• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Donations - EU GAF show the world who's boss

MikeE21286 said:
That's complete ownage by euro gaf on a per-account-basis too. Way to go!
I was part of that. Gave them everything on my account (which was a decent chunk)... would have given them the pennies too if I could.

LimeD3

Neo Member
I actually just realized I misread the chart that was posted earlier, I apologize for this, I shall retract my statement.

Aegus

LimeD3 said:
Uhhh.... Not to ruin your high horses over in Europe, but the population of Europe is over 800 million. The population of the United states is 310 million, the population of Canada is 34 million and the population of Mexico is 110 million (note I'm not sure Mexico is included in North America PSN). It shouldn't really be surprising that Europeans donated almost double in total, Europe has almost double the population of North America and therefore likely around double the install base for the ps3. I think its more telling that a country like Canada with half the population of alot of the countries on that list is in the top 5 for donations (donating even more than Germany)...

Except the numbers show that the PAL install base is smaller than the NA install base.

LimeD3 said:
Uhhh.... Not to ruin your high horses over in Europe, but the population of Europe is over 800 million. The population of the United states is 310 million, the population of Canada is 34 million and the population of Mexico is 110 million (note I'm not sure Mexico is included in North America PSN). It shouldn't really be surprising that Europeans donated almost double in total, Europe has almost double the population of North America and therefore likely around double the install base for the ps3. I think its more telling that a country like Canada with half the population of alot of the countries on that list is in the top 5 for donations (donating even more than Germany)...

Whilst true the numbers are based on % of PSN accounts, i.e. those with visibility and the ability to make those donations via PSN. So install bases are ostensibly taken into consideration.

So in fact the PS3 has over 50% less penetration if you consider population to PSN accounts, which makes the doubling of donations all the more impressive.

/highhorse

Aegus said:
Except the numbers show that the PAL install base is smaller than the NA install base.

I wonder how many of those accounts are duplicates because NA gets shafted on all the free goodies.

Nice work though EuroGAF, I donated my time a little closer to home as my girlfriends best friend is married to a Japanese guy with family over there.

NeoZylom said:
In the meantime, Greece is going bankrupt and Europe is in economical failure :eek:

Pshht, America was going financially and morally bankrupt before it was cool.

KongRudi

Banned
I donated the maximum amount of the four options on PSNstore once, I think it where 200 or 400 NOK.

Japan should have PSVita first tough, they are definately the most loyal PSP-customers, and they did donate more than us average aswell. And I also want Everybody's Golf at launch. And it also usually seems to take the most time to localise Japan-titles. :)

Shikoro

KongRudi said:
Japan should have PSVita first tough, they are definately the most loyal PSP-customers, and they did donate more than us average aswell. And I also want Everybody's Golf at launch. And it also usually seems to take the most time to localise Japan-titles. :)

B-b-but Europe is Sony land. :(
Just kidding. :p Japan should get it first, Europe second. :D

Carl

Well done EuroGAF

Donated about £25 myself, so i did my part :)

Whole of PSN can be proud of raising over £1 million to be honest. That's a great number

Facism

so not only are we better at killzone 2, we're more generous in times of disaster.

Excellent amount of money raised regardless. I'm sure those who donated can feel proud that they've made a difference to the lives of people who needed help.

Wow, that number is fantastic! I am glad PSN users banded together to help out! It was worth it, for sure. The difference in total is totally what I expected; there is such a large PSN user base in Europe. But regardless, there should be no "embarrassing for non-Euro GAF" thrown out there because it demeans those in non-Euro GAF who donated, like myself.

$1.5m is a beautiful number for donation. You should update the thread title with the total amount raised, instead of bragging about Europe donating a higher amount than everyone else...

Ashes

Banned
Special props to gaf thread for letting me know about it in the first place!

Separately, I've been thinking... If they sell items at 4.95 or 9.95, I really don't mind them rounding up electronic change, and giving those pennies to people who need them rather then have them rot away in banks as interest.

AntiTout

MikeE21286 said:
That's complete ownage by euro gaf on a per-account-basis too. Way to go!

EcVZ2.gif

Theonik

Another thing to note though is that a lot of this is probably down to converting dollars into pounds. USD has taken a downwards spiral. That surely should affect the extent to how much the difference is due to indifference by US users.

Twinduct

Wow that's pretty awesome! I assumed it would reach around 500k tops! (Considering PSN was late to the party with the whole donation thing).

donated 5 euros.

wasn't alot but it felt good and you got a ugly PSN theme.

sucks the hackers fucked up PSN right around then. Sony could have made so much more for the red cross.

Top Bottom