, but Capcom didn't do anything with it lol
Why should they? Okami didn’t perform well so it doesn’t make sense to invest in another one. We had numerous examples of games where “everyone “ wanted a sequel and then when it finally got made bombed you as much as the first one did - just look st Alan Wake 2.

NanaMiku

Why should they? Okami didn’t perform well so it doesn’t make sense to invest in another one. We had numerous examples of games where “everyone “ wanted a sequel and then when it finally got made bombed you as much as the first one did - just look st Alan Wake 2.
What I meant is many ex-Capcom people said they want to make a new Okami. Capcom also has ported the game several times. I don't know the sales of the port

Sounds like they want to work for Capcom again or maybe that's just how the questions were posed.

They're an interesting two, who both seem difficult to work with/manage.

I hope they do another talk to discuss what’s next. Judging by the description it feels like this talk was more about discussing the past, which is fine because it’s important that they answer questions fans have had for years about their old stuff.

Good, I don't know why gamers are so eager to chain developers to series. Same thing with Kojima, if he was forced to make another Metal Gear game he would probably shoot himself.
Fully agreed. I think part of it is nostalgia and the other part involves people wanting to relive their childhood. Putting Kojima back with Konami, making Mikami and Kamiya go back to Capcom, or even something like wanting Sakaguchi to return to Square Enix.

You can tell that it all has that sad feeling of ‘if we do this, things can go back to the way they were’ like a kid trying to make divorced parents get back together.

Neither of these guys have made anything of merit in a very long time.
Good. Resident Evil is worthless nowadays
The GAF bubble strikes again lol.

Top Bottom