• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

My playstation blinks on the screen when starting up from being completely powered off, when the ps logo. On the screen it goes black a few times and then goes into the xmb, when in the xmb and in games it's fine. Does anyone else's do this?

fallingdove

My playstation blinks on the screen when starting up from being completely powered off, when the ps logo. On the screen it goes black a few times and then goes into the xmb, when in the xmb and in games it's fine. Does anyone else's do this?

Nope. HDMI issue perhaps? Try unplugging/plugging in the HDMI cable and reboot.

Zafir

I'm not sure this is the place to ask, but how does NBA 2K14 treat new players? After finishing Black Flag and completing a lot of the side quests along the way, I find very little to do in that game that keeps my interest. The DLC that just came out doesn't really interest me either.
Trading-in the game for 2K14 would lower the price of admission by a hefty sum of 43€. I've never actually followed the sport, and I don't really have much prior experience with any basketball games, though I got 2K13 for PS3 through PS+.

I really wish 2K14 had a demo.
See my post in the ps4 OT of it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How am I not being clear? Sony is still acting as a middle man to initiate the connection. Give me the ability to handle the gory technical details, if need be, so I can bypass Sony's servers for any purposes.

Surely PSN is only involved in initiating the connection (as you say), and then the actual connection is P2P between your PS4 and Vita? If so, how would it benefit you if you could remove PSN as a middleman altogether?

EGOMON

Was packing up stuff and saw my old Playstation consoles:

43ViF0.jpg

couldn't find my broken PS3 phat i know it is somewhere in my house

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm not sure this is the place to ask, but how does NBA 2K14 treat new players? After finishing Black Flag and completing a lot of the side quests along the way, I find very little to do in that game that keeps my interest. The DLC that just came out doesn't really interest me either.
Trading-in the game for 2K14 would lower the price of admission by a hefty sum of 43€. I've never actually followed the sport, and I don't really have much prior experience with any basketball games, though I got 2K13 for PS3 through PS+.

It plays like 2k13 had a dressed up hooker sister. It looks really nice but to do anything with it you need money.

My Gamer Edition / Mega bundle finally arrived :)

Celebrating by updating my old avatar to next gen!

xbO5lok.jpg

vX44yY9.jpg

Can't wait until they update the media capabilities though, can't do anything at the moment and even the functions of the Blu-ray player are very limited. On that note, they really have to patch in that the movie runs in the background. Currently you have to restart the disc (and any startup trailers etc.) if you left the movie do something else, even some of the Blu-ray options will trigger that.

My Gamer Edition / Mega bundle finally arrived :)

Celebrating by updating my old avatar to next gen!

xbO5lok.jpg

vX44yY9.jpg

Can't wait until they update the media capabilities though, can't do anything at the moment and even the functions of the Blu-ray player are very limited. On that note, they really have to patch in that the movie runs in the background. Currently you have to restart the disc (and any startup trailers etc.) if you left the movie do something else, even some of the Blu-ray options will trigger that.

That's the same face I made when I used the Dualshock 4 for the first time.

Atruvius

Just got a call that that a store has a playstation 4 for me. But now I'm having second doubts about buying the console. They said that they'd give me a few hours hours to decide :(

I've got so many games to play on PC. I just started Baldur's Gate 2. I kind of want to buy the console but feel like I shouldn't.

edit. Called the store and said I didn't want it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Seems like PS4 doesn't really suspend the game fully when you go out to the dashboard. Just been olaying zen pinball and popped out to the dashboard (I do this a lot rather than closing the app), and my PS4 fan started getting louder. I quit the app and then it quiet ended down again. So I guess it is still running in the background?

Didn't realise zen pinball has stereo 3D support. Looks really nice on some tables - the free one and plants vs zombies, not so great on the Star Wars ones.

Edit: I wish that when you put a disc in, that game would jump to the front of the queue.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Seems like PS4 doesn't really suspend the game fully when you go out to the dashboard. Just been olaying zen pinball and popped out to the dashboard (I do this a lot rather than closing the app), and my PS4 fan started getting louder. I quit the app and then it quiet ended down again. So I guess it is still running in the background?

Didn't realise zen pinball has stereo 3D support. Looks really nice on some tables - the free one and plants vs zombies, not so great on the Star Wars ones.

Edit: I wish that when you put a disc in, that game would jump to the front of the queue.
Yes if you just pop out to the dash the game keeps on running, at best it ingame pauses the game. Games don't even suspend if you Log Out FYI.

samman6

Having not played BBall game in about 10 years, this game is hard for newbies, the controls are nice and responsive, but hard to really master I have found, still having troubles with my jump shot timing and doing the moves with the right stick. The graphics are outrageously good and the presentation in game is slick, feels like I'm playing TV.

:3

Adorable.

need such a Christmas outfit though haha

Where did you get your Toro? I've never been successful finding any Toro stuff during my trips, but I didn't have the slightest idea where to look in the first place.

Actually I bought him on ebay back then. Not sure if it was an ebay outlet or just some guy, but it was basically the official Toro merchandise stuff bought in Japan to sell it on ebay internationally. Not really a cheap way (20€? can't remember).

Erban1

Quick question: I'm meeting with a craigslister this afternoon to buy a ps4, just so I know the unit hasn't been tampered with, is the box sealed in a special way?

Also I'll be splitting time between killzone, battlefield and 2k14, if anyone wants to play my psn is: Moneyman232

Blastoise

Banned
Quick question: I'm meeting with a craigslister this afternoon to buy a ps4, just so I know the unit hasn't been tampered with, is the box sealed in a special way?

Also I'll be splitting time between killzone, battlefield and 2k14, if anyone wants to play my psn is: Moneyman232

R.I.P

special blue tap on the box. you have to look at it since you can easily remove it and still stick it back on like no one opened it yet.

bring some dust and check for fingerprints.

shwimpy

Do the transaction in front of a police station.

Man

I can't help but think that Media Molecule and a PS4 VR headset will become the perfect storm next Xmas. Tearaway is good, good stuff. If anyone can capture peoples imagination it's MM.

My ps4 is connected via wifi and its barely working.it worked fine for awhile but now no games online work just impossible lag.. I tested the network on my ps and my download is 488kbs and upload 43kbs.. This changes constantly though. Just did a bunch of speed tests on wifi on my mobile next to the ps and was getting about max speed..

Anyway to improve this? Help please

Replicant

My ps4 is connected via wifi and its barely working.it worked fine for awhile but now no games online work just impossible lag.. I tested the network on my ps and my download is 488kbs and upload 43kbs.. This changes constantly though. Just did a bunch of speed tests on wifi on my mobile next to the ps and was getting about max speed..

Also i checked the Signal strength on the ps and its 86-90%.. So its not the signal.. What else could it be?

It's probably just PSN being slow at the moment. Try it again later and see if the speed improves.

Marco1

I have an issue were I get servers not available notifications but my PS4 is still DL'ing in the background.
The only thing that fixes it is testing the wifi connection on the network settings.
It seems I am getting random PSN disconnects.

It's probably just PSN being slow at the moment. Try it again later and see if the speed improves.
Its been happening over a couple days.. Every time.. fixed it finally.. For now anyways.. I changed.my router to N only and changed the channel to 11.. Finally can play games again..

Super late but open the box before you give the money. Don't be the guy who payed 500 for a box of towels

What's the next PSN title to come out? I really don't want this thing to collect dust for months but there's just nothing on it.

Putty Squad managed to somehow miss being a Vita launch title and a PS4 launch title... lol

Jagxyz

Crap, music unlimited just auto renewed. Totally forgot I had even activated the trial that came with the console, ugh. Any chance I can get that refunded? I literally used it for like 5 minutes then forgot about it.

It's my fault for not knowing that there'd be auto renewal, but I was planning on getting some dcuo stuff. ugh.

Rey

Is it normal that 50% of the time the Playstation Store doesn't work on PS4? I mean, the console is out for how many weeks now? When are they planning to fix this shit?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Crap, music unlimited just auto renewed. Totally forgot I had even activated the trial that came with the console, ugh. Any chance I can get that refunded? I literally used it for like 5 minutes then forgot about it.

It's my fault for not knowing that there'd be auto renewal, but I was planning on getting some dcuo stuff. ugh.

A friend once had PS+ auto-renew on him and did get a refund by calling support ASAP, as soon as they were open in his region.

They gave him a one-time grace refund for it being an honest mistake.

Gamespawn

Okay, maybe someone here can answer this questions for me. In the live stream section, there are now streams that show up in the interactive section. They're all playing the new DW game and everythings japanese. Are they devs, and what are the options under interactive for?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Okay, maybe someone here can answer this questions for me. In the live stream section, there are now streams that show up in the interactive section. They're all playing the new DW game and everythings japanese. Are they devs, and what are the options under interactive for?
It's the Asia/Taiwan release. They're basically health items you can spawn etc. posted about it earlier in this thread but can't dig up the post on mobile.

nampad

So does the PSN suck today or is the problem on my side?

Also, one of my controllers is already showing the analog stick problem after not even 10 hours of usage :(

Played it out for several hours last night, and today. Just some thoughts.

- Console was heftier than it looked on pictures. Still a very sleek design.
- Controller was all-around excellent. I didn't quite enjoy the 'feel' of the material used on the thumbsticks though, a little too rubbery for my taste. ( actually prefer the harder smooth feel that DS3 had )
- Earpiece sucked. Put it in a closet 10 seconds after trying to put it in my ear. No-fit.
- The UI experience was pretty good. Everything flowed smoothly, and the ambience + music actually got me in the mood instead of what I thought may annoy me. Granted, stuf that needing loading was still sketchy depending on your connection ( Store, Whats New, etc ), but the foundation was solid.
- As expected, media functions was barebone for an MY account. Only one service was available ( NBA Jam ). On the bright side, I don't have even Sony's Unlimited Services clogging up the main menu.

Games:
- Resogun is awesome. Unf.
- Killzone looks great, as expected. However, even 3 chapters in, I do get what some complaints are about the single-player. It does feel like Guerilla had good ideas, but didn't have someone to frame those ideas into something great in both the final storyboard and level-design. No trying out MP yet.

cheezcake

Keep reading Amazon and Best Buy etc will have x stock on this date or that it's just back in stock. Australia, nothing.

Just get it from Amazon and replace the power cord with a standard Aus figure 8 cable, that's what I'm planning to do. The only region functionality you miss out on is you can't play region-locked blu-ray movies, but not many blu-rays are region locked anyway these days

spats

Where did you get your Toro? I've never been successful finding any Toro stuff during my trips, but I didn't have the slightest idea where to look in the first place.

I have a bunch of Toro stuff, including a similar plushie to the one above except mine has a blue bandana on his head. Most of the big toy shops in Akihabara have SCE merch like Toro plushies, Toro Revoltech figures, watches, cases etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
When you get a name request from someone, if you accept, does it automatically show you their name too? I kinda think it should show their name when they request it, otherwise it seems very one-sided

Whooter

When you get a name request from someone, if you accept, does it automatically show you their name too? I kinda think it should show their name when they request it, otherwise it seems very one-sided

Yes, you do. Why? They don't see your real name until you accept the request, either. Seems fair.

Personally, I don't accept Real Name requests unless it's coming from someone I already know. I wouldn't accept it from some random shmoe I met in BF4.

Top Bottom