• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Flip Top - have questions. need answers.

BuddyC

Someone traded in a PS2 with Flip Top case at my local EB today. The staff is willing to let me swap it out for mine for no charge, but I have a few questions that various websites haven't been able to clearly answer.

How exactly do I boot import games? Do I need different boot CDs for DVDs and CDs? Do I have to burn the imports? Is it worth it?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
You need the Swap Magic disks to play imports/backups. A swap magic DVD and CD disc is included for each media type of game. There might be issues with some games that won't be able to boot because of the TOC on the disc.

Once you boot up the swap magic DVD or CD, the motor will stop and on the tv screen will say insert game disc(whether it be legit import or your own backup). You remove the magic disc usign the fliptop and insert the game you want to play and press X to start. If you put your PS2 in vertical mode, it will make a humming noise because of the fliptop. I don't recommend vertical if you are using fliptop case.

tenchir

TekunoRobby said:
The hell is a fliptop? I DEMAND ANSWERS!

It's a PS2 casing that you can flip the top to get access to the CD in the PS2(instead of hitting the eject). You have to change the case, so that's why it voids the warranty. It's used to play imports and backup with SM CD, since whenever the tray is ejected, it will look for protection/region code on any PS2/PS1 games you put back in..... the flip-top will let you take out the disc without hitting the eject button.

Edit: If you don't want to use flip-top, they also sell "slide-card" that will forceably open the PS2 tray(so you won't have to use eject button). SM disc will also work with slide-card.

I have it and should have just freaking modded my ps2.

You CAN use the GS or AR to swap games, it's...well ok. I gave up when it couldn't play copies of Xenosaga, MGS2:S or the import of Soul Claibur. Downloaded games with a front loading group credtis don't work. Cd Rips don't work, copied/import ps1 games don't work. I really just gave up on it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
pirate.gif

pilonv1

Fliptops aren't worth the hassle, and aren't always compatible with some titles. A mod is better in the long run.

Top Bottom