• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5’s SSD ‘biggest thing’ to evolve Tekken 8 player experience, says Katsuhiro Harada

feynoob

Banned
Awesome, the loading times in Tekken have been brutal. They still looked pretty bad in the alpha tests so hopefully it’s improved a lot by launch
Long gone the days of waiting 2m for your game to load.
Dozed off so many times due to this.
Glad we won't suffer again.

FingerBang

Awesome, the loading times in Tekken have been brutal. They still looked pretty bad in the alpha tests so hopefully it’s improved a lot by launch
Agreed. People wanting moar graphics and playing down how great it is to have a fast SSD in modern consoles are always going to be funny to me.

Like, seriously, what else is going to impact gameplay as much as being able to basically not wait to get into the game?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Agreed. People wanting moar graphics and playing down how great it is to have a fast SSD in modern consoles are always going to be funny to me.

Like, seriously, what else is going to impact gameplay as much as being able to basically not wait to get into the game?
Maybe actually evolving the gameplay would impact the gameplay more?

ReBurn

Gold Member
Pr puff words.

That is like saying gtav and Skyrim benefit more from ssd rather than hard drive.

There is no need to mention ps5 ssd here.
If you experienced the loading times in Tekken 7 you would not be saying this.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
We heard you the first time

can-you-hear-me-how-ridiculous.gif

If you experienced the loading times in Tekken 7 you would not be saying this.
Been playing Tekken 7 on pc with ssds for years now. Never noticed any load times.

Last edited:

FingerBang

Maybe actually evolving the gameplay would impact the gameplay more?
That has nothing to do with the new hardware. We're talking about tech, and nothing impacts games this gen like a fast SSD.

I would say the jump to this gen has been worth it only because of the SSD, even with all the cross-gen crap.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com

That "site" sourced us but they pretty much copy and pasted what I wrote (word for word, even). Insane how some people (not you OP) think this is OK. I mean, all sites need pageviews and this essentially robs the people who worked for the news (me, the site) of pageviews. Just shitty to be honest.

I posted the same message in another thread that (thankfully) sourced us properly.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com

C'mon, man, at least link to the person who actually wrote and did the work. :(

That "site" sourced us but they pretty much copy and pasted what I wrote (word for word, even). Insane how some people (not you OP) think this is OK. I mean, all sites need pageviews and this essentially robs the people who worked for the news (me, the site) of pageviews. Just shitty to be honest.

I posted the same message in another thread that (thankfully) sourced us properly.

Game is gonna offer nearly identical performance on Xbox and PCs with fucking SATA SSDs and the secret sauce defense force will point to 0.5 second differences in loading times as evidence of PS5's technological superiority.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Dude, it's a fighting game. They have to load two characters and a single stage. You don't need secret sauce for that.
They did on Xbox One and PS4. Tekken 7 has a whole text menu to bypass the visual flair to try to make it not take a whole minute.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
No I do, just laughing at all these people acting like their equipment from 2015 is comparable.
Who are "all these people".....further
A PCIE3 SSD can hit 12GB/s part of the reason the XSX isnt completely being left in the dust is because of DirectStorage.
So yes, Gen3 SSDs with modern APIs is totally comparable.

images-3.png

If you upgrade to DirectStorage 1.2
Near 20GB/s is doable on an RTX30 GPU:

Last edited:

Unknown?

Who are "all these people".....further
A PCIE3 SSD can hit 12GB/s part of the reason the XSX isnt completely being left in the dust is because of DirectStorage.
So yes, Gen3 SSDs with modern APIs is totally comparable.

images-3.png

If you upgrade to DirectStorage 1.2
Near 30GB/s is doable on an RTX30 GPU:
p1LC2UA.png
Lol we're talking about the people saying welcome to 2015. Those speeds were not possible then.

They did on Xbox One and PS4. Tekken 7 has a whole text menu to bypass the visual flair to try to make it not take a whole minute.
Not sure if Tekken 7 the ideal example, considering even PCs with no SSD at all can still load that game faster than PS5.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I don't think you realize how ridiculous what you are saying is.
if you trhink faster loading affects gameplay then you are ridiculaous. it could take 3 years to load but the gameplay would be the same when it did.

Mr.Phoenix

if you trhink faster loading affects gameplay then you are ridiculaous. it could take 3 years to load but the gameplay would be the same when it did.
I never said faster loading affects gameplay....

I said what you are saying about evolving gameplay is ridiculous. Think about that.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Not sure if Tekken 7 the ideal example, considering even PCs with no SSD at all can still load that game faster than PS5.

If the article was about PC player experienceI might agree with you. But the article is about is about the PS5 SSD and what it's done for Tekken 8 on console. The natural comparison would be Tekken 7 on PS4 to measure the evolution. Putting an SSD in a base PS4 doesn't help user experience at all, but PS5 I/O designed for high throughput does. I don't understand trying to make this about PC.

Last edited:
If the article was about PC player experienceI might agree with you. But the article is about is about the PS5 SSD and what it's done for Tekken 8 on console. The natural comparison would be Tekken 7 on PS4 to measure the evolution. Putting an SSD in a base PS4 doesn't help user experience at all, but PS5 I/O designed for high throughput does. I don't understand trying to make this about PC.
The PC examples matter because they show that whatever loading issues Tekken had not just on PC but on any platform are almost certainly due to something other than simple hardware limitations. If the SSD speed or I/O on PS5 played a significant role in the reduction of loading times in this game than there is absolutely no way it would still take longer to load than on a PC with a regular HDD. That shit should not be happening in any situation ever where the hardware is the limiting factor.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
The PC examples matter because they show that whatever loading issues Tekken had not just on PC but on any platform are almost certainly due to something other than simple hardware limitations. If the SSD speed or I/O on PS5 played a significant role in the reduction of loading times in this game than there is absolutely no way it would still take longer to load than on a PC with a regular HDD. That shit should not be happening in any situation ever where the hardware is the limiting factor.
PC doesn't matter when you consider the state of console I/O generation over generation. The PS4 I/O was limited to SATA III as well as the speed of the RAM and data bus. Didn't matter how fast your drives were because the theoretical max for the drive was constrained by literally everything else.

Saying "well look at PC" is ridiculous on its face here because of the myriad PC configurations that don't have the I/O limitations of a PS4. If you test on a PC with faster RAM, wider data buses and faster storage than a base PS4 then of course things will be different. That's what makes using PC as some sort of standard here silly. It's more than just SSD and HDD in play. It's the difference in I/O between the consoles where the improvements show. Which is actually what the article is about.

Lasha

PC doesn't matter when you consider the state of console I/O generation over generation. The PS4 I/O was limited to SATA III as well as the speed of the RAM and data bus. Didn't matter how fast your drives were because the theoretical max for the drive was constrained by literally everything else.

Saying "well look at PC" is ridiculous on its face here because of the myriad PC configurations that don't have the I/O limitations of a PS4. If you test on a PC with faster RAM, wider data buses and faster storage than a base PS4 then of course things will be different. That's what makes using PC as some sort of standard here silly. It's more than just SSD and HDD in play. It's the difference in I/O between the consoles where the improvements show. Which is actually what the article is about.

Tekken 7's arcade hardware was a windows PC with a sata III HDD and pretty dated components yet loaded pretty quickly. PC players are mocking the quote because T7 has many areas for the player experience to improve that aren't load times. That SSD is being touted as the defining improvement does not bode well for changes to the game.

Last edited:

Neff

Glad they're promoting this as something they hope to show off. Waiting for matchups to load in T7 takes too long and ruins the arcade feeling.

Top Bottom