• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

President Obama adds 235,000 jobs in Feb, and lowers unemployment rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
UPDATE: Here's the numbers for 2017 so far -

https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

Jan 4.8
Feb 4.7
Mar 4.5
Apr 4.4
May 4.3

Original Post:

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/141266/trump-not-add-235000-jobs-economy-obama-did

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-drops-to-4-7-percent/?utm_term=.ab8729f5d89d

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/trump-economic-report-card-235868

President Trump has been in office for a little while now, and perhaps we could start looking into his numbers as president, but I seem to recall a little something from the campaign...

in 2016 after winning the New Hampshire primary, Trump told supporters not to believe ”phony numbers" coming out of the U.S. Department of Labor. ”The number is probably 28, 29, as high as 35," he said of the unemployment rate. ”In fact, I even heard recently 42 percent."

These ”phony" numbers are now Trump's to own even though at this point his policies could not really be responsible for most of the jobs created in February.

The employment numbers have a little lag on them, so Trump doesn't yet deserve credit yet, and it remains to be seen if he will deserve credit in about 6 months from now when it will start to reflect the results of his work.
”One of the most important elements of analyzing labor market reports is that they're lagging indicators so they tend to be a reflection of what has been happening in the economy in the prior six months to a year," said Frances Donald, senior economist at Manulife Asset Management. ”The jobs numbers that we'll see six months from now will probably be a better reflection of the new administration."

Thanks Obama!

For what it's worth, the stock market is doing pretty well, and that is more of a timely and reactive indicator, but at the same time not necessarily an indicator of economic health - especially health that is productive for the less fortunate among us.

So, in about six months from now, how do y'all think the jobs reports will look? Still on the up and up? Down in the shitter? My take is that many expect Trump's influence in the short term will be catastrophic, but I'm going to guess that it won't be as bad as people think. We'll see what the world looks like in September.

Volimar

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/trump-monthly-jobs-numbers-sean-spicer-235936

Spicer claims that jobs numbers ‘may have been phony’ before, but now they’re ‘very real’

“In the past, the president has referred to particular job reports as phony or totally fiction,” a reporter asked. “Does the president believe that this jobs report was accurate and a fair way to measure the economy?”

“I talked to the president prior to this, and he said to quote them very clearly,” Spicer said. “They may have been phony in the past, but it’s very real now.”

kirblar

Unemployment is really low right now- we're approaching full employment and are seeing wages rise in the bottom 40% as a result.

The issue w/ the labor force participation rate, I suspect, is that the people who have stopped looking for work are largely living in areas where the jobs no longer exist.

Indicators will be good since businesses have been spending and buying once the presidential cycle was complete and definitive, there is nothing worse than uncertainty.

Its really going to be 2 or 3 years from now that we fully see the impact of Trump on the economy - tourism definitely down, will it be made up by trade?

gun_haver

I don't normally post in political topics on here, but man, Trump and his team really have to be the least credible leaders of America I've ever seen in terms of public statements. Putting what they actually intend to do aside, or what you think of it - they lie, exaggerate and contradict themselves to the point where what Trump says essentially doesn't mean anything.

I don't know if that's part of a strategy or not but the words of the US president seem to currently mean less than they have as long as I've paid any attention.

GutsOfThor

I don't normally post in political topics on here, but man, Trump and his team really have to be the least credible leaders of America I've ever seen in terms of public statements. Putting what they actually intend to do aside, or what you think of it - they lie, exaggerate and contradict themselves to the point where what Trump says essentially doesn't mean anything.

I don't know if that's part of a strategy or not but the words of the US president seem to currently mean less than they have as long as I've paid any attention.

He knows his braindead supporters will be believe anything and everything he says. Put a blue piece of paper in front of them and he can say, "That paper is not blue, it's orange!" and they will believe him over the truth.

They deny climate change, but accept employment numbers?

I mean, you got to accept all scientific data. This administration is insane.

Hazzuh

So is the official position of the white house that unemployment has fallen from 25-35% to 5% since Trump came to office?

Depends on your point of view. Trump cult members would say these are the most credible leaders America has ever had.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So, in about six months from now, how do y'all think the jobs reports will look? Still on the up and up? Down in the shitter? My take is that many expect Trump's influence in the short term will be catastrophic, but I'm going to guess that it won't be as bad as people think. We'll see what the world looks like in September.

It's not a matter of time, but a matter of policy. If the current government changes policy, or does not change policy, they inherit it regardless. "Don't fix what's not broken" can lead to willful inaction, so there's a certain amount of recognition that should be given for it.

That said, it's easier to look at how a government stacks up against its promises. Look at what actions were taken to meet them and judge based on that and the effects of those actions. We were promised several percent growth, millions of new jobs, better healthcare for everyone and no more wars. Let's see how we stack against it.

Exile20

And the excuse he gave, "I apologize if we got a little excited about Americans getting back to work." Like how does this shit work on people. It's like a parody of a con man.

Oh now they are happy Americans are getting back to work, before when it was under Obama, unemployment was at 42%.

No words can describe how much I hate this Administration.

And the excuse he gave, "I apologize if we got a little excited about Americans getting back to work." Like how does this shit work on people. It's like a parody of a con man.
If the damn press secretary can't hold his mouth shut for a few minutes because he gets excited, I don't think he should be doing that job.

gdt

Man, these guys don't give a fuck.

But they got rewarded for all the lies they spew so why not just say whatever you want?

UberTag

They wear their absence of credibility as a badge of honor. They're proud of it.
It's all a big joke at how they're fleecing the ignorant and stupid and we're all in on it with them laughing away.
Hypocrisy is now, apparently, an endearing trait worth celebrating.

The most disturbing thing about this is when the press laughs along with him....
Yep, they're in on the joke too. How hilarious it all is! Let us all chortle and guffaw at how real the previously phony numbers now are.

My dad always says that whatever a President does is seen when the next if in office. Usually this makes a Republican preceding a Democrat look better, or to blame a Democrat when the Republican is messing stuff up.

I wonder what he will say when I use that line for a Democrat preceding a Republican in a positive light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom