• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP launch campaign in Europe - anyone seen any?

Chittagong

Gold Member
With just over an week to launch, no significant campaign has been going on in Finland. The only things I've seen so far are

- Couple of POS items in one store with the same red PSP logo as in GC05
- Sponsorship of a techno festival

Intrestingly, it seems that in Europe the official logo for PSP includes also the text "PlayStation Portable":

PSP_logo.gif

A campaign variation of the logo seen in Europe includes a red PSP shape with the logo, and a random bunch of functionality icons:

psp_front_135_c.gif

This is all I've seen.

A friend bumped into a Sony rep in the bar last weekend, and apparently there won't be a large scale launch campaign at all. Sony will promote the device more once they have more supplies. Muted launch, then.

Any news from other countries? Anyone seen any outdoors, print, cinema or TVC?

Wollan

Pre-order yours commercials on some different Norwegian websites is all I have seen.
But then again, I don't watch tv.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Chittagong said:
Intrestingly, it seems that in Europe the official logo for PSP includes also the text "PlayStation Portable"
I believe that was a change noted by PSP owners that upgraded to 2.0 firmware.

Acosta

They have started to run TV spots in Spain (quite odd I must say, I don´t know if people are going to get it). The intensity of the campaign is not huge, but they have choosen prime times to run them.

Haven´t seen that spot?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Gaijin To Ronin said:
They have started to run TV spots in Spain (quite odd I must say, I don´t know if people are going to get it). The intensity of the campaign is not huge, but they have choosen prime times to run them.

Haven´t seen that spot?

Nope, but I've been hoping to see something ever since the awesome David Lynch directed campaigns...

Acosta

Nope, but I've been hoping to see something ever since the awesome David Lynch directed campaigns...

Yeah, but that was reinforcement of brand image, it maked sense, people already knowed what was Playstation.

I would have choosen something more direct for a new product. I can´t descibe the spot at all, is quite odd (but very well done I must say).

Is that the one with red robots running around fighting each others?

The "thing" it´s red, and it transform in various forms while go moving around different locations (a museum, jumping over cars in movement...) but the spot has many secuences and it´s possible I haven´t seem them all.

Datrio

I checked some random online shops in Poland - noticed they all have promotions for the console, but nothing big, really.

Well, we also had a press release... Oh, and I found this. But no specific campaign, no.

nubbe

When is it supposed to launch? I have seen no ads or such on TV or other.
DS has ads running for a whole month… a virtually unmatched campaign for any gaming platform.

Chittagong

Gold Member
nubbe said:
When is it supposed to launch? I have seen no ads or such on TV or other.
DS has ads running for a whole month… a virtually unmatched campaign for any gaming platform.

September 1st. In 9 days.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The "thing" it´s red, and it transform in various forms while go moving around different locations (a museum, jumping over cars in movement...) but the spot has many secuences and it´s possible I haven´t seem them all.
Yeah, that's it. The thing is composed of the red PSP functionality icons. The ad was posted here couple of days ago.

[Nintex]

Its totally insane here in holland!
Every single gamestore removed its Gamecube titles and
made room for the PSP preorder campaign.
Last week I asked for killer7, friend of my said they put in the bargain bin, next to the gamecube console.
Gamecube isn't dying its dead already!

Yay first post@ GAF :)

jman2050 said:
And last lol. What exactly is that building in germany supposed to be? I couldn't make out what it was supposed to be.

I believe it was a department store. It's in the city center (old town) section of Leipzig.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There's been a REALLY heavy retail presence here in Ireland since the last week or so. A lot of stores already have their PSP areas reserved with empty game boxes and some peripherals already on sale (including some very overpriced memory sticks vs ebay).

Brosa

Here in Sweden I've noticed nothing. Ingenting - Flatline - Zilch - Nada-Zero

But I don't watch ZTV so maybe that's my problem... :D

Elios83

Here in Italy I've only seen the official preorder ads in the shops.
Considering that in late August a lot of people are still on summer holyday probably Sony is thinking that a strong marketing compaign now would be wasted.
I'd expect PSP marketing to take off from mid September on.

Top Bottom