• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 outsells the SNES in after 3 years on the market.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Don’t make low effort console war bait threads.
https://n4g.com/news/2582141/ps5-outsells-snesSource:

Sony's latest video game console, the PlayStation 5,which is part of the ninth generation of video game consoles, has outsold the lifetime sales of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), according to VGChartz estimates.

The PS5 had sold an estimated 52.96 million units worldwide through December 2023, while the SNES sold 49.10 million units lifetime.

How does this news make you feel?

Could the PS5 end up overtaking other consoles in life time sales?

At what number do you think the PS5 will cap out?

Mr Moose

VGChartz?
tenor.gif

Should be able to pass PSOne fairly easily.

https://n4g.com/news/2582141/ps5-outsells-snesSource:

How does this news make you feel?

Could the PS5 end up overtaking other consoles in life time sales?

At what number do you think the PS5 will cap out?
I don't think the PS5 is going to overtake the PS4 in sales by the end of the generation.
Thats my armchair prediction.
PC, PC handhelds and VR helmets are going to eventually eat into locked down console market.

lordrand11

I'm surprised given the console has a fairly lackluster list of titles available for it 3 years in. On a side note, we've also got a larger amount of gamers than we ever had in the past too.

Now if we're talking quality games, the SNES had banger after banger in each genre, the PS5 has a very small handful of titles so far and very few have been bangers.

The gaming market is much much bigger now than it was in the early 90s.

You can thank Nintendo and the Wii for that.
Sony released two consoles that sold more than the Wii before the Wii was even released.

Besides this whole thread makes no sense because a lot of consoles sold more than the SNES, so I don't know why the PS5 in particular would be notable.

Chastten

Banned
Any console in 2024 that doesn't outsell the SNES would be a pretty big failure.

I mean, the market was tiny back then and gaming was expensive. The market is much bigger now and prices have come way down, making gaming much more accessible than it was in the 90's.

That being said, my guess is the PS5 will end up somewhere between 125-150 million, same as Switch. There is no reason the PS5 would stop selling suddenly. The PS5 is a hot item and doesn't have any noteworthy competition in the high tech segment of consoles.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The market was mostly hardcore gamers back then

Now its mostly NPC's they always buy the current thing

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Y’all truly need to find something better to do. Imagine being a human being and being upset over some corporation selling more widgets than some other widgets from 20 years ago.

doubt it outsells the switch which is a much better comparison since it’s not from fuckin 3 decades ago.
Switch had the huge advantage of peaking during covid years while PS4 was on its last year and PS5 was about to be released.

About surpassing Switch...who knows? All PS studios are working on PS5 games as we speak and the console will be selling until 2029 or something like that. It's already at over 50M since early december...i'm sure during this quarter it will reach 55M if not more, to surpass PS4 launch aligned.

Top Bottom