• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Sales Comparison - June 2021 - Sales

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
There is not possible imo.
What many chips do you believe blade servers uses? 1k, 2k, 5k? That is a very minor part of MS shipment... they are shipping around 1 million units each quarter.
5k blade servers to support 22 countries? I believe you're undershooting by a wide margin.

I don't trust VGChartz but its obvious to anyone that Playstation would be leading the sales strongly. I don't get why people are patting themselves on the back here though..... Do people here have shares???

Last edited:

Duchess

You'd have a point if it were just console sales for Series X|S. It isn't though . Only Sony and Nintendo still roll via console sales. In fact, isn't counting merely console sales kind of archaic??

Tom Cruise What GIF

Renozokii

Not sure if this had been posted already, but kind of impressive that X/S is ahead of XB1 by 1+ million units.
Xb1 had a literal pr shit storm before launch and changed the fundamentals of the product before launch. Gaming industry has grown so much too. These sales are mediocre at best.

Again to me hardware sales mean shit until people can walk into stores and buy them off the shelves WORLDWIDE

Then I still expect PS5 to rule the sales charts but then its not supply constrained
I agree, I don't see PS5 losing ground no matter how much some in the gaming media wish for it to happen but when both companies are selling everything they make what's the point of comparing? XSX/XSS beat PS5 in the US last month because MS shipped more consoles than Sony did.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
No, sales matter as much as it always did. MS wants you to believe it doesn't since they are in last place.
Dude?! What the he'll?! The Series consoles are a part of the over all platform. Not THE platform like with Sony and Nintendo. I bet they have more GP subscribers than consoles sold at this point. And GP is damn near on all platforms aside from direct competition. Again, mere consoles sold isn't telling the full picture in Microsofts case. That's not Xbox misdirection. That's just a fact.

Shmunter

Dude?! What the he'll?! The Series consoles are a part of the over all platform. Not THE platform like with Sony and Nintendo. I bet they have more GP subscribers than consoles sold at this point. And GP is damn near on all platforms aside from direct competition. Again, mere consoles sold isn't telling the full picture in Microsofts case. That's not Xbox misdirection. That's just a fact.
Yeah, MS doesn’t care about game sales either. It’s all about engagement etc.

Lots of things drive subscriptions. E.g $1 for 3 months. Exploiting stacking, etc. Probably the biggest drivers.

When games on the platform sell 1/4 that of the other, I guess there isn’t much choice but alter the point of reference.
Speaking of 1/4, game sales are only 1/4 of the total Playstation revenue. MTX and subscriptions are almost 1/2. The future is now, old man.

kingfey

Banned
Before anyone celebrates this like an Idiot, Remember this.

Sony ordered 80k waiver chips, While MS ordered 40k waiver chips. Amd had 150k, and kept 30k waiver.

It wont matter who sells higher. Since Sony will always make more consoles, due to the abundance waiver they have, while MS waiver is limited. Which explains the graphic data.

So the hardware sales should be 2:1 according to the waiver.

Hope this helps settle down the stupid sales data.

Once again, Both consoles aren't available on shelves. Once they are available on shelves like normal, is when both parties have enough waivers for production.

kingfey

Banned
Lots of things drive subscriptions. E.g $1 for 3 months. Exploiting stacking, etc. Probably the biggest drivers.

When games on the platform sell 1/4 that of the other, I guess there isn’t much choice but alter the point of reference.
I doubt those do anything.

3 months passes by fast, and you are stuck with 10$/15$. Look at xbox launch. It launched no game, and now we are in july, and they releasing Flight simulator. Almost 8-9 months is passed since then.

For the stacking, you need to buy 3 years worth of xbox live, aka 180$ payments and taxes. Essentially, you are paying MS in advance.

People will generally keep the sub, due to the value it generates for them. No one is gonna cancel a sub, which costs 10$/15$ a month to play 475+ games. Buying a day 1 games costs 60$, or 70$ for next gen. How much do you think people will save for this sub. That is what regular people use, in order to justify the subs.

Forums people have no clue about valuable these service is to regular people.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Even if VGCharts was accurate I'll never understand why people care about console sales unless they own stock in the company. Like as long as a console is doing well enough to make sure they'll continue making consoles (which all 3 clearly are) then it doesn't matter.
There is merit in cheering for your favorite company regarding console sales (not in a console warring way).

If the console/ecosystem/first-party studios you like has more sales, this means more revenue for that company. That ultimately translates to more first-party games, better and bigger partnerships, and more long-term support. You can be happy about the company you support doing well because ultimately you get more value as a consumer.

P.S. However, if one feels happy only because the company they don't like is doing well, then that's a fanboy console-warrish mentality.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Sony ordered 80k waiver chips, While MS ordered 40k waiver chips. Amd had 150k, and kept 30k waiver.

It wont matter who sells higher. Since Sony will always make more consoles, due to the abundance waiver they have, while MS waiver is limited. Which explains the graphic data.

Once again, Both consoles aren't available on shelves. Once they are available on shelves like normal, is when both parties have enough waivers for production.
Nah.

That would be true if MS accidentally added 40K to their AMD shopping cart when they actually wanted to order 80K. They ordered 40K because that's the demand they foresaw, and they were right as is evident by the down-trending scalper prices on Ebay (XSX down to ~$600-$700 and XSS down to $340* -- $400 with a $60 controller bundled in) and the fact that XSX and XSS are easily available off the shelf in many regions and countries.

Now, what would have happened if MS purchased 80K wafers and produced as much as Sony did? Supply would have likely exceeded demand, and you want a little bit of shortage to keep up the hype.

Wafers don't matter in this case because MS deliberately ordered 40K wafers because that's the demand they (accurately) forecasted.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
100% the X. I’ve seen the S sitting on shelves, like a lot of them.
It was a bad idea, nobody wants it, should’ve made it into a portable instead or something, that’s how people talk about it after the Steam Deck news 🤷‍♂️
A portable would have been fantastic. X competing against PS5 and S competing against Switch. But if that was too drastic, a simple X digital edition at $400 would have been much preferable because of the same SKU.

Let's see how S performs in the next year or so. I was actually thinking about getting an S before the launch, but the performance is just not what I expected. Now waiting for an X. An X digital edition, if existed, is something I might have purchased by now.

Dr Bass

You'd have a point if it were just console sales for Series X|S. It isn't though . Only Sony and Nintendo still roll via console sales. In fact, isn't counting merely console sales kind of archaic??
Yeah who cares about things like “sales” or “revenue” or “profit”.

Fredrik

A portable would have been fantastic. X competing against PS5 and S competing against Switch. But if that was too drastic, a simple X digital edition at $400 would have been much preferable because of the same SKU.

Let's see how S performs in the next year or so. I was actually thinking about getting an S before the launch, but the performance is just not what I expected. Now waiting for an X. An X digital edition, if existed, is something I might have purchased by now.
I don’t see why it would change. It has been sitting on shelves here in Sweden since the launch, you could use it for bricks to build a house if you wanted. I can get it for half the price of a PS5 now. Nobody wants it. I could possibly see it used as a kids console, maybe to play Minecraft or Fortnite 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
100% the X. I’ve seen the S sitting on shelves, like a lot of them.
It was a bad idea, nobody wants it, should’ve made it into a portable instead or something, that’s how people talk about it after the Steam Deck news
There are lots of them unsold in the UK right now.

Totally agree about the portable console, that would have been a much better move. The compromises in games wouldn't matter at all in that particular market.

What if MS wanted to sell a lower tier console for $300? How does a digital XSX sell for $300? MS is already selling the XSS at a loss. A $300 digital XSX would be in dumping territory and is not feasible. Why would someone advocate for a more expensive Xbox? Maybe the $70 games are really exciting people.

The XSS is already a better value than any other current generation console especially with Game pass and All Access. The purpose of the console wasn't to push 4k but to lower the barrier to entry into the Xbox ecosystem. A more expensive Xbox does not do that.

With regards to the XSS sales, Xbox is coming off of a horrible last generation; it is great to see it sell as well as it is. Also it is NOT readily available in the US which last I checked was the largest gaming market. As the generation proceeds the platform will get more games and the price of the XSS will drop even more making it an even better deal than it is now. A digital XSX would never be that inexpensive. Factor in that console sales aren't the only way into the Xbox ecosystem like other companies and MS has a good pathway to success this generation unlike the last one.

kingfey

Banned
Nah.

That would be true if MS accidentally added 40K to their AMD shopping cart when they actually wanted to order 80K. They ordered 40K because that's the demand they foresaw, and they were right as is evident by the down-trending scalper prices on Ebay (XSX down to ~$600-$700 and XSS down to $340* -- $400 with a $60 controller bundled in) and the fact that XSX and XSS are easily available off the shelf in many regions and countries.

Now, what would have happened if MS purchased 80K wafers and produced as much as Sony did? Supply would have likely exceeded demand, and you want a little bit of shortage to keep up the hype.

Wafers don't matter in this case because MS deliberately ordered 40K wafers because that's the demand they (accurately) forecasted.
Yet, I cant find a xsx or xss here.

MS was counting on the old gen statics, when in fact, they are in better shape than last gen.

Also remember, 40k is what they could have afforded, not choose deliberately. There was 150k total. Sony ordered 80k by negotiating. This, left 70k with and. And since AMD have their own stuff to produce, they couldn't give MS more than 40k.

If AMd had more, MS would have bought it alot.

Scalpers price also means nothing, as people are ignoring scalpers due to risk of getting bad products, especially ebay. Considering people were getting rocks on a ps5 box, instead of actual hardware.

Stuart360

Gold Member
Why? It's two different consoles compared to one. It should be closer to double.
Er i dont think it really works like that. Most people will be buying one or the other, not both Xbox consoles.

As for sales themselves, imo until both Xbox and Playstation consoles ahve been widely available on store shelves for at least 6 months, if not a full year, sales mean nothing.

What if MS wanted to sell a lower tier console for $300? How does a digital XSX sell for $300? MS is already selling the XSS at a loss. A $300 digital XSX would be in dumping territory and is not feasible. Why would someone advocate for a more expensive Xbox? Maybe the $70 games are really exciting people.

The XSS is already a better value than any other current generation console especially with Game pass and All Access. The purpose of the console wasn't to push 4k but to lower the barrier to entry into the Xbox ecosystem. A more expensive Xbox does not do that.

With regards to the XSS sales, Xbox is coming off of a horrible last generation; it is great to see it sell as well as it is. Also it is NOT readily available in the US which last I checked was the largest gaming market. As the generation proceeds the platform will get more games and the price of the XSS will drop even more making it an even better deal than it is now. A digital XSX would never be that inexpensive. Factor in that console sales aren't the only way into the Xbox ecosystem like other companies and MS has a good pathway to success this generation unlike the last one.
The XSS is selling just fine for a console that the target audience doesn't really need right now. It will sell even better in the future.

Shmunter

Er i dont think it really works like that. Most people will be buying one or the other, not both Xbox consoles.

As for sales themselves, imo until both Xbox and Playstation consoles ahve been widely available on store shelves for at least 6 months, if not a full year, sales mean nothing.
Indeed. But the plan was always about increasing market share by covering a wider spectrum of customers (premium and budget). Double obviously too ambitious.

Stuart360

Gold Member
Indeed. But the plan was always about increasing market share by covering a wider spectrum of customers (premium and budget). Double obviously too ambitious.
And long run it probably will work out like that. There is no doubt in my mind that XSS will be a hit with parents over Christmas time etc. We need consoles on store shelves though for that to really make any difference.
Plus i was meaning more that you cant expect double sales because Xbox has 2 consoles instead of one. Thats like saying PS5 has 2 versions so it should double PS4 sales. Plus with limited componants, there is a limit on how many consoles Microsoft and Sony can make anyway.
At least Microsoft has finished replacing the server blades for XCloud, so that should mean more consoles for consumers over the coming months.

John Wick

I don’t think these numbers are nowhere close to reality.

Just take in mind that MS is limited to use 40k wafers this year… even if they are very lucky (wields amazing good) they will reach around 8.5 million chips with 25% of wafers being Series X (if you increase the % you get less chips overall because Series X is bigger than Series S).

Same for Sony that is limited to 80k wafers or around 16 million chips this year.
But aren't Sony shifting to 6nm? This will surely alleviate some of the supply issues

ethomaz

Banned
But aren't Sony shifting to 6nm? This will surely alleviate some of the supply issues
2021 is already set.
If they are shifting is for 2020 or ahead.

Of course TSMC could ramp up the production by Sony request but they are clear working on limit already… all semi-conductor are actually. If TSMC could produce more do you believe we where is so scarce products in the market? nVidia, Apple, AMD, etc all wants more 7nm production.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned

*Wafer fyi

So many people are downplaying VGChartz and asking to wait for official numbers. It needs to be said that we won't get official numbers because Microsoft doesn't share hardware sales anymore.

That's as close as we're gonna get.

Vgchartz downplays PS numbers while it always overestimates that of xbox. It adjusts accordingly after official numbers are revealed. But since MS gave up in its console, we wont have official numbers from MS anymore.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Vgchartz downplays PS numbers while it always overestimates that of xbox. It adjusts accordingly after official numbers are revealed. But since MS gave up in its console, we wont have official numbers from MS anymore.
Yeah, these numbers may not be perfect. But unfortunately, that's the closest we will get until MS decides to share console sales numbers again like they were doing with Xbox 360. But I'm sure they won't do that ever again.

Probably fabricated data but going forward sales vs sales is pointless since Xbox isn’t locking its eco system behind console sales. At this point it’s best to look at game and ass growth vs PS5 sales as a metric of competition.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Yeah, these numbers may not be perfect. But unfortunately, that's the closest we will get until MS decides to share console sales numbers again like they were doing with Xbox 360. But I'm sure they won't do that ever again.
They're not the closest we'll get though because they're purely made up. They're completely useless.

MikeM

The other part of this is that a portion of Series X chips are going into servers, naturally cutting into Series X console manufacturing. Either way, Xbox is not as reliant on their console sales as PS5 is. Its cool to see that PS5 has already sold close to 10 million units by June.

Having both consoles, I have to say both are fantastic machines in their own right.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

MS was counting on the old gen statics, when in fact, they are in better shape than last gen.

Also remember, 40k is what they could have afforded, not choose deliberately. There was 150k total. Sony ordered 80k by negotiating. This, left 70k with and. And since AMD have their own stuff to produce, they couldn't give MS more than 40k.

Scalpers price also means nothing, as people are ignoring scalpers due to risk of getting bad products, especially ebay. Considering people were getting rocks on a ps5 box, instead of actual hardware.
Depends on the region. If you're in the US, they are slightly harder to find. However, in most other regions, you can easily find either an X or S. I did a quick search, and I found a Series S in NL right now at 300 MSRP delivery within 24 hours. They are readily available. PS5, on the other hand, seems like a fabled item.

Regarding wafers and affordability, that doesn't make much sense. How could Sony afford it but not Microsoft? It all comes down to projected demand. They are producing as per their demand, within available constraints. And so is Sony.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They're not the closest we'll get though because they're purely made up. They're completely useless.
But that'll be the case with any unofficial source sharing these numbers. They'd all be made up because they aren't official.

And while we will be able to match PS5 numbers eventually when Sony releases their official reports, we will never know the truth regarding Xbox numbers because MS won't release numbers officially.

John Wick

2021 is already set.
If they are shifting is for 2020 or ahead.

Of course TSMC could ramp up the production by Sony request but they are clear working on limit already… all semi-conductor are actually. If TSMC could produce more do you believe we where is so scarce products in the market? nVidia, Apple, AMD, etc all wants more 7nm production.
That's what i'm saying that the competition for 7nm is very high. Apple have already booked space for the next node at 5nm with TSMC. I think their is much less competition at 6nm. That's why Sony are shifting to it.

You know Microsoft could have outbid Sony to obtain more wafers. Why they didn't it's probably due to their expectations.

Top Bottom