• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Crashes & Artifacting More Widespread Than Previously Expected

FranXico

Yeah right... like I said, it doesn't take more than a few year old kid to count that one is lesser than many.
You forgot the disc scratching drives, defective power bricks, etc. etc.

One MAJOR and highly recurrent issue that kills most consoles is much worse than a number of much less common issues, and not critical at that.

But keep counting tweets and rewriting history.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
LOL. Just a manufacturing flaw that impacted 54% of the consoles during release period.
RRoD wasn't manufacturing but design flaw. Huge difference. And that design flaw was caused by engineers (whole industry) didn't fully understanding differences and problems of using lead free solder, which usage was mandated in many countries. Sony was lucky they released PS3 year later because they would have same problem
Scratching drives were design problem too. Or actually usage problem. AFAIR it happened only when you moved powered on console with disk spinning in it.

ZywyPL

Banned
You forgot the disc scratching drives, defective power bricks, etc. etc.

One MAJOR and highly recurrent issue that kills most consoles is much worse than a number of much less common issues, and not critical at that.

But keep counting tweets and rewriting history.

Keep goalpost shifting you mean... I see people get angry whenever someone says the PS5 has more issues than X360, but quantity-wise, that's totally correct, it's a simple math which kids learn about in first year of primary school, maybe some guys here need to go back and relearn the stuff, I don't know. Now If we're talking about the sheer impact of the issues, then yes, X360 nad one flaw, but a fatal one, and very widespread on top of that.

cireza

I don't understand the issue here. My PS5 crashed 5 times, I had to disable Rest Mode, my controllers don't charge, I lost all my PS4 saves, I get black pictures every once in a while and get artifacts when I play Demon's Souls.

But other than that, honestly, everything is fine and the console is awesome.

This is a joke post.

Sorry to dig up a necro thread but couldn't find anything else regarding this issue.

Are people still experiencing hard crashes? I got my PS5 on Saturday and yesterday it hard locked and had to reboot and "repair". I have an external HDD plugged in with PS4 games on it but no ps4 games on the internal drive.

Its only happened once but its still a bit concerning.

NEbeast

who cares seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The only issue I've had is that Crash Nsane Trilogy crashed the first time I launched it. Like right after I pressed Play. I tried again and it worked.

Neofire

I'm guessing tons of people having these issues are the ones cramming these things into entertainment centers because "it fits" without realizing this machine needs fresh air in and out.
Facts because I've never ever had any issues or the people I know with one have these issue.

ManaByte

I'm guessing tons of people having these issues are the ones cramming these things into entertainment centers because "it fits" without realizing this machine needs fresh air in and out.

The way the airflow works on the system, the rear of it needs exposure. So people cramming it into an entertainment center with a backing on it isn't a good idea.

jaysius

Banned
The way the airflow works on the system, the rear of it needs exposure. So people cramming it into an entertainment center with a backing on it isn't a good idea.
Yes, also it needs the front also, if it's crammed into a small space that's enclosed on the front the ambient hot air that the machine is producing will end up going back in the front. The safety manual that it comes with that nobody reads (I've quoted because people were smothering their machines and saying I was being a fanboi) the manual states it needs clearance all around that's front and back and top(if placed horizontal). The hot spots are dealt with by the fans, but ambient heats still ends up dissipating though the sides.

Don't smother your machines they're not into S&M.

Reactions: TLZ
I have had a launch unit since mid November, it sits behind the oled which is catty-cornered, plus I know 3 other people who have not had any issues, not saying that people don't have issues, but if issues were widespread, I think I'd see at least mine or the three other people I personally know have an issue.

Garani

I have mine in a "cramped" area, though it gets plenty of air from the front (it's open) and can expel from the back. But still, it's not in open air.

Well, my son uses is about 3 hrs per day, mostly with PS4 BC, and had no issues. Now, between the two of us, we are basically playing R&C a good 3 hrs each, and it is starting to get hot in the "bottom" part of the box and the fan has picked up a bit. But we have never, EVER had any thermal issue reported to us and we have no freezes whatsoever. And it's summer and the ambient temperature is around 25°C.

We did have a glitch on R&C (my son basically got into an infinite drop and the PS5 did not manage to restart the game, but whatever: a manual reboot and the machine was working just as fine.

jaysius

Banned
I have mine in a "cramped" area, though it gets plenty of air from the front (it's open) and can expel from the back. But still, it's not in open air.

Well, my son uses is about 3 hrs per day, mostly with PS4 BC, and had no issues. Now, between the two of us, we are basically playing R&C a good 3 hrs each, and it is starting to get hot in the "bottom" part of the box and the fan has picked up a bit. But we have never, EVER had any thermal issue reported to us and we have no freezes whatsoever. And it's summer and the ambient temperature is around 25°C.

We did have a glitch on R&C (my son basically got into an infinite drop and the PS5 did not manage to restart the game, but whatever: a manual reboot and the machine was working just as fine.
For now, you keep it there for a year with a game with heavier use and you'll have some real issues.

It’s like refusing to ever change the oil in your car and then saying: “I haven’t had any problems yet”.

Last edited:

Garani

For now, you keep it there for a year with a game with heavier use and you'll have some real issues.

It’s like refusing to ever change the oil in your car and then saying: “I haven’t had any problems yet”.
No, it isn't and there is no other place: it's either there or out of the house. And this is pretty much the same setup for everyone.

The box is fine, runs within spec, and it does get clean air from the front (it's open) and expells it from the back (it's open as well). It's not able to expel heat through from the pannel, but it has been shown that they already act as an insulator. It's meant to work that way to channel air in the box. The underside where the disk is, is totally cool.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Worst issue I have had aside from minor coil whine is that every now and then updates/games on a HDD refuse to download till I move them to internal storage, although I have yet to have this happen since the latest update.

SpokkX

I think the main problem sony has with ps5 hw is the storage expansion

they might have a hw issue there, since they already talked publicly about needing to increase the fan speed for storage expansion. This means only one thing - they have detected cooling issues. This is an obvious oversight/design miss. We will see how much they need to spin up the fan - hope it is not ps4 pro levels at least…

Last edited:

Tomeru

Mine sits upright next to my monitor, and since summer is just starting Im thinking about removing the face plates (or just one) and let it breath more. No issies so far otherwise 🤞

Last edited:

TonyK

Unprecedent... No one I know with PS5 have a single problem. Obviously always will be people with problems, but that article is so alarmist.

Jokerevo

Banned

"PS5 owners are experiencing widespread graphical issues rendering their consoles useless, and the only fix is to return or exchange their PlayStation.

Sony's current-gen console seems to come with a few unsolicited issues, one of which causes graphical artifacting, green screen errors, and can even cause the PlayStation 5 to crash. These issues are more common on PC's due to overclocking the computer's GPU, but a console such as the PS5 should not be experiencing these types of issues.

Gamers have reported an unprecedented number of software and hardware issues with their PS5s after having launched less than a week ago, ranging from minor annoyances to system-breaking bugs. Players have reported PS5 Dualsense controllers not charging when the console is in rest mode, slower physical physical games installation when connected to the internet for some reason, and a larger issue that froze game downloads indefinitely, the lattermost of which was thankfully addressed in a recent update. These are a few of the various inconveniences that have come with the PS5 free of charge, and the laundry list of issues keeps growing.
Hahahhahahhahahahahhahahahha

Kilau

Worst issue I have had aside from minor coil whine is that every now and then updates/games on a HDD refuse to download till I move them to internal storage, although I have yet to have this happen since the latest update.
I had that issue aswell but I think it was because the PS5 was turning power off to the USB ports so the drive wasn’t getting power when updates triggered. I used the optional power port on my enclosure into a powered hub and that seemed to have fixed it.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
My friend's ps5 keeps freezing he has to unplug it. Happened during returnal and now ratchet for him
I had one freeze with Returnal but I put that down to shoddy work from housemarque, even my PS4 froze a few times and that still works now, technology is just strange sometimes.

Top Bottom