• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PR] Dragon Quest VIII set for this winter in Japan

Biggest surprise of the year i'd say. I wasn't expecting DQ8 till late next year the earliest. I guess L5 put all their energy into developing that (which was a very smart decision).

Meier

Well we knew it wouldnt come out in the same period as FFXII but before it? Pretty major shock -- and a welcome bit of news! Level-5 rules!

cvxfreak

This is going to be the best or second best Japanese selling game this year (first might be Pokemon remakes). Wow.

Socreges

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Biggest surprise of the year i'd say.
...really?

Anyway, good news. But it'll still take forever and a fucking day for them to get it over here. Hopefully Square's involvement will accelerate that.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Awesome.
And we can also thank god that Level 5 didn't get their dumbass hands on anything but the graphics engine.

Hopefully now we'll start seeing more media on the game. With it coming out so soon you'd expect them to release more screens and movies of it. From what i've seen so far ii'd put it as the 3rd best looking RPG's this gen behind SMT and DDS. I even like Toriyama's art for the game.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
hey SSX, what's the chance of DDS coming state side? I might just grab it while I'm here in Japan....
SMT3 is still on its way right?

RevenantKioku said:
hey SSX, what's the chance of DDS coming state side? I might just grab it while I'm here in Japan....
SMT3 is still on its way right?

DDS is coming out here on November 16th and SMT3 is coming out here on September 21st.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Thats good! Based on the square merger, I would expect a year to port it over.

Although, I would not be shocked for a Summer 2005 release in USA

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Good news. Winter is always what I consider RPG season.

As for US release, it all depends if this becomes a Star Ocean 3 project or not. I would consider 4Q 05 optimistic.

I don't think you have to worry about it becoming a SO3 type thing. The main reason it took us so long to get it is because of the Directors Cut. They aren't going to need one of those for DQ8, it'll get one release this gen, and it's not going to be buggy. The only reason it could take awhile is because with a DQ game there's alot of time to translate. Especially if its like DQ7.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Billion dollar companies don't need sympathy, I think.

At least keep your blubbering to Nintendo-related threads or something. Jesus.

RevenantKioku said:
Awesome.
And we can also thank god that Level 5 didn't get their dumbass hands on anything but the graphics engine.

I've heard this once or twice and I have a hard time believing it. Does anyone have an article describing the development of this game? It would seem to be a waste of talent to only let Level 5 do the graphics. They're good, but their graphics talent isn't their strongest suit at all. Not that they're bad, but Dark Cloud 2 was an incredible game way, way beyond it's graphics.

sonycowboy said:
I've heard this once or twice and I have a hard time believing it. Does anyone have an article describing the development of this game? It would seem to be a waste of talent to only let Level 5 do the graphics. They're good, but their graphics talent isn't their strongest suit at all. Not that they're bad, but Dark Cloud 2 was an incredible game way, way beyond it's graphics.

Level 5 does the graphics, Armor Project (Horii's development team) does the gameplay, and Bird Studios (Toriyama's studio) does the artwork.

lexbubble

drooling...OMG. So INCREDIBLY happy. This was def. my favorite games when I was younger and I have been missing them tons....running off to tell my dad right now as we always played them together =)

Maybe now that they have VIII nailed down in Japan, they can plan a release date over here and give us V to promote VIII. Of course they may decide not to due to the graphical leap in games.

ferricide

SolidSnakex said:
Level 5 does the graphics, Armor Project (Horii's development team) does the gameplay, and Bird Studios (Toriyama's studio) does the artwork.
not precisely. what armor project does is the planning, of course, which entails how the gameplay is going to work and the scenario, but i don't think they get really neck-deep in executing it at a nuts and bolts level. i'm hoping level-5 at least comes up with a subsystem or something to make it more interesting. dragon warrior VII was marginally soul-crushing in its tedium.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I don't think you have to worry about it becoming a SO3 type thing. The main reason it took us so long to get it is because of the Directors Cut.
Er, no. That was just the reason for the delay from Spring 2004 to August 2004.

Please tell me you're fucking joking. Dark Cloud 2 was the best RPG of 2003. You'll be lucky if this game is half as good.

cvxfreak

Neutron Night said:
Please tell me you're fucking joking. Dark Cloud 2 was the best RPG of 2003. You'll be lucky if this game is half as good.

Some people will argue it's Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

jiggle

CVXFREAK said:
Some people will argue it's Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

or KOTOR.

But I agree, Dark Cloud 2 was the best RPG in 2003. Level-5 rules, and so will Dragon Quest VIII!

jarrod

Banned
While Dark Cloud 2 was a gigantic improvement over the first game (which was just utter crap) it was still too unfocused imo. I'm not usually one come down on a focus on sidequests and minigames (see my constant Majora's Mask pimping) it was almost too much in DC2... not to mention the main game being a bit flat. I prefer the dungeon crawling to be the high point in my dungeon crawlers, call me crazy.

That said, Level 5 is definitely a promising studio and they've crafted a gorgeous engine for DQVIII... hopefully Square Enix's Division 9 can ensure the game design and mechanics are up to the high standard the series is famous for. Things are looking good so far anyway.

Top Bottom