• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Price increase for Xbox controllers coming in July

NickFire

Yep, and if it *is* the actual flight controls, looks like it's gonna be a bit more complicated than a simple Arcadey, Ace Combat, style controls.
The presentation of prior vids doesn’t scream arcade at all imo. Doubt anyone needs to worry about that. My guess is flying will be sim(ish anyway).

Three

I would take that as a grain of salt, just like that starfield price.

Until the price is confirmed by the major companies, its a grain of salt.
This is a retailer confirming the price increase. For starfield €89.99 came from a b2b distributor. He reaffirmed that the 'leaked' price tag of €74.99 is correct. "As a matter of fact - he verified this price with three French retailers".

What would b2b be even? It's likely tax included and the 75€ is wholesale.

This is a french retailer who is saying there is a price hike for special editions "these undergo an equivalent increase, going from 64.99 to 69.99€". This is from a french retailer and is still a hike thats not related to the 75€ Starfield controller price.

DaGwaphics

You're right. After closer inspection, it might be a scam. I was trying to clown Xbox but even these old controllers are expensive.

IKR. Seriously I wish they were only $25, I needed a new DS4 last year and actually had a hard time finding a proper Sony branded one. Even Walmart had some knockoffs listed as if they were official (I was only saved by the user review photos showing the missing PS logos on the product/packaging received).

Last edited:

feynoob

This is a retailer confirming the price increase. For starfield €89.99 came from a b2b distributor. He reaffirmed that the 'leaked' price tag of €74.99 is correct. "As a matter of fact - he verified this price with three French retailers".

What would b2b be even? It's likely tax included and the 75€ is wholesale.

This is a french retailer who is saying there is a price hike for special editions "these undergo an equivalent increase, going from 64.99 to 69.99€". This is from a french retailer and is still a hike thats not related to the 75€ Starfield controller price.
We have to wait and see it.

Ansphn

IKR. Seriously I wish they were only $25, I needed a new DS4 last year and actually had a hard time finding a proper Sony branded one. Even Walmart had some knockoffs listed as if they were official (I was only saved by the user review photos showing the missing PS logos on the product/packaging received).
These are fake?

How can you tell?

feynoob

These are fake?

How can you tell?
I wish the seller would have stated this controller wasn't authentic in the listing. However it seems to be a decent quality counterfeit. The analog sticks work almost as well as on a genuine controller so I'll at least keep it to play with games that don't require exact precision.
One of the reviews from the listing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

DaGwaphics

These are fake?

How can you tell?

The shipped product probably won't have the PS logo on the home button (generally just black) and will use slightly different product branding on the package (it'll use the verbiage that 3rd party controllers are allowed to use, but won't have the Sony branding). Someone should report the use of the incorrect photos in the listing though.

Edit: Wow, looks like they are getting bolder. Some of them actually do put the PS logo on there.

Last edited:

Eotheod

I mean, in Australia the PS5 controllers are $109 for the basic and $119 for the special edition ones. Compared to Xbox, which are $89 for standard and $99. If it does go up, it's probably matching Sony's pricing.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It is a beautiful one, 'innit ?

FyFpOvWXsAARJf5
That is the best -looking controller I've ever seen. I love it, I want it, but I already have a ton of controllers and am broke after massive dental bills.

DaGwaphics

Holy shit it's possible I have a couple counterfeit PS4 and maybe even PS5 controller. I made sure to buy only ones with the PlayStation names on the box but I guess they don't give a damn and made a complete copy with the Sony branding.

LOL, same thought I had. Hoping I didn't pay $55 for a fake.

Sony should work harder at making sure their retail partners (Walmart, BestBuy, etc.) are not selling counterfeit products with the illegal use of the Sony branding.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've bought my share of off-market controllers as well, and while it feels good to save the money in the moment, these off-brand ones will wear out much quicker than genuine ones.

dotnotbot

LOL, same thought I had. Hoping I didn't pay $55 for a fake.

Sony should work harder at making sure their retail partners (Walmart, BestBuy, etc.) are not selling counterfeit products with the illegal use of the Sony branding.

As long as you're buying directly from them you will be ok. But if it's sold by a no name shop on their website it's probably fake. It's a problem no marketplace-like retailers have been able to solve, probably because the amount of fakes is massive.

Holy shit it's possible I have a couple counterfeit PS4 and maybe even PS5 controller. I made sure to buy only ones with the PlayStation names on the box but I guess they don't give a damn and made a complete copy with the Sony branding.

Yea brand logos mean nothing and the amount of knock-offs available online is wild. Only buy from biggest shops if you want to be sure.

Genuine Dualshock 4 controllers have been hard to get recently and they no longer go on sale.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

As long as you're buying directly from them you will be ok. But if it's sold by a no name shop on their website it's probably fake.

Yea brand logos mean nothing and the amount of knock-offs available online is wild. Only buy from biggest shops if you want to be sure.

BestBuy did have some counterfeit controllers sold directly by them when I was looking. The packaging on those didn't copy Sony quite this close (not on the product that got sent to you), luckily I saw the user images otherwise I would have just thought they were on sale since they were using the stock photos in the listing.

dotnotbot

BestBuy did have some counterfeit controllers sold directly by them when I was looking. The packaging on those didn't copy Sony quite this close (not on the product that got sent to you), luckily I saw the user images otherwise I would have just thought they were on sale since they were using the stock photos in the listing.

Weird, not sure how to explain that. I know sometimes Amazon gets scammed by people sending them fakes as returns and then those get sold to someone else later as brand new item. But it's usually people putting fakes into original packaging at least, if the packaging was fake and there were many user reviews like this then it's ridiculous.

I thought BestBuy is a marketplace like Wallmart and Amazon but doesn't look like it.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
$5 is basically nothing so who cares but I might grab a Series X controller to replace my old XB1 controller. I don't have an Xbox but these controllers just work perfectly with Windows and they are great for PC gaming.

I've bought my share of off-market controllers as well, and while it feels good to save the money in the moment, these off-brand ones will wear out much quicker than genuine ones.
i usually buy official controllers but i do have a cheap Switch controller (it was bundled with a switch I bought on ebay). it's not bad but the battery has gone to absolute shit recently. I am thinking about buying an official Switch Pro controller to replace it.

Last edited:
Weird, I just bought a lime green one on sale at a major retailer for 40 USD a month ago. Best controller I have ever had though.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Of course you can
That's how i buy Lego much cheaper

Thank god I just bought the green and pink controller for 39,99€ each (paid with rewards points anywas)
The look sooooooooooooooooo good.

graywolf323

lol what? they don’t have as much tech as the DualSense… why are they increasing the price? 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So a last gen controller with nothing new except a share button is getting a price raise? I can get a Duelshock 4 brand new any color right now for $25.99.
Exactly my thoughts.

Xbox did not innovate at all this generation with their controller. The only thing they added was a PS4 Share button.

This is through-and-through a last-gen controller, and instead of introducing next-gen controller features, they are increasing its price!

Top Bottom