• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 23

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
unknown.png

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks.
Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

launch-aligned-sales-2021-week-23-2.png

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:
  1. PS5: 7,763,924
  2. Switch: 5,008,963
  3. XSX|S: 4,668,388
Through the first 23 weeks available worldwide the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Switch and Xbox Series X|S by a fair margin.
The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 2.75 million units and is 3.10 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.34 million units.

The PS5 has sold 7.76 million in 23 weeks worldwide, while the Switch sold 5.01 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 4.67 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 23 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads.
The PS5 has a 44.5 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 28.7 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 26.8 percent.

The Switch didn't reach current PS5 sales until week 38.

launch-aligned-sales-2021-week-23-3.png

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:
  1. PS5: 3,164,400
  2. XSX|S: 2,332,978
  3. Switch: 1,836,507
Through the first 23 weeks available in the US the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Switch and Xbox Series X|S.
The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.83 million units and is 1.33 million units ahead of the Switch. The Xbox Series X|S is ahead of the Switch by 0.50 million units.

The PS5 has sold 3.16 million in 23 weeks in the US, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 2.33 million units and the Switch 1.84 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 23 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 43.2 percent marketshare, the Xbox Series X|S sits at 31.8 percent, and the Switch at 25.0 percent.
The Switch didn't reach current PS5 sales until week 39 and current Xbox Series X|S sales until week 32.

launch-aligned-sales-2021-week-23-1.png

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (22 weeks):
  1. PS5: 2,694,499
  2. Switch: 1,390,514
  3. XSX|S: 1,364,440
The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe.
After 22 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 1.14 million units and is 1.33 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 26,074.

The PS5 has sold 2.69 million in 22 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 1.39 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 1.36 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 22 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads.
The PS5 has a 49.5 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 25.5 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 25.0 percent.
The Switch didn't reach current PS5 sales until week 42.

launch-aligned-sales-2021-week-23-4.png

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:
  1. Switch: 1,355,664
  2. PS5: 641,323
  3. XSX|S: 42,486
Through the first 23 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin.
The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 0.71 million units and is 1.31 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.60 million units.

The Switch has sold 1.36 million units in 23 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 0.64 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.04 million units.
Looking at the marketshare through 23 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 66.5 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 31.4 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 2.1 percent.

Last edited:
When you're scrolling down a post and then see it's from VGChartz:
chris farley snl GIF

Well at least we know the Sony numbers are close due to official sales figures. I'm unsure about Nintendo though but I know Microsoft doesn't release them. VGs usually updates their numbers when they get official ones.

Grain of salt like always.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Well at least we know the Sony numbers are close due to official sales figures. I'm unsure about Nintendo though but I know Microsoft doesn't release them. VGs usually updates their numbers when they get official ones.

Grain of salt like always.

VGChartz was once banned here because they just guess at the numbers after calling local GameStops.

nerdface

Banned
I like that the Switch and the SeriesX/S are intertwined in that chart.

almost like destiny, next gen is Nintendo + Microsoft

I think a lot of those site bannings went away in the split. Don't know.

I mean they recently banned ElAnalistadeBits for spreading misinformation. If VGCharts does the same thing I can see them getting banned again.

I guess it really depends if they are manipulating their predictions to paint their preferred system in a better light or not.

ManaByte

I mean they recently banned ElAnalistadeBits for spreading misinformation. If VGCharts does the same thing I can see them getting banned again.

I guess it really depends if they are manipulating their predictions to paint their preferred system in a better light or not.

Those are older articles (probably around the time the site was banned here) but the Gamasutra one goes into great detail how VGChartz numbers are just guesses.

Or maybe they use official sources now since they're easily available.

Microsoft doesn't release numbers. So those aren't easily available.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

Those are older articles (probably around the time the site was banned here) but the Gamasutra one goes into great detail how VGChartz numbers are just guesses.

Microsoft doesn't release numbers. So those aren't easily available.
Yeah. I meant the other two of course.

Varteras

Gold Member
But VGChartz always does that. They post their guesses, and then go back and retroactively edits their numbers when official ones come out. Doesn't change the fact that they post guesses as "real" numbers and people believe it.
Not to mention the site's creator was booted from NeoGAF originally for being incredibly bias and making up numbers to "prove" that PS3 wasn't catching up to 360. Then when PS4 numbers started rolling in from Sony themselves he refused to adjust the numbers on VGChartz because he "didn't see how it was possible" but had no trouble with any numbers coming out for Xbox One, even though they weren't official. It took him quite a while to concede that the PS4 numbers were real and he eventually adjusted them. Not before he got into some heated arguments with people on his forums calling him out. That was a long time ago, for sure, but it's a stain on the website. It was born out of a bias desire to shape a narrative. Not for truly legitimate reporting. That's beside the point that VGChartz has quite often been very wrong but, as you said, people write articles as though the numbers are legit.

Not to mention the site's creator was booted from NeoGAF originally for being incredibly bias and making up numbers to "prove" that PS3 wasn't catching up to 360. Then when PS4 numbers started rolling in from Sony themselves he refused to adjust the numbers on VGChartz because he "didn't see how it was possible" but had no trouble with any numbers coming out for Xbox One, even though they weren't official. It took him quite a while to concede that the PS4 numbers were real and he eventually adjusted them. Not before he got into some heated arguments with people on his forums calling him out. That was a long time ago, for sure, but it's a stain on the website. It was born out of a bias desire to shape a narrative. Not for truly legitimate reporting. That's beside the point that VGChartz has quite often been very wrong but, as you said, people write articles as though the numbers are legit.

So do anything he might be either overestimating the Xbox numbers or underestimating the PS5 numbers. Assuming his bias is true of course.

I remember a little bit of this from the 360/PS3 era.

Varteras

Gold Member
So do anything he might be either overestimating the Xbox numbers or underestimating the PS5 numbers. Assuming his bias is true of course.

I couldn't tell ya, honestly. I'm not sure how much direct control he still takes of that website. There could have been changes that took out the bias. Who knows. I stopped paying attention to him and that site a long time ago. It really doesn't matter though because at the end of the day, bias or not, their numbers are frequently wrong.

Old Empire.

Actually no. Microsoft production only began late summer. If there hitting 5 millions units already, pretty impressive stuff. Just three months behind would give Sony a 2 million unit start.

Phil Spencer quote.
He told The Verge that Microsoft started manufacturing Xbox Series X/S consoles late summer, which was “a little bit behind where they were, where Sony was, in terms of building units”.

Last edited:

Woopah

It's better to use Sony and Nintendo shipments than VGchartz. I imagine we'll see Switch and PS5 crisscrossing, just like Switch and PS4 did.

Actually no. Microsoft production only began late summer. If there hitting 5 millions units already, pretty impressive stuff. Just three months behind would give Sony a 2 million unit start.

Phil Spencer quote.

And they bought less wafers than Sony. Don't forget the production between the two isn't the same.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s dumb as it’s just a matter of who can get more consoles out at this point.

Ten_Fold

I think we gonna see 30FPS and 4K. Maybe the series X will do 60FPS with 4K but I don’t think we will see a lot of 1080p games.

I think we gonna see 30FPS and 4K. Maybe the series X will do 60FPS with 4K but I don’t think we will see a lot of 1080p games.

There isn't a large power difference between the two so if the PS5 handles a game at 1440P 60FPs don't expect the XSX to play it at 4K 60FPS. I think both systems are capable of 4K 60FPs but that will be mostly for "light games". The heavier ones will most likely use reconstruction to reach 4K 60FPs and expect DRS to be common on both.

Even tho it's VGChartz, the numbers LOOK about right. I've seen some calculations with the Series systems a tad higher (closer to 4.75 million LTD), but that's about it.

Really though, all the platform holders are doing very well and this is probably the first time in the industry's history where that has been the case.

Why's that then?
Microsoft still havent found their momentum ever since the x360 days which to me was the best xbox ever. They need to start producing blockbuster exclusives like Playstation to convince people back. They are doing good in the gamepass department and bc support 4k 60 120 titles form x360 but its not enough. They need to show nextgen stuff.

And if they fail then this will be another xbone dejavu. I just cant see how they keep selling high numbers in 2 years with the current management that are still clueless to why nintendo and playstation keep outselling them generation after generation.

As for me i never trust early gen sales numbers they are very deceiving. Ill wait to see how xbox performs in a year or 2.

Riky

$MSFT
Microsoft still havent found their momentum ever since the x360 days which to me was the best xbox ever. They need to start producing blockbuster exclusives like Playstation to convince people back. They are doing good in the gamepass department and bc support 4k 60 120 titles form x360 but its not enough. They need to show nextgen stuff.

And if they fail then this will be another xbone dejavu. I just cant see how they keep selling high numbers in 2 years with the current management that are still clueless to why nintendo and playstation keep outselling them generation after generation.

As for me i never trust early gen sales numbers they are very deceiving. Ill wait to see how xbox performs in a year or 2.

You said they won't sell a single unit, well they have 23 studios making games so how does that work?

Their sales will increase as generation will progress. Starfield already looking like must have.

You said they won't sell a single unit, well they have 23 studios making games so how does that work?
NOt selling a single unit is a figure of speech, meaning theyll sell very few consoles in 2 years this has always been the norm. When ps exclusives keep being pumped out and xbox has nothing to offer.

Theyve always had studios but their studios made crap. Hellblade and ori wont push sales maybe if doom is exclusive. Majority of gamers are boys and its hard to convince boys to purchase your machine when all you make is average stuff. So until those 23 studios make enough testosterone steel and fire games theyll keep losing.

You cant keep making ori and hellblade when your competitor is making god of war.

Riky

$MSFT
NOt selling a single unit is a figure of speech, meaning theyll sell very few consoles in 2 years this has always been the norm. When ps exclusives keep being pumped out and xbox has nothing to offer.

Theyve always had studios but their studios made crap. Hellblade and ori wont push sales maybe if doom is exclusive. Majority of gamers are boys and its hard to convince boys to purchase your machine when all you make is average stuff. So until those 23 studios make enough testosterone steel and fire games theyll keep losing.

You cant keep making ori and hellblade when your competitor is making god of war.

You really are a terrible troll.
Xbox won't have "nothing to offer" as they have 23 studios making games, what you are saying makes no sense at all, as usual.
Their studios " made crap" bad trolling again, go check the metacritic for Forza, Forza Horizon, Ori, Gears or Halo games.
Ori is a great game, nearly everyone says so and the reviews prove it.

StormCell

The fact is that MS is already convincing people back. They evidently aren't that clueless since they're already promising exactly what fans have been asking for. We have a new Forza Horizon, a new Halo, and more importantly we have a new Fable on the way. Locking Bethesda down to Xbox is another very convincing move for them. If they deliver the content, people will be convinced.

As for me, instead of waiting a year or two, I'm going to play the heck out of a literal butt load of enhanced games. If after year 2 things aren't looking good, it's not too hard to sell a console and buy the other.

Their sales will increase as generation will progress. Starfield already looking like must have.
Must have how? We havent even seen anything on that game, just stories... when is microsoft going to blow anyone like ratchet n clank did! When was the last time they blew anyone up. The last time microsoft blew me away was gears of war on x360 and halo 3. Those where xbox glory days

You really are a terrible troll.
Xbox won't have "nothing to offer" as they have 23 studios making games, what you are saying makes no sense at all, as usual.
Their studios " made crap" bad trolling again, go check the metacritic for Forza, Forza Horizon, Ori, Gears or Halo games.
Ori is a great game, nearly everyone says so and the reviews prove it.
None of those games are close to what playstation produces. Only forza stands out, as for me and everybody i know none of us are interested with ori and gears... gears isnt gears anymore its crap. Like i said until i see anything remotely in those 23 studios then ill salute but until then its all bark and no bite.

Riky

$MSFT
None of those games are close to what playstation produces. Only forza stands out, as for me and everybody i know none of us are interested with ori and gears... gears isnt gears anymore its crap. Like i said until i see anything remotely in those 23 studios then ill salute but until then its all bark and no bite.
Luckily the opinion of " everybody you know" means nothing. The reviews say otherwise, Gears 5 is pretty amazing on Series consoles and that multiplayer at 120fps is a different level.
I don't know why I'm bothering as you're just trolling anyway.

Luckily the opinion of " everybody you know" means nothing. The reviews say otherwise, Gears 5 is pretty amazing on Series consoles and that multiplayer at 120fps is a different level.
I don't know why I'm bothering as you're just trolling anyway.
Gears isnt amazing whether its 120fps or 1000fps its still an average game. And reviewers are a dozen people behind a keyboard who dont speak for millions of consumers some games get 10 out of 10 and sell less some games get 2 out of 10 and sell millions.

Riky

$MSFT
Gears isnt amazing whether its 120fps or 1000fps its still an average game. And reviewers are a dozen people behind a keyboard who dont speak for millions of consumers some games get 10 out of 10 and sell less some games get 2 out of 10 and sell millions.

Well I've played the game at 120fps and I'll take the reviewers word above yours thanks.

Well I've played the game at 120fps and I'll take the reviewers word above yours thanks.
You can take the reviewers words and spencers. Im not a reviewer im a gamer and im not convincing you on your purchases. As for me ive never bought a game because a reviewer told me so. Who the hell is he she or it. I purchase a game because i think its cool. Im the judge for that not someone on some website.

I was planning to start a new thread but I'll post it here, Is there any point of me buying a Series S? I am mainly a PC gamer. I do have an Xbox One X with a back log of games that I own physically. I think I know the answer and more than likely going to talk myself out of buying one, but what are all of your thoughts?

I was planning to start a new thread but I'll post it here, Is there any point of me buying a Series S? I am mainly a PC gamer. I do have an Xbox One X with a back log of games that I own physically. I think I know the answer and more than likely going to talk myself out of buying one, but what are all of your thoughts?

First question to ask is what your PC is like? If you can handle next gen games just fine with it then maybe it's better to just stick with PC. Plus Gamepass is available on PC if you really want an additional selection of games to play.

First question to ask is what your PC is like? If you can handle next gen games just fine with it then maybe it's better to just stick with PC. Plus Gamepass is available on PC if you really want an additional selection of games to play.
I'd say my PC is capable. RX 5500XT GPU and a Ryzen 5 3600XT CPU along with 16GB ram and 1TB M.2 drive. Played RE8 with max settings in 1080p with no RT at 140 FPS. I don't have game pass but can get Ultimate for 3 months for £1.

Top Bottom