• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Peter Jackson’s King Kong was the most innovative game of its console generation

Loke

peter-jacksons-king-kong-20051202053616360.jpg

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
it wasn't bad either, and looked pretty dope for a movie tie in, i remember it being compared to riddick (although not anywhere as good)

was some super impressive visual shit for the time
I remember the reviews I saw boiled down to "yeah, this game's okay."

It's the pinnacle of movie tie in gaming, really.

This game ran so bad on the 360, my first though was that the 360 wasn't much better than the og Xbox (this was this game's fault, not the 360's, but hey polygon will be polygon).

Rayderism

I remember it being infested with that horrible Starforce DRM on PC that would slowly kill any CD/DVD writer in your system.

Rodolink

One of the lead designers gave me classes on college. They experimented and did research about player emotions and psychology. Moments of awe and surprise, immersion etc.

GreyHorace

It was a fun game. Definitely better than most licensed titles. But revolutionary? Give me a break. Polygon getting high on their supply of bullshit yet again.

Stuart360

I played this on 360, one of the first 360 games i had. I literally cant remember anything about it, i mean literally, so it cant of been that innovative .

Last edited:

Helios

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the inspiration for that article. Except they couldn't resist not adding that Polygon touch - the clickbait title.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The game that all by itself set digital distribution back by probably at least 5 years? Holy shit what a mess that launch was. Even if you did manage to get it downloaded it didn't run on a lot of PCs.

To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Or in the case of Polygon's sterling reputation as highly-skilled gamers, everything looks like the most-innovative game of its console generation.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

This clip is classic. But I always wondered if the player didn't do this on purpose. It looks to me like they were trying to scare the demon away and test the graphical/AI reactions of the game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So outside trashing the game/the article, what do people think is worthy of being called among the most innovative of that generation/period (and how does this game stack up against those, to trash the article further, haha)? Metroid Prime? Metal Gear Solid 2? Shadow of the Colossus? Resident Evil 4? World of Warcraft? Grant Theft Auto III? Does Deus Ex count as part of that generation (it released after the Dreamcast did)? Does Diablo II? Shenmue? Soul Calibur? The Sims? Hitman? Katamari Damacy? Advance Wars? Jet Set Radio? Ikaruga? Phantasy Star Online?

Last edited:

stranno

No.. it was actually this.
91oDTG8tfmL._SY445_.jpg
Open-world dog-kidnapping Cooking Mama.

I'd say its very unique.

King Kong was just ok. Unfortunately Ubisoft Montpellier copied some elements from Dreamworks' Trespasser, like the gun handling and the voice messages (ammunition status and stuff). And those elements were cool in 1998, sure, but they sucked in 2005.

Gameloft's King Kong is a great game tho.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Classic Polygon. Came here thinking this was a parody thread but apparently it isn’t. The game wasn’t bad though

Hudo

So outside trashing the game/the article, what do people think is worthy of being called among the most innovative of that generation/period (and how does this game stack up against those, to trash the article further, haha)? Metroid Prime? Metal Gear Solid 2? Shadow of the Colossus? Resident Evil 4? World of Warcraft? Grant Theft Auto III? Does Deus Ex count as part of that generation (it released after the Dreamcast did)? Does Diablo II? Shenmue? Soul Calibur? The Sims? Hitman? Katamari Damacy? Advance Wars? Jet Set Radio? Ikaruga? Phantasy Star Online?

From the PS360 generation? Probably Minecraft. It got released in 2009.

Pimpbaa

This was nothing more than a linear theme park like game with pretty graphics, nothing more. To consider it the most innovative game of it's generation is a huge fucking insult to the developers who actually did innovative shit.

RedCarp04

Banned
It was a legitimately good game, had some pretty good scares at certain points of the game for me.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
From the PS360 generation? Probably Minecraft. It got released in 2009.
King Kong was on PS2/GC/Xbox/PC as well so the gen before that surely? Only 360 got it from the gen after that.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Polygon showing (again) they know fuck all about game design.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
COD4 came out and you didn't need FPS Movie games anymore, nobody even remembers King Kong the video game

Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie ended up being better than Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Movie of the Movie but that isn't saying a whole lot.

I played the game on my launch 360. There weren't that many launch titles. It was completely forgettable, much like Perfect Dark Zero which I also played at launch. The 360 didn't really start to hit its stride until Dead Rising.

Zotaku

As some savvy folks already pointed out, Riddick being a sick movie tie-in....is there even a movie tie-in video game that was AS good as Riddick?! I remember playing it on the OG Xbox....and the script/VA-work/direction were just phenomenal, as well as being one of the best looking games of that generation; a real classic.

Top Bottom