• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 controller in hand

HyperionX

14iw8ou.jpg

It's actually pretty small. Maybe it isn't as bad as first thought?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
One good thing about those long prongs is that depending on your own comfort, you could grip it further up or down to optimise your thumbs placement on the analog stick.

I think I'll definitely have to hold this to figure out if i like it or not.

RuGalz

It's really about the size of dual shock with longer handles when you look at it in person. It's no where as bad as the pictures make you think IMO.

sol5377

from a mass market standpoint, it looks pretty damn cool and it's pretty small too. However, from a functional and hardcore gamer standpoint, it looks pretty weak, imo. I think most casuals will like it just fine.

belgurdo

Banned
human5892 said:
Holy crap, that's about half the size as I had been imagining it.

Hmm.

People were honestly thinking this thing was bigger than a Duke? I always figured it was just the dual shock with longer handles

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't care about the size, I care about the distance and angle between analog sticks, and TRIGGERS.

PS, No 60fps, no sale.

Teddman

Angry gamers will not like that thing. One good controller chucking episode and a handle is going to snap right off.

It looks flimsy and "third party esque."

human5892

Queen of Denmark
belgurdo said:
People were honestly thinking this thing was bigger than a Duke? I always figured it was just the dual shock with longer handles
Yeah, I dunno, there was something about the shape and look of it that just made me think it was really big. I'm glad I have a contextual picture to go by now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Teddman said:
Angry gamers will not like that thing. One good controller chucking episode and a handle is going to snap right off.

Don't worry, if you throw it, it'll just come right back!!1

(sorry)

Regniws

I still get the urge to take it out back and play catch with myself. They did say they wanted it to be more then a gaming system, turning it into an all out sports utility system.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's actually pretty small.
Yep, everyone who's seen it in real life has been saying so (including myself) The analog sticks size is what's confusing people - they are actually quite a bit smaller than those on DS2.

from a mass market standpoint, it looks pretty damn cool and it's pretty small too.
Maybe... People keep insisiting it looks like a bannana or boomerang, but it actualy looks more like a design representation of a crescent moon - except that of course doesn't sound very funny :p
Although, regardless of how it looks, one has to question how ergonomic that shape is.

Drexon

Banned
They couldn't keep the old design, guys. :( It's all so clear now. They had to change the rumble function, AND implement wireless. Could you imagine what a Hideous monster the DS2 would be with an extra fat bulb on its back? Think Wavebird / X360. The boomerang shape must've been a bit of a gamble, but they had to have the centralized rumble / wireless bulb on it, hence changing the shape. I think this'll alllll blow over when you'll have it in your hand. :)

Mairu

Drexon said:
They couldn't keep the old design, guys. :( It's all so clear now. They had to change the rumble function, AND implement wireless. Could you imagine what a Hideous monster the DS2 would be with an extra fat bulb on its back? Think Wavebird / X360. The boomerang shape must've been a bit of a gamble, but they had to have the centralized rumble / wireless bulb on it, hence changing the shape. I think this'll alllll blow over when you'll have it in your hand. :)
Yes, yes I can imagine it!

244011.jpg

And what I imagine is a perfect controller!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
And what I imagine is a perfect controller!
Nah. I like it, but DS2 feels a lot better and more comfortable. The battery bulge at the back of that controller is annoying, IMO even though it's not very big.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
That can't be from Sony's E3 press conference, can it (not during it, but afterwards I mean)? In that case, how the hell did they get so close to the controller?? Those men in black up on the stage flipped out as soon as you were any less than 3 feet from the PS3/controller.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That can't be from Sony's E3 press conference, can it (not during it, but afterwards I mean)? In that case, how the hell did they get so close to the controller?? Those men in black up on the stage flipped out as soon as you were any less than 3 feet from the PS3/controller.
It looks like a PS3 showroom at E3, and one of the guards is probably cleaning the dust off of it with that cloth glove.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Kiriku said:

It was on the floor during the show. Still behind glass, with minders, but this is obviously a pic of a gloved minder touching/holding the controller. No one else was able to touch it AFAIK.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

Heres the same guy plucking a helicopter from the sky right outside the convention centre.

dauphin08.jpg

Seriously though that looks about the size i expected, it looks about the same proportions button wise as the DS2, but there might be some problems with the 'handles' as they dont seem to angle down as much as DS2 (seems to me that will make it less comfortable), also the buttons actually dipping with the curve of the pad at the back isnt going to help any.

But i dunno maybe its some ergonomic masterpiece I cant even comprehend.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
marconelly said:
It looks like a PS3 showroom at E3, and one of the guards is probably cleaning the dust off of it with that cloth glove.

gofreak said:
It was on the floor during the show. Still behind glass, with minders, but this is obviously a pic of a gloved minder touching/holding the controller. No one else was able to touch it AFAIK.

Ah OK, that makes sense. They were really sensitive about it, although I can understand why. :)

dorio

Banned
Ghost said:

Heres the same guy plucking a helicopter from the sky right outside the convention centre.

dauphin08.jpg

Seriously though that looks about the size i expected, it looks about the same proportions button wise as the DS2, but there might be some problems with the 'handles' as they dont seem to angle down as much as DS2 (seems to me that will make it less comfortable), also the buttons actually dipping with the curve of the pad at the back isnt going to help any.

But i dunno maybe its some ergonomic masterpiece I cant even comprehend.
:lol That controller is puny. It went from being too big to too small. It could in the palm of my hand.

Koshiba

Though it's a little bit smaller than I had imagined, it still looks like it wouldn't be that comfortable to game with.. :/ Guess I would have to try it out myself to see though.

teiresias

"Japanese have liiiiiitle controller"

The only real beef I have with it (which admittedly might not be an issue once I'm actually able to hold the thing) is that the "angled" d-pad and buttons not only look weird to me, but seem like they'd be odd to use because the orientation is wrong. I don't know why the couldn't keep the same general shape but make the D-pad and the face button be flush along a flat surface rather than curving along onto the side of the controller.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Well, I was there and saw it up close.

It's not big or anything, its roughly the same size as what we've been using.

But still....... doesn't help it look any better.
Still ugalicious.

Amir0x

Banned
HyperionX said:

It's actually pretty small. Maybe it isn't as bad as first thought?

Where is the big version of this pic? It says it's much bigger, but the link just goes to the small thumbnail.

Top Bottom