• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Praise be to God. The Fortnite killer is finally under production...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Good news: Game of the decade, Fortnite Battle Royale, finally has what looks to be a competitor in the pipeline.

Bad new: "The call is coming from inside your house!"

Recent job listings...

"Epic Games is looking for a smart, creative UI Programmer Intern to join who will participate in working on parts of the Fortnite Universe. This team is responsible for building a new experience in the Fortnite ecosystem," it continues. "This experience will involve working on an open world survival crafting game within a physics sandbox. There is much opportunity to build something either in the frontend or in-game."

I think we can safely say the next big genre may not be extraction shooters, but instead, is likely the survival genre. All you NeoGAFians are going to be playing Fortnite in your nursing homes.

Robb

Gold Member
This is bound to be another free-to-play/microtransaction game, so it’s very difficult to get excited for me.

But I’d be happy if they prove me wrong.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
So the Fortnite killer is a Fornite open world survival game?

Cary Elwes Laughing GIF

iorek21

Fortnite has been flirting with the idea of a single player experience/GTAO experience for some time now. Seasons get more and more thematic, but it doesn’t really translate well into the BR genre, so we get some weird mixes like the current season: spy themed but if literal wars into what should be a stealth location.

A open world survival RPG will work wonders for this kind of themes.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This is bound to be another free-to-play/microtransaction game, so it’s very difficult to get excited for me.

But I’d be happy if they prove me wrong.
What if you looked at games via gameplay design rather than payment model?

Robb

Gold Member
What if you looked at games via gameplay design rather than payment model?
What does it matter if the payment models makes me not want to play the game anyway?

The gameplay in Fortnite, and many free-to-play games, isn’t necessarily bad. The MTX, predatory systems, season passes etc. etc. etc. are - I’m not interested in that.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What does it matter if the payment models makes me not want to play the game anyway?

The gameplay in Fortnite, and many free-to-play games, isn’t necessarily bad. The MTX, predatory systems, season passes etc. etc. etc. are - I’m not interested in that.

It's just strange because I don't interact with any of the MTX, predatory systems, or Battle Passes in Fortnite. I play it due to the gameplay alone. I just don't understand gamers who aren't gameplay oriented. To each their own I suppose.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

It's just a predatory menu designed to make kids buy dances and famous rapper skins. The ultimate fortnite experience

8BiTw0LF

Banned
The next CoD will feature an open world zombie mode and it's rumored they will remove DMZ.

I think it will be DMZ combined with zombies. Survival Extraction Shooter.

Hudo

No Unreal, no Unreal Tournament. Instead another fucking Fortnite game. And a shitty survival game at that. Great.

I hope that at least some people gonna have fun with this shit.

Robb

Gold Member
It's just strange because I don't interact with any of the MTX, predatory systems, or Battle Passes in Fortnite. I play it due to the gameplay alone. I just don't understand gamers who aren't gameplay oriented. To each their own I suppose.
Oh I’m definitely gameplay oriented. Nintendo games are my jam and those are certainly gameplay first.

There’s a big difference between having your game being designed from the ground up around making money over time than not though. If Zelda: TotK had 100 Links running around Hyrule in different costumes, rupees were turned into a digital currency, shops were selling Zonai devices, costumes, dance moves etc. for said currency and season passes were introduced I would not be interested - despite the gameplay being just as great as it is in the actual game.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Oh I’m definitely gameplay oriented. Nintendo games are my jam and those are certainly gameplay first.

There’s a big difference between having your game being designed from the ground up around making money over time than not though. If Zelda: TotK had 100 Links running around Hyrule in different costumes, rupees were turned into a digital currency, shops were selling Zonai devices, costumes, dance moves etc. for said currency and season passes were introduced I would not be interested - despite the gameplay being just as great as it is in the actual game.

Would you play Zelda: TotK if it was exactly the same as it is today, only they added a MTX shop tab that was optional?

Robb

Gold Member
Would you play Zelda: TotK if it was exactly the same as it is today, only they added a MTX shop tab that was optional?
I would, but I wouldn’t like that inclusion. And who knows, maybe I wouldn’t like it to the degree that if the next game had that as well I wouldn’t be interested at all. It’s an easy way to ruin an entire franchise.

Kind of depends on if it affect the gameplay loop or not. It’s not like I don’t play games that contain this stuff at all. They’re practically unavoidable. If it’s not MTX, it’s season passes or something else that’s similar.

Top Bottom