• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi Survivor Performance Review - PS5 vs PC vs Xbox Series X|S (NXGamer)

Darsxx82

600p in Performance and drops to 15 fps in Quality.

Michael Jordan Lol GIF by ESPN

Just think of the number of attacks and emois I have received in this thread for coming to doubt the fidelity to the reality of the NXG analysis knowing of other analyzes and experiences of those who played it.....🤗

The fact is that I am not glad that I ended up being right, it is quite the opposite. The console version still needs a lot of work and, with the PC situation, I think it will take much longer than I thought. .

PS. Also correct with the resolution. When using FSR2 and You have these IQ en both modes, I highly doubted that NXG's base resolution was true...

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The game has potential, and I do applaud Respawn for embedding significant next gen features like RTGI and RT reflections as opposed to treating them as an afterthought. But performance simply isn't good enough for me to dive in. This should also be an eye opener for those here who were obsessed with FSR 2 and wanted the technique to be implemented in every damn game. It is not the miracle tech you thought it was.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Man... that DF video. sub 720p in performance mode. wtf are the devs doing. This doesnt look that good.
FSR2 should be banned and burned. It looks so terrible on consoles. The image breakup is terrible. Just make the game lower res and use good stable TAA. MAAAYBE checkerboard upscale. FSR2 is just so pixelated... like what are we doing here. how is this any better

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just think of the number of attacks and emois I have received in this thread for coming to doubt the fidelity to the reality of the NXG analysis knowing of other analyzes and experiences of those who played it.....🤗

The fact is that I am not glad that I ended up being right, it is quite the opposite. The console version still needs a lot of work and, with the PC situation, I think it will take much longer than I thought. .

PS. Also correct with the resolution. When using FSR2 and You have these IQ en both modes, I highly doubted that NXG's base resolution was true...

I'm sorry but Michael is an embarrassment.

He isn't a real tech guy and I think his embarrassing video and incorrect resolutions show how clueless he is.

Last edited:

skneogaf

People really need to stick together and refund games that are releasing like this, it's the only way they will learn as money talks.

Mr Moose

I'm sorry but Michael is an embarrassment.

He isn't a real tech guy and I think his embarrassing video and incorrect resolutions show how clueless he is.
fsr2_qualitymodes.png

Performance mode on PS5 and Series X targets 2048 x 1152 and 60 FPS. This resolution setting is closer to 1440p FSR 2 Balanced on PC with DRS.
1152 x 1.7
648 x 1.7
1958x1101.
That's not far off 2048 x 1152.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
600p is giving me series S flashbacks. Absolutely insane stuff. Surely the devs should've stopped at having to drop resolution to 600p and said, hey maybe, this console cant handle RT. Just maybe.

Even the resolution mode drops all the way down to what? 872p? WTF are we doing here? Tom had a RTGI comparison showing the difference and I honestly couldnt tell looking at it for 10 full seconds. RT Reflections are obvious but im playing on PC and they arent needed tbh. The difference is so minimal, im baffled by their decision to make this an RT game with RTGI, shadows and reflections.

Embarrassing stuff by Respawn. Game should not be dropping to 17 fps. My friend who is playing on PS5 in resolution mode told me it was dropping below 20. When i posted that here, a couple of guys told me I was wrong. Well, this proves my friend right.

BTW, On PC, those open world areas drop frames like a motherfucker. I hate everything about that open world. The game is fine in dungeons and smaller caves but that fucking open world just chugs and stutters so much it gives me motion sickness. Just got my chocobo and its a fucking disaster traversing that world even at a locked 40 fps. There is just something really off about this game.

P.S If my 3080 can do native 4k 35 fps in the open world at max settings with no RT, the PS5 should be able hit 1440p 30 fps without needing any kind of upscaling. They should turn off RT and get rid of FSR for the resolution mode.

Mr Moose

600p is giving me series S flashbacks. Absolutely insane stuff. Surely the devs should've stopped at having to drop resolution to 600p and said, hey maybe, this console cant handle RT. Just maybe.

Even the resolution mode drops all the way down to what? 872p? WTF are we doing here? Tom had a RTGI comparison showing the difference and I honestly couldnt tell looking at it for 10 full seconds. RT Reflections are obvious but im playing on PC and they arent needed tbh. The difference is so minimal, im baffled by their decision to make this an RT game with RTGI, shadows and reflections.

Embarrassing stuff by Respawn. Game should not be dropping to 17 fps. My friend who is playing on PS5 in resolution mode told me it was dropping below 20. When i posted that here, a couple of guys told me I was wrong. Well, this proves my friend right.

BTW, On PC, those open world areas drop frames like a motherfucker. I hate everything about that open world. The game is fine in dungeons and smaller caves but that fucking open world just chugs and stutters so much it gives me motion sickness. Just got my chocobo and its a fucking disaster traversing that world even at a locked 40 fps. There is just something really off about this game.

P.S If my 3080 can do native 4k 35 fps in the open world at max settings with no RT, the PS5 should be able hit 1440p 30 fps without needing any kind of upscaling. They should turn off RT and get rid of FSR for the resolution mode.
Oh it is Tom, ignore the resolutions then and wait for VGTech, Tom is blind as fuck.

b0uncyfr0

Just dont buy it yet ppl - it does look quite good so it has that going for it.

Ill wait for a solid 55-60 fps on series X, especially since it might come to gamepass earlier if it doesnt sell as much.

SlimySnake

I said this as a joke in some other thread but I really AM thinking of throwing my series x out the window
This game makes me want to burn my RTX 3080 alive.

It's not your console, it's the game. yes, the PS5, XSX and AMD cards suck at RT, but even without RT, this game chugs like a little bitch. I am guessing they are doing some dumb shit behind the scenes like loading or streaming the next level and doing a very poor job of it.

dotnotbot

Remember guys, don't bother with PC, better go get the PS5 version 😂

1-Star-Wars-Jedi-Survivor-PS5-Stunning-Visuals-Compelling-Gameplay-But-What-About-Perf-You-Tube-y-3.png

Yeah, in this case even the console version is terrible. But it's very rare for AAA titles. Usually even if it looks bad on console, at least the performance is good enough and most games don't suffer from stuttering.

Last edited:

Killer8

The game does not have 'stunning visuals', sorry Digital Foundry. It looks like an amped up Unreal Engine 4 game with some ray-tracing bolted on, because that's exactly what it is.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart looks dramatically better with a similar setting, has ray-tracing at 60fps, and doesn't render at an embarassing resolution. And that came out 2 years ago.

Wasn't there a narrative saying Xbox Series hardware would start to shine once games would become next-gen only?

Because here in a big next-gen only RT game, developed by a US company, PS5 runs 22% better and with much less traversal stutters according to others sources.
We are using a buggy and in many cases broken game as a way to judge system power now?

Darsxx82

Safe to say you can add this uploader to the do not trust pile.

O

I did not indicate that source because it was more or less credible, I put it as an example of the many others on youtube that did not match the NXG analysis.

The fact is that this analysis shows examples that the game in quality mode was not stable and the drops to 20fps. In fact, it is also more accurate than NXG when it comes to pointing out the minimum base resolution of both modes.
I could have put as many others but here someone is prejudiced against anyone other than DF, VGtech or NXG.

That said, the credibility or not of a source should be up to each person. Otherwise today we could say that NXG is not credible and I don't think that was fair either.

h it is Tom, ignore the resolutions then and wait for VGTech, Tom is blind as fuck.

Alex has confirmed that resolution on consoles as well.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I wouldnt start laughing until the xsx results come in. other places have said that xsx only has a slightly higher resolution average. but framerate is worse on the xsx.

But yes, this is not a win for anyone. we all lose.

I'm not expecting the xbox to be any better at all, but the digital foundry video is about the ps5 and I would love to hear Lysandros Lysandros O onQ123 thoughts on what's wrong with the ps5s architecture or API to literally be providing sub 720p in 2023......at as low as 15 fps and consistently below VRR range with tearing.

These are the true next gen console games coming now and these consoles are getting crippled....

Or is it a bad release?

Sub 720p man, sub 720p....

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What do you think?

I think it's a true next gen game and these consoles have been laughing along for 3 years while they deliver ps4 and xbox one games...now real next gen games are coming and these devs are struggling to get to grips with getting them running.

I think the game is coming in crazy hot and it is not a reflection of what the machines can do, it will run a lot better in the coming weeks and months....so ultimately, I think this game is not a testament to what the consoles can do...but I think its obvious that true next gen features like raytracing destroy these machines.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
And we got users like Lysandros Lysandros Trying to paint this as a win for ps5.....

Holy shit 😄

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU
are we really at that level where we just point fingers and laugh at eachother when really the devs are just laughing at all of us? the game runs like shit ON ALL platforms, there are no winning sides here, apart from EA and Respawn who rushed out a half baked game in terms of optimisation and ended up still getting copious amounts of people's hard earned money as game devs/publishers continue to be shady assholes during marketing schedules instead of just being truthful.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
are we really at that level where we just point fingers and laugh at eachother when really the devs are just laughing at all of us? the game runs like shit ON ALL platforms, there are no winning sides here, apart from EA and Respawn who rushed out a half baked game in terms of optimisation and ended up still getting copious amounts of people's hard earned money as game devs/publishers continue to be shady assholes during marketing schedules instead of just being truthful.

This is exactly what I'm saying. The game is shit on all platforms,s, but we have the usual users talking about what's wrong with the xbox dev environment or hardware to cause this, when a 12900k with a 4090 isn't getting 60fps.....like there is anything to do with anything but poor optimisation and development.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
This is exactly what I'm saying. The game is shit on all platforms,s, but we have the usual users talking about what's wrong with the xbox dev environment or hardware to cause this, when a 12900k with a 4090 isn't getting 60fps.....like there is anything to do with anything but poor optimisation and development.
My apologies, I was back tracking through the thread so only just caught up with your response to SlimySnake SlimySnake , my post was not aimed just at you, I'm also talking about the people who are trying to show off an average frame rate of 48-52fps at 700p as a "win" for PS5 against Xbox. Communities like ours are filled with tribalists who waste so much energy and spend so much of their attention on putting one platform above the other that they don't see the actual issues plaguing our industry.

People need to make a stand about games like this or we'll soon be flooded with even more games like this (as if we don't have enough of them already), it's brutally depressing that when the industry should be at an all time high when you look at the talent of developers, the variety of titles and the technology available, that it's sadly filled with such deplorable actions like AAA games being pushed out in half baked states, marketing teams blatantly lying to fans/media, and companies like Xbox and Sony getting in petty wars of acquisitions instead of just actually improving/utilising the assets they have.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I think it's a true next gen game and these consoles have been laughing along for 3 years while they deliver ps4 and xbox one games...now real next gen games are coming and these devs are struggling to get to grips with getting them running.

I think the game is coming in crazy hot and it is not a reflection of what the machines can do, it will run a lot better in the coming weeks and months....so ultimately, I think this game is not a testament to what the consoles can do...but I thinkmitsmobviousnthatbtrue next gen features like raytracing destroy these machines.
I think the game is last gen as fuck. They have bolted on RT features just to fool people into thinking this is next gen. They have done a remarkably poor job of streaming in these levels since you will get the same stutter every time you go through a level. The game is CPU bound on PC, and likely on consoles which is limiting the console's full potential. I know the game is a mess on my PC with 1440p dropping frames no matter what I do with the settings. Turn off RT, change settings from Epic to High, turn on FSR, reduce resolution, it will drop frames every time. Thats a sign of poor coding, not particularly the hardware.

There is nothing next gen about Hogwarts, Forspoken, Need For Speed, Dead Space and Star Wars. RDR2, Callisto, Horizon, Guardians, Forza Horizon 5 all look better than these fake last gen games.

GHG

Remember guys, don't bother with PC, better go get the PS5 version 😂

1-Star-Wars-Jedi-Survivor-PS5-Stunning-Visuals-Compelling-Gameplay-But-What-About-Perf-You-Tube-y-3.png

I questioned that ridiculous stance just yesterday. You've got people with 3080's and above saying they would rather play the console versions. Just why?

Didn't take long for it to fall flat on it's face.

It's like some people are so allergic to settings menus that they would rather settle for... 864p? Absolutely laughable.

Buggy Loop

I questioned that ridiculous stance just yesterday. You've got people with 3080's and above saying they would rather play the console versions. Just why?

Didn't take long for it to fall flat on it's face.

It's like some people are so allergic to settings menus that they would rather settle for... 864p? Absolutely laughable.

There’s never such a case where you have a 3080 rig and would pick consoles, unless it was like, at launch problems that are not appearing on consoles, but that’s just momentarily, typically.

I think peoples are pretending to have that rig and then say « I’ll go console » for warring

Last edited:

GHG

There’s never such a case where you have a 3080 rig and would pick consoles, unless it was like, at launch problems that are not appearing on consoles, but that’s just momentarily, typically.

I think peoples are pretending to have that rig and then say « I’ll go console » for warring

I don't get the mentality at all. In my case I'm happy to sit it out and wait for it to be fixed and ideally for it to be on sale. Why should I reward their shit product via another avenue (and still ultimely end up with a shit product, just one I have less control of)?

I've had a great time this weekend predominantly playing a bunch of stuff on the steam deck in the meantime. I have a ton of stuff in my library I'm either yet to dig into or haven't given enough time to yet and I'm sure most people here are the same. So I really don't understand the need to succumb to FOMO, and then to do so in the worst way possible.

Bojji

I think the game is coming in crazy hot and it is not a reflection of what the machines can do, it will run a lot better in the coming weeks and months....so ultimately, I think this game is not a testament to what the consoles can do...but I think its obvious that true next gen features like raytracing destroy these machines.

There is not much next gen about this game, it only proves once again that UE4 was ok for limited PS4 games but when scaled up is just breaks apart. Ratchet Rift apart had similar levels to this game and runs beautifully with ray tracing. Horizon looked like crap on release on performance mode (now fixed) but at least framerate was very solid. Now this look like shit and perform like shit.

UE4 needs to be dropped, fast.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Something is not right with that video.
It has the game running at 55fps @4k with RT.

But here it's 24fps.
JX5gtk3.jpg

Running out of VRAM effects more than just frame rate, it effects textures and can cause stutters.

What's funny is you went to the same source were I got the VRAM usage to try and prove me wrong.
llzT9lW.jpg

Maybe you should take this up with Techpowerup and not me.
Because it's entirely dependent on where you test the game. The second planet apparently performs much, much worse than the first one because it's a large open-world. At 4K, the performance absolutely tanks there but Techpowerup still shows the performance graphs being good at 1080p and 1440p. At 4K, it immensely suffers and there is likely a VRAM bottleneck in addition to other bottlenecks there.

I already explained to you why just reading the VRAM usage is wrong. Test it yourself, take an 8GB card and a 16GB card, you'll get different VRAM readings. My guess is they got those numbers from something like a 4090 or 7900 XT, not a 3070.

Here for instance, the 6800 XT consistently reports 500MB more than the 3080.

RTX_3080_vs_6800_VRAM.PNG

And Techpowerup are the same fools who were pairing an RTX 4090 with a mid-tier Zen 3 CPU and getting results like 10-20% lower than everyone else. Hardware Unboxed also haven't noticed a VRAM bottleneck.

The game has potential, and I do applaud Respawn for embedding significant next gen features like RTGI and RT reflections as opposed to treating them as an afterthought. But performance simply isn't good enough for me to dive in. This should also be an eye opener for those here who were obsessed with FSR 2 and wanted the technique to be implemented in every damn game. It is not the miracle tech you thought it was.

It doesn't have rt gi and yes. Fsr 2.1 is SHIT, because these developers use it to upscale from such low native resolutions. Every game on ps5 that I've played with fsr has been pretty awful- dying light 2, Dead space, cyberpunk all have really low res looking performance modes.

I swear fsr made cyberpunk look worse but for some strange reason people decided it looks better than before it was added. It doesn't! Look at the artifacting it created on roads for example.

People jumped on the bandwagon because it's a new tech and we were desperate for a solution "like dlss" on console. If the base resolution is high, like 1440p and above, fsr can work but if it's 1080p or below it looks terrible!

One note to add though- it's on developers to know that fsr doesn't work well using low native resolutions. It's their fucking jobs to know this but they keep using it. Much the same way having RT reflections and RT AO on jedi survivor's performance mode was a bad idea, it seems having the latest buzzword technology is all that matters.

If they had ALSO included a mode without RT, IT WOULDVE SOLVED ALL THIS GAMES PROBLEMS in performance mode! Better framerate and a higher base resolution without the need for FSR

Incompetence plus rushed launches=a string of awful "Next gen only games".

Last edited:

Captn

I think is that the high end GPU is not getting scaled properly by developers due to Engine limitations and CPU bottleneck. If you see performance of RTX 3060 on 4K with DLSS on or FSR you will get very similar or even better experience than PS5 or Xbox X series. The problems is on scalability of High GPU, which is chocked by CPU Limitations, Driver overhead+OS overheads and that is you see on lower resolution even at times RTX 3060 gets chocked even if you have high end CPU (Uncharted and Dead Space Remake) on 1080p, but when the resolution is at 4K you will very much similar performance or better than PS5. Therefore, this generation is all about CPU domination as GPU segment has reached it breaking point the more high end launches than you will more disappointment and more scalability issue.
My 7950x runs all threads in the game at a total use of a steady 25-30%

My 4090 runs at an average of 90-100%

4k Maxing out the settings + RT + FSR Quality

Performance was all over the place on the intro level. Like between 55-80 average with dips in the 30's in some areas.

Once I got on the first planet in the open world, it skyrocketed to 100-120 lolll

I don't understand this wizardry!

Game is a looker though.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Artifacts showed on DF video look insanely bad. Once you know what to look for it's so distracting, especially around the main character that it's almost unbearable.

Last edited:
I don't get the mentality at all. In my case I'm happy to sit it out and wait for it to be fixed and ideally for it to be on sale. Why should I reward their shit product via another avenue (and still ultimely end up with a shit product, just one I have less control of)?

I've had a great time this weekend predominantly playing a bunch of stuff on the steam deck in the meantime. I have a ton of stuff in my library I'm either yet to dig into or haven't given enough time to yet and I'm sure most people here are the same. So I really don't understand the need to succumb to FOMO, and then to do so in the worst way possible.

The thing that worries me about these types of uniptomized releases is that the devs, in their rush to get it out the door, have set up limitations already and even if they manage to improve things they'll still be working within the confines of the low resolution parameters they've set up. I'm talking about console btw.

If I was on PC with a good rig I would be be worried at all, especially after the devs made statements specifically focusing on PC. You guys have all possible configurations of settings at your disposal, you just have to wait for optimization and then tweak to your liking.

Consoles are where the concern truly lies because a) they didn't even mention the consoles and b) they decided on a sub 1080p dynamic res scaling "performance mode" with fsr 2.1 and stupidly included 2 forms of RT with no option to disable rt!

Even if they optimize the shit out of the performance mode on console we'll be stuck with a low res, grainy piece of shit mode, it'll just run closer to 60 fps.

PC guys have nothing to worry about. As much as I can't stand Alex, I wish we had guys like him to make videos that really call out console ports and lay into the devs like he did w/Jedi! Instead df just sugarcoats console performance and same with NX Gamer.

Same situation happened with Elden Ring ...anyone remember? It was the PC owners who screamed the loudest and as a result the developers made an official post acknowledging the need to fix the PC. No mention of the console and here we are a year later and the console version still runs like shit.

I get that when someone pays $3000 they're more likely to get pissed off. Still, how many console owners spent $2000 on a high end TV plus $550 and maybe own both next gen consoles? We have good reason to have someone at Digital Foundry make a video like the one Alex made ..but it never happens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom