• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR: Monster Hunter X breaks 3 million units

The 3DS C-Stick is not an improvement over PSP/Vita's Claw method. Not even close.

Er, I'm going to have to disagree. While the C-Stick is passable at best, it's several magnitudes more comfortable and efficient than the claw. In fact, I'd rather use the virtual D-Pad than the claw, which is what I did in MH3U.

Kyoufu

it's several magnitudes more comfortable and efficient than the claw.

This is factually incorrect because the claw method allows you to attack while turning the camera. This is not possible with the C-stick or any stick on the right hand side.

MH players actually use the claw even on controllers like DualShock/CCPro etc.

Face buttons being integral to combat is the whole reason why controllers like the Elite Xbox One pad and the SCUF pads exist, to allow players to perform actions that they wouldn't be able to do in games which require use of camera control via the right stick plus inputs from face buttons.

This is factually incorrect because the claw method allows you to attack while turning the camera. This is not possible with the C-stick or any stick on the right hand side.

MH players actually use the claw even on controllers like DualShock/CCPro etc.

Face buttons being integral to combat is the whole reason why controllers like the Elite Xbox One pad and the SCUF pads exist, to allow players to perform actions that they wouldn't be able to do in games which require use of camera control via the right stick plus inputs from face buttons.

To be clear, I'm talking specifically for me, rather than it being an objective fact. Regardless of what is fact, I just don't find it comfortable, and will take the C-Stick/Virtual D-Pad over it any day. This wouldn't be a problem if I could just play my MH games on Vita, but I won't get into that.

ChrisD

The 3DS C-Stick is not an improvement over PSP/Vita's Claw method. Not even close.

The dpad positioning on PSP/Vita allows players to control the camera while attacking monsters or gathering.

...What?
That claw hurt. Physically. How could one even prefer that over a second stick?

I can still move the camera while attacking. It's just a different method. You move it while in your animations since this is Monster Hunter, and animations are long and deliberate. Though, truth be told, I don't find myself moving it much while attacking, anyways. The camera is typically just in the right position..

Edit: What on eeeeaaarrrth I didn't even read your last reply. "Factually"? "Monster Hunter players use claw on CCPro/Dualshock"? What even makes one say these things with such firm beliefs? I played four hundred hours of Tri, and it was the most comfortable game to play in the series because I had the CCPro and it's right stick.

Then there was when I bought P3rd HD JUST to have a right stick, because P3rd was where the claw actually started to hurt my hand outside of the game. That was fun.

Maybe we're both crazy ones out here.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Turning using the ZL/ZR buttons on the N3DS doesn't get enough recognition. Yes, the C-Nipple isn't that great, but it's not the only additional camera control you're given on the N3DS.

...What?
That claw hurt. Physically. How could one even prefer that over a second stick?

I can still move the camera while attacking. It's just a different method. You move it while in your animations since this is Monster Hunter, and animations are long and deliberate. Though, truth be told, I don't find myself moving it much while attacking, anyways. The camera is typically just in the right position..

Exactly. I don't know why one can be called objectively better than the other. The claw might work, but it can't be the superior way because the only reason it exists is as a work around to the PSP's lack of a second stick. It's just not comfortable, and if I'm going to be playing MH for 3-4 hours at a time, if not more, like I usually do, then I sure as hell don't want perpetual hand cramps.

ChrisD

Turning using the ZL/ZR buttons on the N3DS doesn't get enough recognition. Yes, the C-Nipple isn't that great, but it's not the only additional camera control you're given on the N3DS.

You're right that ZL for sweeping motions feels great. I know you could always center camera, but the soft lock-on makes things more fluid in a battle.

test_account

XP-39C²
Two running series like that isn't a new thing for MH. They did this with the Portable/Freedom and "mainline" numbered games as well. They've also had Frontier running for like a decade now.
Yeah, that is true. Capcom seems to have moved away from the Portable branding though, so i'm curious on how they will brand their upcoming games. If next year, maybe we will see MH5, while in 2017, maybe they will call it MHX2 or something.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Great numbers! :)

I think so too. Seems to be spinoff in the sense like Black Ops was a spin off to Modern Warfare. I wonder if Capcom will makes two series like that or just keep going with numbered sequels instead.

What it really is seemingly is MHP4, rebranded and with a bit of extra flair.

Kyoufu

Exactly. I don't know why one can be called objectively better than the other. The claw might work, but it can't be the superior way because the only reason it exists is as a work around to the PSP's lack of a second stick. It's just not comfortable, and if I'm going to be playing MH for 3-4 hours at a time, if not more, like I usually do, then I sure as hell don't want perpetual hand cramps.

It's objectively better because it allows you to do something not possible on the other, simple as that. What's hard to understand? Halo/Destiny players use Claw methods too (but now they have the Elite/SCUF controller options available).

You can have your preference, which is fine, but I personally prefer full camera control rather than partial camera control.

tuffy

Or, one could just get a Circle Pad Pro that moves the camera control to the left side:
IFQxx8o.jpg

NewGame

Banned
People still gripe about camera controls even though the target cam feature has solved 90% of the issues people had with it.

Tap to centre on monster
Double tap to centre on hunter direction

its not hard people

Top Bottom