• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ Jan. 2024 games: A Plague Tale: Requiem, Evil West, Nobody Saves the World

havoc00

The new monthly games have rolled out in most regions including the US. :)

xqnnz0gi60ac1.jpeg
Been wanting to play Evil West for awhile

bender

What time is it?
Evil West is pretty weird. The first thing you do is shimmy across a ledge which made me want to turn it off. For some reason, I get a lot of Outriders vibes...not so much in game play style, but in a lot of the design choices that feel pretty dated. The action seems fine and I'm only an hour in but I'm not sure I'll continue.

I also gave Nobody Saves the World a shot. I wasn't the biggest fan of the Guacamelee games but there is just something about this game this puts me off. I got the first gem fragment so I got further than I did when it was Game Pass but I think Ill put this one away for good.

Neolombax

Good month! Been dying to play Evil West, so far I'm...whelmed. Had no idea the game had such a strong emphasis on melee combat. And that's just the thing, its not as satisfying. The color oversaturation is slightly turning me off too. But I like the progression, there's a lot to unlock it seems. Will play it to the end.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Just a heads up :
Evil West is FOOKIN BORKED hardcore, as in, game uses auto-saves and they keep deleting themselves making you lose progress (obviously).
1st sitting : managed to reach chapter 3 (Renier institute), progressed through half of it, turned the game off.Boot the game 2 days later, game takes me back to the 2nd level's batman boss-fight.Reload the game, nope, still the batman boss-fight.
Go back to the main menu, check my save, says "reneier insitute", load the save, nope, still the same boss-fight.
Close the game, start the game by selecting the active card on the XMB (which btw it's the 3rd level's), game loads, nope, still the same.

Fuck it, i continue playing from that spot, manage to almost finish the 4th level, turn the game off.
Start it up the next day aaaand...the game starts from the same 2nd level boss-fight AGAIN !
Go back to the main menu, select "continue" aaaand...black screen.every.friggin'.time.

Did a quick search on the intrawebs and lo and behold, there's tens upon tens of posts regarding said problem ! How the fuck do these companies manage to release such broken products i'll never understand, fuck this shit, i must have lost 5 hours minimum and this is something that i can never get back, imagine if i actually bought the damned game, i'd be friggin' livid now.
The game was pretty much well-received, how didn't any of the "reviewers" notice such a bug...yeah

Moral of the story : don't even fookin' bother lads, this shit's broken.

Edit : Receipts

Last edited:

PanzerCute

Yeah dont play plague tale at 60, it looks bad. Its not a adhd shooter either, so 30 is perfectly fine, but 40hz mode is the best if you can use that one. Played and finished it in game pass when it came out, really enjoyed it, its an amazing looking game
People tend to forget that Plague Tale Requiem had a budget of 25 million. Like 10% of AAA game budget, and yet it obliterates a LOT of them.

Asobo are wizards.

(And the game is incredible too imo)

Darkkahn

Just a heads up :
Evil West is FOOKIN BORKED hardcore, as in, game uses auto-saves and they keep deleting themselves making you lose progress (obviously).
1st sitting : managed to reach chapter 3 (Renier institute), progressed through half of it, turned the game off.Boot the game 2 days later, game takes me back to the 2nd level's batman boss-fight.Reload the game, nope, still the batman boss-fight.
Go back to the main menu, check my save, says "reneier insitute", load the save, nope, still the same boss-fight.
Close the game, start the game by selecting the active card on the XMB (which btw it's the 3rd level's), game loads, nope, still the same.

Fuck it, i continue playing from that spot, manage to almost finish the 4th level, turn the game off.
Start it up the next day aaaand...the game starts from the same 2nd level boss-fight AGAIN !
Go back to the main menu, select "continue" aaaand...black screen.every.friggin'.time.

Did a quick search on the intrawebs and lo and behold, there's tens upon tens of posts regarding said problem ! How the fuck do these companies manage to release such broken products i'll never understand, fuck this shit, i must have lost 5 hours minimum and this is something that i can never get back, imagine if i actually bought the damned game, i'd be friggin' livid now.
The game was pretty much well-received, how didn't any of the "reviewers" notice such a bug...yeah

Moral of the story : don't even fookin' bother lads, this shit's broken.

Edit : Receipts

Oh no! Some of these reports date back to a year ago.
I was looking forward to getting the platinum in this one.
Has anybody encountered this issue on PS4?

Is Evil West worth me renewing my subscription? Been debating last few days lol.
Personally I'd say all three are worth it for a sub.

Evil West is pretty damn good action game with fun combat where the impact and sound is fantastic. The biggest downside is the story is just alright, levels tend to be on the linear side, and enemies are very damage spongey. This might sound weird, and it's probably just me, but there's something a little reminiscent of Doom about the flow and feel of combat even if it's not really being a shooter. It's also short enough if you want to jump back in for NG+ with all your toys to keep looking for stuff you missed. Probably one of the best weekend binge games to play.

saintjules

Personally I'd say all three are worth it for a sub.

Evil West is pretty damn good action game with fun combat where the impact and sound is fantastic. The biggest downside is the story is just alright, levels tend to be on the linear side, and enemies are very damage spongey. This might sound weird, and it's probably just me, but there's something a little reminiscent of Doom about the flow and feel of combat even if it's not really being a shooter. It's also short enough if you want to jump back in for NG+ with all your toys to keep looking for stuff you missed. Probably one of the best weekend binge games to play.

Yeah I had my eye on Evil West since launch and it looked great to me. Just too many games, so little time with me. I'll jump on it!

Top Bottom