• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Store Adds a New Five-Star Rating System to Score Your PS5, PS4 Games

ps-store-rating-system-1.large.jpg

Product pages on the PS Store have been given a refresh as Sony has implemented a new five-star rating system users can engage with. It's not entirely clear when this feature went live as it's only been spotted in the past 12 hours, but you can now attach a rating to the PS5, PS4 games you own.

To do so, you can head into the PS Store and select "View Product". From there, the game's current rating should appear beneath the logo, and you can select it to gain more information. The next screen reveals exactly how many ratings the title in question has received as well as a percentage breakdown of how many people voted for each score. You're only able to leave a rating for games you have purchased, downloaded, or added to your library.

ps-store-rating-system-3.large.jpg

The example above focuses on Cyberpunk 2077, revealing the RPG has so far received an overall rating of 3.79 from 37,000 users. Another is Resident Evil 4, which sits on 4.7. 84 per cent of voters awarded it five stars, and just three per cent handed it a single star.

ps-store-rating-system-4.large.jpg

Good, user feedback is always welcome. Even if it leads to some games being review bombed.
Did not even realise it was gone. Plus streams definitely showed them. I think always? At least since Plus replaced Now and I joined I saw them very much like they were in the PS3 store.

I'd want to see an option "how do my friends rate it" or better; adding some rating from a personal selection of reviewers/professional or just Jo Schmo people I can agree with to filter out the angry often insanely entitled kids giving zero stars for perfectly fine games instead of just using it for actually terrible games.
In times of youtube knowing all about me and whatnot the suggestions for recommended games the store gives is rather piss poor so far. Just because I played some mediocre games does not mean I want more of these. Or play part 4 right after playing part3 of whatever. My taste might not align with everyone else's, but in modern kinda transparent times I would expect some algorhytm should be able to know what I actually like derived from playtime and then maybe my rating. Use the god damn data collection for something.

I'd even welcome rating trophies to show which are just BS and kinda reduce my appreciation of some games. Many devs seem to be entirely clueless about trophies and what people even trophy hunters actually enjoy. Same with the size of games. Bigger is not better even if the only measure of engagement hours goes up. Some or a lot of people do it once and then say fuck that franchise.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I'm in work. Will someone check the scores for Knack and Knack II. I hope the console died on whoever gave less than 5 stars.

Dave Meltzer gave Knack II 7 stars when he played it in the Tokyo Dome.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
So THESE were the exciting new features that increased PS Plus fees were going to give us. It all makes sense now.

Fake

That's great thinking Jim. Now review bombers will have to buy a PS5 and a game to properly bomb a game.

lUZZX8I.jpg

Err... Wasn't Steam doing this for ages?

What next move you gonna praise Jim for? Giving consumers option to give games as a gift?

Last edited:

Fbh

Good first step.
Would be nice to have a proper user review system like Steam someday.

I guess it's better than the thumbs up/down Netflix uses.

Those are pretty much useless, and only for Netflix to "recommend" stuff to you.
For a few years now the percentage next to Netflix content doesn't represent that percentage of people that like it, instead it's supposed to show "how much they think it fits your taste"

Zok310

Banned
Might be better way to gauge a game as its only the folks that bought it can rate it, as opposed to open and meta critics

Did not even realise it was gone. Plus streams definitely showed them. I think always? At least since Plus replaced Now and I joined I saw them very much like they were in the PS3 store.
Are you maybe thinking of the 5 star rating prompt at the end of each game stream? I believe those are for rating the actual stream quality, not the game.

It's a shame they have to censor every dissenting opinions because it looks bad. Too many low ratings?Only Thumbs up or down, cant think critically only, only lightswitch brain mode. Then they hide all the thumb downs because of "brigading." We've had this discussion before but either allow people to have full ability to critique or not. Suppression of backlashes from consumers usually ends up backfiring, they find another avenue to express dissatisfaction, which can be worse than the original negative reviews.

This was available years ago and totally useless because you could even rate games you pre-ordered, I remember the first Destiny had something like 6000 5 star ratings a month before the game even released.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I really hope that one actually works. I couldn't even rate the games I owed, only if it was digital. This is dumb as fuck.
I have some awfull games, most of them indies. I really want to flag people into not buying them.

They need to allow people to do a sumary of why giving that star, for context.

Last edited:

skit_data

This is great news, PS Store needs more stuff like this.
Now bring separate developer/publisher pages that you can access via the games store page. Feels like an obvious win-win for customers PS, publishers and developers alike.

Top Bottom