• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within is the best crowd control simulator

Reading that other PoP thread lit up my nostalgia moment on the series and while I find Sands of Time one of the best adventure/platformer game of all time, its battle system is surprisingly quite complex. It is one of the only few games that blends platform to combat organically. They've also conveniently streamlined it to the point that he platform mechanics are the "default" state for combat. This game is one that really makes a battle feel like a battle which is so damn surprising considering its spiritual successor "Assassin's Creed" has never replicated that kind of experience, which is quite mind boggling to think such bipolar philosophies stem from the same company.

And here's where a gem that goes relatively underplayed: While the platform and puzzles make up the highlight of the series, I feel that the combat system does not get enough credit. It is, in general, a sandbox. The mechanics are so deep it can make a one on one battle feel relatively intense - doubly so, for boss battles. The variety of arenas from narrow corridors to open-arenas changes the dynamics of the game, forcing you to rely on alternative platform mechanics.

The vaulting, dual-wielding nature is quite sophisticated emphasizing player agency more so than most other genre-specialized systems like GoW. You can tell this is a completely different era for gaming as it is one of the few that still have that discoverability embedded into their design. Vaulting isn't just an traversal to get behind the enemy, you can "dual-vault" from enemy to get the best tactical advantage. And did I mention the platforming bring the "default" state? Wall running and wall jumping
within the design. Then there's the roll, backflip and the dual-weapon combat and counterattacks - all of them compartmentalized into a single core system that tethers together like a spider-web. Each of them has their own distinct advantage depending on the situation from levels to multi-enemy ambushes. In essence, the game gave you all the tools to personalize your style far more than the XP-perk design which permeates the current game designs as of late.

But then the whole system changes for one very clever mechanic: The dagger of time or the time-mechanic.

PoP:SoT ups the ante by taking the combat system and meshes with the individual time perks. Whether it be slowing down time or speed assaulting contributes to the already multilayered approach to the combat system.

However, I also can't dismiss the elephant in the room - that being the enemies are practically invincible unless you absorb them with the DoT. This forces a bottleneck into the combat system because it always ends up that being the main finisher. Make no mistake, even with that, there are still multiple ways to absorb them whether it be on ground or mid-combat (which require some perception as there is no notable health bar to indicate weakness), it doesn't take away from its established design, only limiting it.

Thankfully, Ubisoft polished this aspect in their sequel, "The Warrior Within". As the title implies, the game is just as much combat-centric as it is platforming wise. Normally, changing such theme tends to receive a negative backlash from being a departure from the established design, which is quite understandable to say the least.

But this is where it differs across the general board. The game's systems are dialed up to 11, neither the traversal nor combat was pared back because to simplify the game, rather they tried to build a more established skillset for the prince, more tightly designed traps, puzzles and platforms. The inclusive DoT dual-wielding has been expanded to take secondary/temporary weapons to aid you in combat. There is also an added throw option (which I will get into later). This makes the combat far more diverse as each weapon has their own tweaks that can change the dynamics for encounters.

Compared to other contemporaries it is not inherently a hack-and-slash game. Simply mashing buttons simply won't do and only exposes weakness to your play style. It's why I enjoy this particular aspect of the game, making you feel like a swordmaster in a blockbuster film. The battles, when perfected, brings to it a flow and consistency you generally see in CG trailers. It does the last "kill" cinematic before Max Payne 3 does but expands upon it as there a variety of fatalities you can pull off.

What makes the last "kill" finisher unique isn't that it is simple camera perk interjected for sake of. You can most certainly take that way if judged at face value but look into it deeper and you see that it is a meta-design subconsciously suggesting the player to experiment its systems. This of course means that you will only activate it if you kill the last enemy standing - or at least it may seem. You see, one up unique aspect to said "finishers" is that there is no scripted context to it. There is no final press button-to-awesome rather it takes the "GitGud" approach by slowing down the last intentional attack regardless of the scenario, making this a very experimental and yet intimate affair.

The way the way the combat system works is very lateral in application; what you think may work tends to work. Simple but hard to master. It's very different to say a hack-and-slash where moves are telegraphed through rote memorization of established systems and unlocking the more "XP" you can collect. Like a peacock's tail, the movesets carry over from your basic attacks and can chain a variety based on how high the depth you are capable off. They're puzzles in and out of itself like Tetris blocks retrofitting a form before an execution. Adding the throw system works the degrading weapon design as simultaneously forces the player to treat it as a projectile rather than being a standardised secondary melee weapon. This is why the finisher-cinematic exist, it serves a final "cool" execution for the player rewarding them in a way like replays or final kill modes you see in multiplayer.

It is the only game I know off that uses dual wielding independently other than the Souls series but with a better, more organic flow. WW combat is all about style and is self-aware; the substance is derived out of mastering the system and... I... LOVE IT! A game that rewards you to awesome for being awesome.

WW combat is by far the best crowd fighting simulator I have ever got the pleasure of playing. Games like Batman rely heavily on simon-says timed events but PoP: WW took the battle concept of SoT and increased it's complexity unlike any other. The dark theme, metal- soundtrack, edgy prince can be dismissed for purists but it can't be denies what they brought to the table was unique and executed with precision. The closest I ever got to that experience was Shenmue, the problem was it had a higher difficulty curve that is reminiscent of fighting games.

It is sad to see there is practically no equivalent in this generation. PoP: WW did for combat what Mario does for 3D traversal. They both stem from the same chain-input design as the players centralised agency. I hope that one day developers can take inspiration from said systems to design games around it. I tried replaying the game recently on steam and my skills were clearly rusty for all these years but the sense of familiarity always kicks it, reminding me that there is more to the game than meets the eye. For his reason alone, I call WW the best PoP ever made.

Phediuk

The redesign of the Prince and the overall aesthetic as so offputting in Warrior Within. There were neat ideas but it was all wrapped up in a really repulsive skin.

Zeroth

I've been playing WW these past days by coincidence, and I found the combat system to be somewhat advanced for its time, but still a bit lackluster. For example, there is no penalty to simply defending (except maybe some enemies that kick you here and there IIRC), and all you do is block, wait til the enemy stops attacking, deliver blows and repeat.

Having played MGR a few days before made me think a "parry" system would make the game be much more interesting. I'm amused that you can pull some Batman: Arkham Asylum-esque combos on WW, a game from 2004, but I think the game doesn't reward precise input so much, at least in a context of openings for attacks.

Dahbomb

Warrior Within had a lot of gimmicks in its combat system but most of the gimmicks weren't very good because they took time to complete or they were far too situational to be practical in most of the game's combat. The Vault attacks were the best attacks in the game especially the one where he lunges from the wall directly to the enemy like Vega from SF. They kept you away from harms way and allowed you to deal damage in the process. I am pretty sure I spammed that move among other vault moves for almost the entirety of the game... I never felt the need to explore the other options of the game (the occasional toss enemy from a ledge was helpful). There was no other parameter in the game to explore like say a combo system or a style gauge.

The rest of WW's combat was a dial a combo game in the strictest definition. The developers need to look at actual free form combat game because what they stated as "free form" combat is anything but.

603327-919986_20040920_015.jpg

This is not free form combat, it's flow chart combat.

Varvor

Loved that game, so good.

Its a shame that majority of posts thus far been nothing but driveby's filled with hate.

GavinUK86

For some reason I've always liked The Forgotten Sands that came out in 2010. The one that everyone ignored when it came out and the one no one remembers now.

DJ_Lae

The redesign of the Prince and the overall aesthetic as so offputting in Warrior Within. There were neat ideas but it was all wrapped up in a really repulsive skin.

I still haven't managed to finish it on the HD collection because of the overall design. It's got that whole angsty/brooding thing that was in at the time, and it's repulsive.

Similar shift ruined Jak 2.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I liked Warrior Within. As far as gritty sequels go, it shits on Jak 2 from greater heights.

Atmosphere was awesome, Dahaka was awesome, improved combat and platforming was awesome. Difficulty and puzzles were just right.

Combat may have been dial a combo but there was always enough variety and situational modifiers which kept it from being a bore. Two Thrones is my favorite game in the series though, just a beautiful start and end that ties perfectly into the overall lore.

No Love

Banned
I loved Warrior Within. It was a beautiful game with a fun, scary Tyrant-esque opponent stalking you through time and popping up at the most inconvenient times. Sands of Time was better but I don't think Warrior Within deserves the hate it gets.

Elija2

I know that the 2edgy4me aesthetic is off-putting to a lot of people but besides that the game is really good.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
No game for me has been able to replicate the oh shit moments when ur being chased by the dahaka

Dahbomb

Some really bad posts in this thread so far in all fairness. OP is talking strictly about the combat mechanics and people are going off on about the presentation.

Also most of these mechanics were in Two Thrones as well which is overall the better game.

The meat of this game is every bit as good as the first Prince of Persia and miles beyond PoP 2008. Nothing wrong with the gameplay. And even aesthetically it was great... the characters sucked but the setting was great and at its best parts evoked almost ICO-like atmosphere.

rjc571

Banned
I still haven't managed to finish it on the HD collection because of the overall design. It's got that whole angsty/brooding thing that was in at the time, and it's repulsive.

Similar shift ruined Jak 2.

Jak 2 was still an amazing game despite its angstiness. Warrior Within, not so much.

Xav

Jak 2 was still an amazing game despite its angstiness. Warrior Within, not so much.

Jak 2 is a frustrating game beyond it's terrible theme. Warrior Within is actually a good game buried under a terrible theme.

The Dahaka is still one of the coolest things in gaming.

DanielJr82

I'm still not feeling the dark turn the series took after the splendidly charming first game. It's been what... 10 years already? There was a platforming bit towards the end that made me rage pretty hard too, lol. I ended up cussing the game out, one of the few games from that gen to do it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
IIRC, they improved the combat but then they added way more of it. No, no no. That is not why I come to Prince of Persia. I come to Prince of Persia for the platforming. The combat is my least favorite part of every Prince of Persia game I've played.

Warrior Within is my favourite Prince of Persia. I don't care if the presentation is terrible and the soundtrack sucks. That game is awesome. I love the combat for the reasons in the OP and I really love the Dahaka. The chase scenes with him were so tense and effective and the Dagger of Time mechanic avoided the tedious trial and error that usually comes with chase sequences. I'd take it over Sands of Time any day. I like SoT but the shitty combat ruins it for me.

Oh, no, I meant he's not wrong about Jak 2 being awesome. I dug the PoP trilogy.

I probably should have been clearer then. My bad.

IIRC, they improved the combat but then they added way more of it. No, no no. That is not why I come to Prince of Persia. I come to Prince of Persia for the platforming. The combat is my least favorite part of every Prince of Persia game I've played.

To be fair they did do a better job of spreading out the combat. Sands of Time basically had combat encounters where you fought waves of enemies over and over again. In Warrior Within you would fight like 3 enemies and then move on with the platforming, but generally nowhere near as much per combat encounter as in Sands of Time. Sands of Time also had that bullshit where you had to weaken the enemy until you could finish him off with the dagger. In Warrior Within you just attack and kill them. It was definitely an improvement.

Dahbomb

Also I contest that PoP: WW is the best crowd control simulator.

For it to be called that it would need to have numerous ways to crowd control enemies (as in inflicting a status effect, moving them around that sort of thing). PoP: WW certain has some of that:

*Grab enemies
*Toss enemies behind you
*Toss enemies in front of you
*Kick enemies into other enemies
*Standard knockbacks from attacks (like the spin kick when grounded)
*Environment effects

That's about it. Compared to your standard action game these days, that's not that much though. Let's look at Shadow of Mordor.

*Stun enemies with O
*Vault over enemies then stunning them
*Grab enemies
*Toss enemies
*Brand enemies
*Knock back attacks (like the Shoulder charge)
*Environment effects
*Puncture an enemy's foot so they are locked in place
*Brutalize enemies which causes other enemies to be feared or Wraith Burn

Sure SoM doesn't really make you use all of these tools but neither does PoP WW. They both aren't particularly difficulty games or require a high degree of skill.

dkoy

My first
and last
PoP game. It's fun and the environments were gorgeous and really cool. Dahaka was a fucking force of nature and the fight against it was great.
I dislike that you had to find all hp boosters to get the true ending but the actual puzzles were really cool as well.
Gotta admit though, the female character designs were a little tacky but to make up for it the enemy designs were really well done.

Some really bad posts in this thread so far in all fairness. OP is talking strictly about the combat mechanics and people are going off on about the presentation.

Also most of these mechanics were in Two Thrones as well which is overall the better game.

Thank you. For one that contests my premise you are the one who happens to read the post.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Warrior Within is basically just improving on Sands of Time. Is Sands of Time a bad game?

Eh, the combat is better but they honestly put too much of it in the game. The game kind of wears a bit. Two Thrones is significantly better than Warrior Within, both thematically and gameplay/design wise.

Dahbomb

Worst presentation change ever?

This and Jak 2 have to be two of the most poorly conceived sequels in the history of anything.
No that's DMC2.

Both WW and Jak 2 are decent to good games despite their controversial presentation plus they tried to add substantial new content/mechanics to the games. DMC2 on the other hand is a bad sequel from top to bottom in every sense of the word.

I didn't like how brooding the characters were. The butt metal was meh too.

But I agree about the combat, it was great. Super gory and all the different weapon combos and acrobatic stuff was great. I always thought it was amazing that you could jump over a guy and throw them off a platform. Also, spinning around a column or pillar to decapitate enemies.

Also, the Dahaka chase sequences are fucking intense. I don't think I've felt that much tension in a game before.

Sands of Time is still my favorite because it was pure magic when I played it. Must have beaten it dozens of times. I loved the story. And the whole "storytelling" mechanic. So if you die the Prince would say "no, no, no, that's not how it happened.". That was genius. Ubisoft has totally lost that kind of creativity.

Sheroking

I onow some ppl really hate this game but it is my favorite of all pop games.

As much as it does deserve to be mocked for it's attempts to be edgy, I do think it is the best game in the series. Warrior Within's combat system may not be comparable to a good character action game, but it is crazy superior to Sands of Times glorified one-button combat and the counter heavy mash-fest of Assassin's Creed. It's platforming and atmosphere are top notch as well. The Dahaka concept was a great one and those segments remain the most intense in any PoP game.

Also, I feel like not enough people blame the gaming media at the time for the wrongs of Prince of Persia. This was a time when mainstream publications, including G4 and IGN, were criticizing games for not being "mature". Ubi Soft was going with the flow.

Griss

Thread's a bad example of GAF seeing a game in a thread title and just giving their opinion on said game rather than actually replying to the OP, which in this case is about a very focused, narrow subject.

Anyway, I enjoyed the analysis in the OP. I agree that the combat in the PoP trilogy is a far more impressive system than that found in Assassin's Creed, but it has been too long since I played them to go into any depth, sorry. I do feel like in AC combat is just meant to be almost a break from exploration and parkour, whereas in PoP platforming and fighting were the entire game, and thus had to be challenging. I get the feeling that if a game designer for AC saw someone die in a fight on normal he'd be disappointed. A PoP designer would expect it. Combat is not meant to push you or make you think in AC, it and PoP are different beasts.

Eh, the combat is better but they honestly put too much of it in the game. The game kind of wears a bit. Two Thrones is significantly better than Warrior Within, both thematically and gameplay/design wise.

I definitely wouldn't say that Two Thrones is significantly better. Warrior Within still only focuses on the things that matter: platforming, and to a lesser extent combat. Two Thrones added stealth sections, chariot sections, and the dark prince sections; the former is an unnecessary addition and generally forgettable while the latter two are absolutely awful. Aesthetically Two Thrones is better, but thematically the stuff with the The Dahaka in Warrior Within is much more interesting than anything in Two Thrones.

It's all subjective which is better, but one is definitely not "significantly" better.

They had a smart response to that in Two Thrones with stealth kill opportunities after optional platforming sections.

Top Bottom