• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Price Adjustments for Activision Games in Multiple Steam Stores Following Microsoft's Acquisition (Confirmed in Brazil, Argentina, and Indonesia)

Draugoth

Gold Member
Not ABK related but Halo gane prices increased in the UK

20231017-130156.jpg

With the massive price increase of ABK games in some countries (for now...) gaming wins, thanks M$, it didn't take long for them to take off their mask.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Let's say it once more, loud and clear, for the M$ apologists in the cheap seats (which are ironically about to become super expensive):

Monopolies
Are
Always
Bad

The deal was a headache, Trade Authorities arent going to approve deals for Microsoft anytime soon for the next 10 years after this.

T4keD0wN

Been checking steamdb price changes.
Some of the call of duty games have now increased by over 700%

Highest ive found was Black Ops 2 (2012) Digital Deluxe, it went up by +1709% in Turkey. (not a typo) Some of these games will soon start pushing month of rent territory in a small town, wonder who will pay that much.

And people though it was bad when Bethesda has doubled their prices last year, Capcom and Ubisoft have since also done a very similar price increase lately 200-800%

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Whoa, Valve absolutely hates anything that is not a hyper rich western country, i wonder why they even offer regional pricing when they dont want people to offer it at this point.

Epic is now 30%-50% cheaper in my country for most games.

Last edited:

Madonis

Been checking steamdb price changes.
Some of the call of duty games have now increased by over 700%

Highest ive found was Black Ops 2 (2012) Digital Deluxe, it went up by +1709% in Turkey. (not a typo) Some of these games will soon start pushing month of rent territory in a small town, wonder who will pay that much.

And people though it was bad when Bethesda has doubled their prices last year, Capcom and Ubisoft have since also done a very similar price increase lately 200-800%

It's just a sad reality that those companies simply don't care about losing customers in other countries, all for the sake of preventing a small minority from taking advantage of regional pricing outside of the U.S. Even when we're talking about games that have sold (or are extremely likely to sell) millions of copies, maximum profit margins must be protected at all costs.

Last edited:

Madonis

Steam regional game prices get adjusted all the time. Sony did a few months ago. Previously Capcom, Bandai, and Ubisoft did the same as well. But yes let's get all angry at the various regulators.

Steam's own pricing recommendations are relatively reasonable and it makes sense to match those, all things considered. After all, most currencies around the world aren't static.

However, various large publishers are recently increasing prices in excess of such recommendations. Which defeats the point of having them in the first place.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Consolidation is good.
It's pro-consumer.
yes they want you to get gamepass. its such a great deal, they have to force you to get it by raising the price of buying games.
What we have here is the one and only...

Mike Myers Evil Laugh GIF

GAME PASS EFFECT
Or discontinue making consoles with disc trays.

They're herding all the sheep over a cliff.
Step one, buy as much as you can.

Step two, increase prices across the board.

Step three, GP becomes an even better and more obvious deal as a result.

Step four.... profit.
Hiking the price of super old games that can be pirated or bought on grey market key sites.. What is Phil smoking and can I have some?

Damn guys Microsoft stole your breakfast or what? You jumped as soon as you saw something allegedly "negative" without barely understanding what it means lol, wtf is this?

This is just periodic regional price adjustment, inflation is crazy in many third world countries, specially these days in Latin America. Most probably they're way too outdated, haven't you seen inflation in Argentina?

To give you an example, Dark Souls 3 was 110k Colombian pesos for years, then it's was 250k suddenly early this year, then 350k and o just got it this weekend for 300k.

Companies do this all the time, but they can't catch up each week when inflation randomly duplicates, leaving their $60 game be $30 over the course of some days. I know, living in a first world country give you the assumption that process can stay the same for years but not the case in most other countries, in reality, inflation fluctuates way more frequently there.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Damn guys Microsoft stole your breakfast or what? You jumped as soon as you saw something allegedly "negative" without barely understanding what it means lol, wtf is this?

This is just periodic regional price adjustment, inflation is crazy in many third world countries, specially these days in Latin America. Most probably they're way too outdated, haven't you seen inflation in Argentina?

To give you an example, Dark Souls 3 was 110k Colombian pesos for years, then it's was 250k suddenly early this year, then 350k and o just got it this weekend for 300k.

Companies do this all the time, but they can't catch up each week when inflation randomly duplicates, leaving their $60 game be $30 over the course of some days. I know, living in a first world country give you the assumption that process can stay the same for years but not the case in most other countries, in reality, inflation fluctuates way more frequently there.
Mine was a joke and I try to make it somewhat obvious each time I do it.

I feel like at this point "Game Pass Effect" is a meme amongst gamers and when it's tossed out there it should just be taken as a joke and not read into.

Last edited:

killatopak

Makes me love physical games more.

The consumer actually controls the prices instead of the producer especially with the second hand market. Although you can occasionally get fucked in the ass by Nintendo fans selling their second hand game at the same retail price because Nintendo. At least you get to fuck someone else’s ass if you decide to sell them yourself.

Astray

Gold Member
If the company keeps doing dumb shit I will keep ragging on it for doing dumb shit (just like with Sony and Nintendo, none of these companies are my friends).

The solution? They should stop doing dumb shit.

Ev1L AuRoN

The minimum wage in Brazil is around US$:260 a month, if your salary is around 1k you are already at the top 10% earners, at 6k US$ you are already at the 1%.

As you can imagine, gaming is an expensive hobby for Brazilians. And that price increase meant fewer people can afford those games.

And that's why I rarely bought games at launch. Usually I bought 2 to 3 games at full price in a good year, the rest I wait for better deals, I tend to buy games when they are US$:40,00 or lower.

dotnotbot

It's par for the course recently that Turkey and Argentina get their prices adjusted. Regional pricing is heavily abused and the value of their currencies keeps going down fast.

Nothingburger IMO.

Top Bottom