• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 2 Four-Volume History Book Announced by Geeks-Line Publishing

kyoya

Geeks-Line Publishing launched their Kickstarter last week for a four-volume history book on the PS2 that will be released Winter of 2024.

From the Kickstarter:
This limited, numbered boxed set of the PlayStation 2 Tetralogy pays tribute to the best-selling game console of all time. From its genesis to the end of its commercial run, from its incredible history to its various collector and non-collector models, from its revolutionary architecture and Emotion Engine to its most original accessories and reviews of its library of over 4,420 unique games, the PlayStation 2 Tetralogy is the world's most accomplished series of books chronicling this legendary console.

Each volume will have specific dust jacket artwork:
PS2 Anthology Vol.1 - God of War Dust Cover
PS2 Anthology. Vol.2 - Okami Dust Cover
PS2 Anthology. Vol.3 - Prince of Persia Dust Cover
PS2 Anthology. Vol.4 - FFX Dust Cover

You can learn more about the Kickstater campaign here.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Good choices. I'd go:

Vice City, MGS2 or Snake Eater, Ico or Shadow of the Colossus, Silent Hill 2 (thought hat probably makes it Konami heavy).
MGS3
FFX
GTA San An
Shadow

That’s my choice.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I was tempted for a minute, as I have all of their previous anthologies. But I can’t find more room for this. 4 books is just too much.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'd say the love for Sands of Time outweighs Ratchet, Jak or Sly.
Yea but it was literally released for everything. Ratchet would be a better pick because it was exclusive and the PS2 started the franchise that still has new games being released now.

bender

What time is it?
Yea but it was literally released for everything. Ratchet would be a better pick because it was exclusive and the PS2 started the franchise that still has new games being released now.

Most of my picks went to other platforms too. And from a stylistic standpoint, I'd go with Sly over Sony's other mascot platformers. Also why I picked GTA:VC over GTA:SA even though the latter is my favorite in the series.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This looks pretty cool, and the PS2 remains one of my favorite systems to go back and play today.

I assume that by Winter 2024, they mean the end of this year... right?

kyoya

I was tempted for a minute, as I have all of their previous anthologies. But I can’t find more room for this. 4 books is just too much.
New shelves are crucial in this era, c'mon you have to get another shelf. Something above your door, a do-it-yourself install?

giphy-1.gif

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
New shelves are crucial in this era, c'mon you have to get another shelf. Something above your door, a do-it-yourself install?
If anything, I have to get rid of a few books.
When I move again, I’ll need a truck just for all the paper I have in the house.

I haven’t even finished reading all their previous books, anyway. Even skimming through the game reviews and skipping those about the most obscure and uninteresting games, a console’s library still has hundreds of games. And these books go very in-depth about hardware technicalities.

Just a heads-up for anyone interested. These books are originally written in French, and the English translation is usually a bit sketchy.
I’m not as fluent in French as I am in English so I’ve bought most of them in English, but there’s times the translation does feel a bit off.

If anything, I have to get rid of a few books.
When I move again, I’ll need a truck just for all the paper I have in the house.

I haven’t even finished reading all their previous books, anyway. Even skimming through the game reviews and skipping those about the most obscure and uninteresting games, a console’s library still has hundreds of games. And these books go very in-depth about hardware technicalities.

Just a heads-up for anyone interested. These books are originally written in French, and the English translation is usually a bit sketchy.
I’m not as fluent in French as I am in English so I’ve bought most of them in English, but there’s times the translation does feel a bit off.
Are these books any good for people who arent active collector of the hardware, "just" enthousiasts/fan of the console?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Are these books any good for people who arent active collector of the hardware, "just" enthousiasts/fan of the console?
These books completely cover a console’s history, from background and development to the end of its lifecycle.
They have plenty of photos of hardware, rare models, controllers, peripherals. There’s usually even a section about cancelled games and homebrew. There’s huge chapters dedicated to how the hardware is built and works. Plenty of stuff to get you interested even if you don’t care one bit about collecting.

These hooks also have full coverage of the entire system’s library, with snippet-size reviews and ratings so you can learn a bit about every game, even the most obscure ones. The biggest games get more space, but it’s very rare that a full page is dedicated to a single game. They wanted to keep it short. After all, the most indepth review can’t beat playing the game yourself.

kyoya

Who asked for this? Who needs this?

People who collect and play original PS2 games that want an in-depth look at a Sony system that made history around the world. If there's a game, accessory or version of the system you want from a certain country, this appears to be the ultimate reference material. I know I'll definitely be referring to it and then compiling a list for my next trip to Japan when I go to used game stores. There are games not even on PSN that I want to learn about from this book.

kyoya

Definitely, it will go back and look at its initial development and launch of the console. Cancelled games that the public was never able to play, and games from U.S., Europe, and Japan that you can learn about.

Top Bottom