• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 controller in hand

HokieJoe

Marconelly said:
Yep, everyone who's seen it in real life has been saying so (including myself) The analog sticks size is what's confusing people - they are actually quite a bit smaller than those on DS2.

Maybe... People keep insisiting it looks like a bannana or boomerang, but it actualy looks more like a design representation of a crescent moon - except that of course doesn't sound very funny :p
Although, regardless of how it looks, one has to question how ergonomic that shape is.

OK, I couldn't resist:

tonight_tonight.jpg

MetalAlien

Banned
Jesus my hands are going to swallow that thing.... ..I think guys like me are going to be going 3rd party on the controller.

BenT

This'll really throw a wrench in peoples' PS3 post-launch masturbation plans. Size does matter.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Amir0x said:
Your avatar is too big. 425k. Way too big, man, for poor 56k.
it is? sorry, had it for a while, nobody's complained. I'll look for something else real quick....

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
that looks way too small. but maybe it also means that the ps3 console is smaller than it looked. which would be nice.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The analog sticks look like their loose PS2 predecessors, the D-Pad is still a D-Cluster of buttons without connected guides through the diagonals, and there's still no analog buttons that give the feedback range of a trigger to the user. The controller's shape seems more preoccupied with aesthetics than ergonomics.

llTll

Banned
Ghost said:

Heres the same guy plucking a helicopter from the sky right outside the convention centre.

dauphin08.jpg

Seriously though that looks about the size i expected, it looks about the same proportions button wise as the DS2, but there might be some problems with the 'handles' as they dont seem to angle down as much as DS2 (seems to me that will make it less comfortable), also the buttons actually dipping with the curve of the pad at the back isnt going to help any.

But i dunno maybe its some ergonomic masterpiece I cant even comprehend.

loooooool :lol

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Seriously though that looks about the size i expected, it looks about the same proportions button wise as the DS2
Buttons are smaller then DS also, Gek's photoshop is pretty close to what the real thing is like.
That said, looking at it closer, I had the distinct impression this thing is purely conceptual - some buttons sticking out twice the height of others (within the same group) because of curvature, doesn't seem like something that we would see in production design.

Hyoushi

Fafalada said:
Buttons are smaller then DS also, Gek's photoshop is pretty close to what the real thing is like.
That said, looking at it closer, I had the distinct impression this thing is purely conceptual - some buttons sticking out twice the height of others (within the same group) because of curvature, doesn't seem like something that we would see in production design.
Heh!
SCEJ Technical Chief Masayuki Chatani said:
Moving away from the hard disk, Chatani is asked to comment a little on the system's controversial controller. "I don't think there will be any fundamental changes," he answers in response to a question on the possibility of changes to the controller's design, "but it's a prototype, so there could be some small adjustments."
IGN interview page

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Well that doesn't disagree with what I said - changes to actual practical implementation - the same kind of things that changed from PSP concept to PSP production model.

Hyoushi

Fafalada said:
Well that doesn't disagree with what I said - changes to actual practical implementation - the same kind of things that changed from PSP concept to PSP production model.
Ah, yes... But I just wanted to point out that it wasn't "purely conceptual". Of course, Sony do have a tendency to change their designs after seeing other ideas catch on, heh!

$64 thousand dollar question is....

Other than the obvious, wireless, is there anything in the DS3 that's extra, that would stop you using a Dual Shock 2? Does anyone know?

Some sort gyroscopic, extra button, pressure sensitive... extra.... thing.

So liksang can sell ya an adaptor, presuming the current USB adaptors don't work.

Even if I did like the DS3, takes time to wear in a new controller doesn't it? :D

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Applefiend said:
$64 thousand dollar question is....

Other than the obvious, wireless, is there anything in the DS3 that's extra, that would stop you using a Dual Shock 2? Does anyone know?

no rumble?

I wasn't worried about the size, just the shape. It looks uncomfortable, and it just looks stupid. I don't want to hold that thing.

Tellaerin

CabbageRed said:
Are they going to have to release a "Duke" version for the East?

I wouldn't mind seeing Sony release an oversized 'Type-G(inormous)' controller for those of you out there with misshapen troll paws for hands. (Fans of the original Xbox controller, I'm looking at you.) However, speaking as someone who finds the DS2 the perfect size and fit for his hands, I'd be extremely irritated if it became the default for the US. Not everyone in the West is some kielbasa-fingered freak, and I'd rather not have to pay extra for a controller I can actually use, as I was forced to with my Xbox. :p

Vormund

Tellaerin said:
I wouldn't mind seeing Sony release an oversized 'Type-G(inormous)' controller for those of you out there with misshapen troll paws for hands. (Fans of the original Xbox controller, I'm looking at you.) However, speaking as someone who finds the DS2 the perfect size and fit for his hands, I'd be extremely irritated if it became the default for the US. Not everyone in the West is some kielbasa-fingered freak, and I'd rather not have to pay extra for a controller I can actually use, as I was forced to with my Xbox. :p

I'll get you some hand cream for your little girly hands. Got to keep them supple you know. ;)

Anyway if the controller is really going to be that size I'm going to have to buy something larger...so it cuts both ways I guess.

Tellaerin

Vormund said:
I'll get you some hand cream for your little girly hands. Got to keep them supple you know. ;)

Anyway if the controller is really going to be that size I'm going to have to buy something larger...so it cuts both ways I guess.

Busting on each other aside, that raises an interesting point. Considering how much hand size varies, isn't it about time for console manufacturers to start selling their systems and controllers separately, and offer controllers in a couple of sizes?

Vormund

Yeah there definitely should be different sized controllers packaged. Simple enough, just state what's in the box.

Especially these days we have say; a 6 yr old and a 30 yr old playing games. You can't tell me one size controller is going to be ideal for both.

shpankey

not an idiot
it's hard to imagine how that boomerang could have gotten any worse, but if it really is that small.. it got MUCH worse. that's annoyingly small.

Ranger X

The size of a finger + vibration (of course) = Sony secret plan to increase their userbase by enticing women into "playing games"?

kablooey

Wow, both of the major console controllers look pretty shitty so far. Here's hoping Nintendo comes up with something (much) better.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
kablooey said:
Wow, both of the major console controllers look pretty shitty so far. Here's hoping Nintendo comes up with something (much) better.

Whaaaaaat?! The X360 controller is great.

Dragmire

People are just now (with PS3) questioning Sony's ability to make controllers? Welcome to the last ten years of my life.

Top Bottom