• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic unveils Yooka-Laylee (Banjo Kazooie successor) [Kickstarter LIVE - Funded]

Lynd7

Would have been nice if they let backers get the digital copies now instead of having to wait for the actual release.

Also, didn't realize the 64bit filter and orchestral music hasn't been finished. Seems like they should have delayed every version of the game.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
You should have got an email containing all the details.

Physical copies have been shipped and could arrive any day now.

X1 and PC backers will get digital codes this week.

PS4 backers will get it on april 10 simultaneously with Australia and New Zealand.

Related Kickstarter post

Apologies - i must have missed this somewhere down the line. I'll dig it out. Thanks!

Edit: Email came an hour ago, should have checked before posting! Weird that they say the orchestral soundtrack is being added post-release. Thought that would replace the regular soundtrack, not be an optional thing.

Thud

Would have been nice if they let backers get the digital copies now instead of having to wait for the actual release.

Also, didn't realize the 64bit filter and orchestral music hasn't been finished. Seems like they should have delayed every version of the game.

Then why does it say please don't stream before release if you can't play it yet.

Skyzard

Banned
Updates, and free dlc for kickstarter backers:

Today, the Playtonic team continues to work on updates that will further improve the performance of the game, and early birds should expect to see the first game update from today. Once release is out of the way, we’ll start planning a DLC add-on created exclusively free for our Kickstarter backers.

Thud

Apologies - i must have missed this somewhere down the line. I'll dig it out. Thanks!

Edit: Email came an hour ago, should have checked before posting! Weird that they say the orchestral soundtrack is being added post-release. Thought that would replace the regular soundtrack, not be an optional thing.

No problem.

I think Grant Kirkhope mentioned that he did some orchestral music for the title screen, but they decided the simple ukele was a beter fit.

Physical copies and I guess Steam and maybe XB1? I have a PS4 code so that doesn't help me.

From the email/update:

Digital Game Rewards for Steam, GOG and Xbox One will be sent out this week so that backers on those platforms can pre-load the game in time for release day. PS4 codes will be dispatched and immediately playable on Monday, April 10 in time for Yooka-Laylee’s first worldwide release in Australia and New Zealand.

Camjo-Z

I wasn't aware that the 64-bit shader and orchestral soundtrack weren't already in the game, that's a bit lame... but then again, those features do give me something to look forward to on a replay so it's not so bad. Plus, I'd rather have the game sooner than see it delayed again! I assume the music is already recorded and they just didn't have time to implement it, so I hope it's included on the soundtrack that comes out on the 7th.

Lynd7

I wasn't aware that the 64-bit shader and orchestral soundtrack weren't already in the game, that's a bit lame... but then again, those features do give me something to look forward to on a replay so it's not so bad. Plus, I'd rather have the game sooner than see it delayed again! I assume the music is already recorded and they just didn't have time to implement it, so I hope it's included on the soundtrack that comes out on the 7th.

Maybe the orchestral music will elevate the soundtrack a bit, I mean it sounds alright currently, but the fuller sound might make it full it out a bit more.

Camjo-Z

Speaking of soundtrack, you can currently listen to the entire thing here!

edit: ok capital cashino and its variants are the best songs in the game and NO ONE CAN TELL ME OTHERWISE
edit 2: david wise went in HARD on his boss theme

edit: ok capital cashino and its variants are the best songs in the game and NO ONE CAN TELL ME OTHERWISE

Thanks for posting that, listened to a little of everything and I'm thoroughly impressed. What I can only assume are the boss battle themes (
Uphill Battle, Frosty Fray, etc.
) are especially terrific.

jb1234

I'm disappointed in the production values. They had an orchestra stretch goal yet most of this sounds very synthy. I guess if they wanted to capture that old school Banjo vibe, mission accomplished but it sounds very cheap.

Camjo-Z

I'm disappointed in the production values. They had an orchestra stretch goal yet most of this sounds very synthy. I guess if they wanted to capture that old school Banjo vibe, mission accomplished but it sounds very cheap.

Apparently the orchestral score isn't in the game yet and is being added post-release. I don't know whether this soundtrack has those tracks or the in-game ones.

jb1234

Apparently the orchestral score isn't in the game yet and is being added post-release. I don't know whether this soundtrack has those tracks or the in-game ones.

It would be incredibly odd for them to release a soundtrack of what are effectively demos. I guess if they ran out of time to record the music and had a strict deadline for the soundtrack, they had no other choice. But that's highly irregular. Even weirder that the game is being released with the synth versions.

Camjo-Z

I have the OT ready to go whenever, so if backers start getting their copies before the 10th make sure to post here and let me know.

SL128

Any news on backers steam codes?
From today:
When do digital game rewards dispatch?
Digital Game Rewards for Steam, GOG and Xbox One will be sent out this week so that backers on those platforms can pre-load the game in time for release day. PS4 codes will be dispatched and immediately playable on Monday, April 10 in time for Yooka-Laylee’s first worldwide release in Australia and New Zealand.
Codes will be fulfilled via platform specific codes which can be collected from each users BackerKit pledge. Backers must have access to their BackerKit pledge, using the email account registered on the BackerKit system. Digital Codes will not be accessible via Kickstarter.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Well my physical copy did not arrive in the post today as the backer email so excitedly said it might do.

:(

Key word is "might". Not a fan myself of it having to be signed, so I had to let my SO know to keep an eye out for it this week, but most likely next week since I'm in the US west coast.

JonnyKong

Key word is "might". Not a fan myself of it having to be signed, so I had to let my SO know to keep an eye out for it this week, but most likely next week since I'm in the US west coast.

I'll be at work tomorrow and Friday so I probably won't be able to get hold of it until Saturday now due to this having to be signed for business. Getting it today would have been perfect as I had the day off work. Never mind!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be at work tomorrow and Friday so I probably won't be able to get hold of it until Saturday now due to this having to be signed for business. Getting it today would have been perfect as I had the day off work. Never mind!

Yeah that does suck though, but considering how slow mail can be, I wouldn't think that anyone will have it in hand today. At least if they miss you both times, they will hold it for 7 days before it goes back. I hope that gives enough time for everyone. Guess it depends who they are sending it with, though.

ultrazilla

No. They're working on it with Nintendo but they aren't in a position to give a date yet.

This sucks. :(

I switched from the PS4 version to Switch version and can't change it back now. So now people that decided to change to Switch are in limbo over the damn release date when everyone else will be playing it next week. :(

If I had known the Switch version would not be the same day/date release as the other versions, I would have just stuck with either my PS4 PC digital version. I'm not big into "entitlements" but I did back this on Kickstarter and
feel a bit burned that I won't be able to play it next week like everyone else.

fernoca

I switched from the PS4 version to Switch version and can't change it back now. So now people that decided to change to Switch are in limbo over the damn release date when everyone else will be playing it next week. :(

If I had known the Switch version would not be the same day/date release as the other versions, I would have just stuck with either my PS4 PC digital version. I'm not big into "entitlements" but I did back this on Kickstarter and
It was always known that the Switch version would come later. They never said when or how close/far from launch.

NimbusD

Wooo, got my refund I regretted like the day after I couldn't change it back to Switch.

And because of exchange rates, I actually lost money due to them deciding to cancel the Wii U version yay.

ramparter

Banned

I believe it was very clearly mentioned that Switch version would be available later. On the other hand I too would have prefer to have an estimation. I eventually went from Wii U to One for the exact reason we had no idea when Switch version would be released.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Did they even allow for a Switch copy? Last I saw was that they were still waiting on Nintendo to even be able to change it. Bloodstained however, was the one that allowed you to move it to a Switch copy.

ultrazilla

I believe it was very clearly mentioned that Switch version would be available later. On the other hand I too would have prefer to have an estimation. I eventually went from Wii U to One for the exact reason we had no idea when Switch version would be released.

I must have missed that. I simply saw that we were able to move our orders to the Switch version and I presumed it would be day and date with the other releases.

I'd just like the option to be able to go and change my preferred platform so I can play it next week instead of sitting around reading spoilers and stuff. :(

illusionary

Hmmm.... which region are you and do you have any trading feedback? I'm in the UK and in the opposite position, with a PS4 digital code that I'd prefer to swap to Switch (and Playtonic ignoring all emails).

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm.... which region are you and do you have any trading feedback? I'm in the UK and in the opposite position, with a PS4 digital code that I'd prefer to swap to Switch (and Playtonic ignoring all emails).

They officially haven't announced a Switch copy, though...

I thought they were clear that the switch version wasn't going to be launching at the same time and that a working version wasn't going to pop out of thin air. I'm sorry that you feel like you weren't aware but in the end, they would have done it if they could have, and nothing will change that now.

They officially haven't announced a Switch copy, though...

?
Of yooka laylee?

They most certainly have. They've certainly told backers they're working on it, they've had an announcement trailer for a switch version too. They just can't give a release date yet.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
?
Of yooka laylee?

They most certainly have. They've certainly told backers they're working on it, they've had an announcement trailer for a switch version too. They just can't give a release date yet.

Oh they have a trailer out too? Ok then yeah it is definitely official, but sure won't be out immediately since it was last minute. It made it sound like they still needed Nintendo's license/approval before they could do anything.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
We even had a trailer on the Switch indies direct. Unless you mean physical copy which is true, only digital confirmed so far.

I didn't watch it, nor did I hear of its inclusion in it. I feel like the actual Kickstarter page didn't talk about it too much, and just made it sound like it was still all pending.

Oh they have a trailer out too? Ok then yeah it is definitely official, but sure won't be out immediately since it was last minute. It made it sound like they still needed Nintendo's license/approval before they could do anything.

I'm not convinced they managed to get a switch Dev kit until recently, given Nintendo seemed to be holding them quite tightly, though that is of course pure speculation on my part.

It's probably not entirely trivial to get it working at a level they're happy with in Switch either, given they were still making performance improvements to other versions late enough that they weren't ready for reviewers (but are in that day 1 patch).

I'm sure they're doing all they can to finish the switch version as soon as possible.

Top Bottom